do online stores have to honour price cockups?

Permabanned
Hi all,
I have found an online retailer selling chandaliers that normally go for hundreds if not thousands... my brother just placed an order for 6 because it's listed as 0.00gbp and delivery was 8.00 gbp, he gave his credit card details and has everything confirmed including confirmation emails...

does this website now have to honour his order?

and if you would like to purchase some fahaaaaaabulous chandaliers, please see this:

REMOVED

and click on the pages

Soldato
It depends on the terms and conditions which should be on the website.

It depends on the company.

Because it's listed at 0.00gbp it's probably a matter of public relations rather than the legal team, as the company clearly had no intention of agreeing to a contract at that price.

Man of Honour
Only if they've despatched the goods. They can't then turn around and demand a load of money because the price is wrong - though as above somewhat depends on terms and conditions and if it is very obviously wrong rather than say £140 instead of £180 rather than £0 instead of £1000 they might have some slight chance of recompense under law.

Soldato
Depends how automated their process is.

I used to work for a company that accidentally put an expensive item on their site for substantially less. because the site was set up to auto submit the order to the warehouse and the warehouse monkeys don't check the order value, several were shipped before it was spotted.

But no they do not have to honour it if spotted.

Man of Honour
and the warehouse monkeys don't check the order value

This is one thing that bothers me - I've worked in a few warehouses in my time and if something like a glaring error of that nature comes up most would just carry on with the job as normal - me personally I just couldn't switch off and accept no responsibility like that.

Soldato
This is one thing that bothers me - I've worked in a few warehouses in my time and if something like a glaring error of that nature comes up most would just carry on with the job as normal - me personally I just couldn't switch off and accept no responsibility like that.

to be fair the pick note wouldnt have the value on so the pickers wouldnt, err, pick it up. and the despatch guys would only be concerned about items and quantities to check values (there were always offers and discounts on so would be hard to keep track) before sealing the labelling.

Soldato

Curious, why does it bother you?

Permabanned
OP
love these comments - yes I said to him they would probably cancel it :)

and yes if he had put one through, maybe he'd have been lucky... he said his company made a similar mistake in the past and they had to honour it, but I guess we'll see ha

Man of Honour
to be fair the pick note wouldnt have the value on so the pickers wouldnt, err, pick it up. and the despatch guys would only be concerned about items and quantities to check values (there were always offers and discounts on so would be hard to keep track) before sealing the labelling.

Wasn't necessarily meaning pricing but picking or other order errors in general - in some places though you do have pricing/invoice information available during the warehouse process depending on the company and job.

Curious, why does it bother you?

Dunno I was just brought up/taught to either do a job properly or not at all and it doesn't sit right with me to be that wilfully ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom