1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you bay leaf bro?

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Merlin5, May 11, 2019.

1. Jasoncmor

Gangster

I recently bought a small bay tree that I plan to keep in a pot, only cost me £7.50 so once it starts to grow it will be rewarding having my own supply of leaves.

2. Merlin5

Capodecina

Dried leaves can be frozen. I put my jar in the freezer.
    Also, dried has the advantage of longer storage.

"While the flavor results of fresh vs. dried bay leaves are not that different, fresh bay leaves are often much more expensive and do not last as long as dried bay leaves."

3. Tuppy_Glossop

Mobster

They last as long as you want when they are on the tree. And they have more flavour when you take them off.

4. jpaul

Soldato

but there's no moisture to freeze ? I would expect the condensation from room air, when removing a few would be more detrimental.
    using a (vacuuvin) vacuum container would be better to avoid oxidation.

5. Bear

Capodecina

Virtually any other herb I can recognise the flavour but despite putting bay leaves in my meals I cook, I couldnt tell you what Bay tastes like

6. montymint

Mobster

I too stopped buying bay leaves after I found the sauces I normally add one or two to had no real discernible differences in taste

7. jpaul

Soldato

lol ... when you fish the leaves out, and lick them, you know what the taste is ...

- with dry leaves, unless it's a long simmer/leave it overnight, the flavours not going to get out.

8. CircleFaust

Mobster

haven't bought them in years now, found i would use a couple then they would lie in the cupboard
    have never experimented to see if there is much difference but doubt there would be a lot
    sorry bay leaves, i'm leavings you bye bye

9. Jasoncmor

Gangster

Do you have to dry the leaves before cooking them? Or can you just pick them fresh and chuck them in the pan?

Cheers

10. spruceant

Associate

Bay leaves flavour will mainly be noticeable in fatty foods. Try making a bechamel sauce without a bay leaf and you will notice the difference. Almost to the point that it is tasteless

11. Blue160

Mobster

I've got a small bay tree outside the back door. Easy to pop out and snip a couple of leaves off when cooking. I'd agree the dried leaves from the supermarket don't have much flavour, but fresh ones are great.

12. robj20

Sgarrista

Aldi have bay trees in soon. Might get myself one.