Do we have an Evo owners thread?

Man of Honour
Fingers crossed, shortly after Christmas I'll be getting myself an 8MR or a 9, depending on what's around at the time and of course insurance prices (seeing as I'm probably moving to a London post code). I know there are a few owners on here so found it strange that there's no owners thread.

Associate
I'm on the look out for an 8 MR FQxxx currently. For the past 6 months I've been waiting for a nice Impreza STI to come up but am still waiting, so have had to begin looking at the Evos again.

Theres a lovely grey 8MR for sale down in Birmingham right now.

The Evos scare me a little, in the sense of higher insurance premiums and running costs, but I've always preferred the look of them over the Imprezas. Though the Imprezas win hands down on that flat-four burble :cool:

Whatever comes up first I'll be be buying, as slowly I'm spending my car budget on things not car related :mad:

Soldato
Evo's also trounce most Imprezza's when it comes to driver feel and handling. :)

I keep hearing how direct the steering feels. From my limited time in new-age imprezas, I was disappointed in how lardy they felt, even the mighty RB320. Brakes also felt surprisingly soft too.

Careful now boys, you'll upset Kosta and co :p

The steering feel is a double edged sword. It's wonderfully direct, but makes driving anything else seem like you are stirring porridge.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Not to upset the EVO 8 owners here, they are superb but my oppinion is the 9 is well worth the extra due to the MIVEC and quicker spooling turbo's, though maybe that is just something on the FQ models.

If an 8 can be mapped to hit peak torque around 3000rpm then great, but if not the 9 FQ's pretty much do that out the box. :)

Irrelevent they are all pretty epic and out of the box are without doubt better than Scoobies, but as with anything a Scooby can be made as good and better, Kosta's Scoob is evidence of that. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Gibbo, I know the 9 is better, and I use better a loose term, I'm not going to buy a 9 over an 8MR if I spot a mint one. I'm going to judge which one to get at the time and I'll be buying mainly on condition. The car will be garaged and only used at weekends so the better condition car the better for me, be it an MR or a 9. :)

Soldato
I've got a more civilised and more practical Evo...

Picture046.jpg

OcUK Staff
Gibbo, I know the 9 is better, and I use better a loose term, I'm not going to buy a 9 over an 8MR if I spot a mint one. I'm going to judge which one to get at the time and I'll be buying mainly on condition. The car will be garaged and only used at weekends so the better condition car the better for me, be it an MR or a 9. :)

Agreed always buy on condition rather than age. :)

If 8k gets you a ropey 9 but a great 8 then of course it makes sense.

Man of Honour
OP
I saw a lovely looking blue 9 the other week for a sensible price, shame I can't justify buying one till I move and start my new job.

Back
Top Bottom