Do people not like heated seats?

Soldato
Best thing ever, they get warm long before the engine does. I also like to have the heated seat on but keep the climate set at 16c, can't stand breathing in warm air, it's like being sufforcated.

Soldato
They were really good when we had a convertible with leather seats, they were used a lot in the winter.

But in a regular car with cloth seats i don't miss them at all.
I think it's that leather seats are especially cold when it's cold out. But cloth which i prefer aren't so it's just not required.

Similarly when it's cold I drive with gloves so heated wheel is pointless.

I think it's that leather seats are especially cold when it's cold out. But cloth which i prefer aren't so it's just not required.

Similarly when it's cold I drive with gloves so heated wheel is pointless.

Definately, the issue to me is the leather actually takes a lot longer to warm up.
I really notice now as i am used to alcantara, how cold leather feels and seems to stay feeling.

I actually think leather is a really poor material for use in cars.

Biggest issue however still remains for me, people buying second hand cars who complain the person who bought it first and paid most for it, didnt pay for a load of options they didnt see value for money from.
Want options, buy it new you bloody cheapskate :p

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replys!

My routine on a frosty morning is start engine, turn on heated seat, heated front window, hot blower and then sit with my arms folded waiting for everything to do its job.

With any luck they will bring out a trim level of fiesta that has them as standard, like my "metal" edition. Although that was probably because it was at the end of the mk7 production run and they were trying to use up all the heated seat modules they hadn't managed to sell!

Soldato
I can understand a smug feeling for those ev owners on a frosty morning where they don't leave the engine idling, wasting fuel, engine wear, to defrost,
but even with ICE, my plan is zero idling/waiting, scrape the back windows, screen and side windows are a last minute bowl of tepid water.

Sitting on cold leather (not sure mines real) seat swabs probably does nothing for the leathers lifespan(cracking), so warmth maybe beneficial there,
but, if you're keeping the car still think leather outlasts alcantara.

Soldato
I love them on the MX-5. It's almost painfully hot at times, and along with the furnace of a heater it's lovely with the roof down on sunny mornings at this time of the year :D

Soldato
I’ve had them in my last 3 cars, think I’ve used them twice in about 7 years. Once to check they worked and once to see if it would keep pizza warm on the passenger seat!

Soldato
I wouldn't buy a car without them.

Current car has heated seats, air cooled seats, massage seats and heated wheel. Remote start which below 10 degrees put the heated seats on, heated wheel, heat to windows. Over 19 degrees puts on air con and air cooled seats.

Use it every day

I can understand a smug feeling for those ev owners on a frosty morning where they don't leave the engine idling, wasting fuel, engine wear, to defrost,
but even with ICE, my plan is zero idling/waiting, scrape the back windows, screen and side windows are a last minute bowl of tepid water.

Sitting on cold leather (not sure mines real) seat swabs probably does nothing for the leathers lifespan(cracking), so warmth maybe beneficial there,
but, if you're keeping the car still think leather outlasts alcantara.

From what I can tell its a few factors, alcantara is more of a known quantity, one of the problems with leather is it can be highly varying in quality, with mosts peoples leather being positively low end
Alcantara is hard wearing, and actually far less likely to show any marks that may scuff leather, a really serious attack such as a stud I would again think the alcantara would stand up better.

Maybe 10 years on, well cared for leather could be better, frankly I wouldnt really care at that point. Its like having perfect carpet under the drivers mat, when the car is knackered ;)

For me alcantara is just nicer, its nicer to touch, isn't cold like mentioned, also I think looks nicer

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glossary/what-is-alcantara-0518

leather seats also tend to make your suits trousers shiny ;)

Soldato
I personally think I’d make more use of seat coolers - I get terribly warm sitting down for ages in the summer, even with my aircon on

Don’t find the fabric seats in my car to be cold so no need for heated seats.

Back
Top Bottom