Do i need G-Sync ?

Soldato
It is that simple.
It comes down to the best of what you want, out of what you can afford.
I will never be able to afford the PG279Q that my friend just bought, but I can save up enough to buy his old XB270HU, for example.
If you can't afford anything you want, save up and make do until then.

Exackerly!!
I just got a 980Ti, which was awesomely powerful with a 1080 screen... but even with games set to ultra on everything, I could still hear the GPU snoring and drumming its fingers!! :D

Problem for me is that the premiums certain catagories of monitors have are not worth it due to inherent limitations and QC problems. I dont feel like playing lotto with a purchase that expensive.

Soldato
Problem for me is that the premiums certain catagories of monitors have are not worth it due to inherent limitations and QC problems. I dont feel like playing lotto with a purchase that expensive.
What limitations?
QC issues are covered by RMAs, no? Both my current monitor and the one it's replacing were sent out to replace unacceptably bad deals on the original lottery models, the latter of which is a documented defect that OCUK were happy to accept as unacceptable and promptly got another out.
Quite simply, don't ditch the old one until the new one you get is confirmed as good enough.

Soldato
What limitations?
QC issues are covered by RMAs, no? Both my current monitor and the one it's replacing were sent out to replace unacceptably bad deals on the original lottery models, the latter of which is a documented defect that OCUK were happy to accept as unacceptable and promptly got another out.
Quite simply, don't ditch the old one until the new one you get is confirmed as good enough.

Take IPS for example. So fare my preferred panel type but even at 144hz its a bit blurry. You could use ULMB or something similar which helps a good deal removing blur to the point that I am certainly not bothered or even really notice it but then you run into a situation where you dont have access to gsync/freesync anymore and the screen darkens a bit to much. As i said limitations. And regarding QC issues well a lot of backlight bleeds and ips glow wont be RMAd and if you use your 14 days return here in Denmark where i live they are allowed to cut a certain % off the refund depending on condition. Heck i have had that happen to me with one company returning a perfect monitor only to have them refuse to check it on delivery and then 6 days later claim it was slightly scratched. Its just to much hassle when paying top dollar/pound/DKK to have to worry about backlight bleeding and IPS glow. It should be such a rare thing but its not.

Associate
OP
Am a bit pi**ed off got the monitor today and it looked mint then I switched it on half the way up the screen a horizontal line about a mm thick

Soldato
I recently bought a Gsync Ips. I find the high refresh rate fantastic and I find the way it masks framerate dips in The Witcher very nice.
However I am not sure how important it's been because my Gtx 1080 can put out framerates that are high and steady in almost any other game so I doubt g sync is kicking in often anyway.

I'm pretty sure all I needed was a 144hz monitor. The G sync is just an expensive addition.

Soldato
And regarding QC issues well a lot of backlight bleeds and ips glow wont be RMAd and if you use your 14 days return here in Denmark where i live they are allowed to cut a certain % off the refund depending on condition.
Then may I suggest going to a shop, having them set up the exact monitor you wish to buy and, if it isn't good enough, walk away in disgust?
The more people who do this, the more shops will get narked, the fewer will buy stock not fully tested and proven, and the sooner Mfr's will up their QC.

Back
Top Bottom