Poll: Do you buy games digitally or on disk?

How do you buy your games?

• Digitally

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Disc / Cart

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Mostly digital but the odd disc

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • Mostly disc but the odd digital

Votes: 34 32.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I don’t know why Sony just don’t go to a purely subscription model….I hate subscriptions for PC software like plugins and DAW…but for Games just like Netflix a lower subscription price and have access to the whole catalogue would get millions signing up…
I'm fairly certain with Sony, it's greed and an unwillingness to embrace change to benefit the consumer; iirc they put a spanner in the works with crossplay between Xbone and PS4 last gen.

I think all PS owners would love something like gamepass, especially with the techniques to make it like a quid a month -that would be perfection! It's already pretty scummy that you have to pony up to play MP, but it's been like that since PS3 iirc.

Soldato
I don’t know why Sony just don’t go to a purely subscription model….I hate subscriptions for PC software like plugins and DAW…but for Games just like Netflix a lower subscription price and have access to the whole catalogue would get millions signing up…

I'd assume they've done the calculations and come to the conclusion that, for the moment, there's more money to be had by selling first-party games and having a subscription to go alongside it. MS have gone a different route but their strategy involves more than just the Xbox consoles now and they have the money in the bank to support it.

People already complain about the PS Plus price rises, the cost of a service that includes all first-party games at launch would be quite significant.

Soldato
Yah. Cause that’s working out really well for Xbox. Look at the trash they’re releasing on gamepass.

Soldato
Because they would not recoup their money. You’d have people signing up for a month of a sub for £10 playing a brand new £70 game and then letting their sub lapse. The recent leaks showed that the recent Ratchet and Clank game has yet to turn a profit and Forbidden West has sold millions less then the previous game. Microsoft has unlimited money to throw at their sub to make it succeed.

Soldato
Ive not looked at Game pass...Is it not very good?
Game Pass is subjectively better as it gets quite a lot of AA games day-one and also Microsoft first party day-one. But since Microsoft has a lot smaller market share they would pay a lot less for games than Sony.

But the Plus Essential games have an advantage as they are always attached to your account so if you have an active sub you can always play them. GP is all catalogue games now that will get rotated out over time except for Microsoft games.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Game Pass is subjectively better as it gets quite a lot of AA games day-one and also Microsoft first party day-one. But since Microsoft has a lot smaller market share they would pay a lot less for games than Sony.

But the Plus Essential games have an advantage as they are always attached to your account so if you have an active sub you can always play them. GP is all catalogue games now that will get rotated out over time except for Microsoft games.
If you’re on extra or premium do the monthly games attach aswell?

Caporegime
OP
Because they would not recoup their money. You’d have people signing up for a month of a sub for £10 playing a brand new £70 game and then letting their sub lapse. The recent leaks showed that the recent Ratchet and Clank game has yet to turn a profit and Forbidden West has sold millions less then the previous game. Microsoft has unlimited money to throw at their sub to make it succeed.
Thanks for the explanation…:)

Soldato
Been digital for a long time now. It's just more convenient to purchase directly from the dashboard even if it does tend to be more expensive but that's just the way it is these days

Soldato
Depends on the system really. I still buy the odd game (disc) for PS3 and 360, although PC is obviously all digital. On the Nintendo Switch, I game share with my daughter, so 80-90% will be digital. Normally the physical games will be single player with no online / co-op modes that we can play together, and they usually end up being for presents.

Soldato
On pc, digital. On console, it's a mix. I normally buy whatever is cheaper. Last couple of games have been digital though as they have all been games that were bundled with the console, so there were cheap codes on ebay.

Last edited:
Soldato
On pc, digital. On console, it's a mix. I normally buy whatever is cheaper. Last couple of games have been digital though as they have all been games that were bundled with the console, so there were cheap codes on ebay.
I'm exactly the same. All digital on PC and the cheapest I can find for console, which is usually disc and considering I can re-sell, it gives even better value.

Soldato
Consoles are too locked-down. Stores disappear, etc. Once it's gone, it's gone. At least when I buy digital on PC (my primary platform), I can at least envision a way of properly backing up my library.

On the other hand though, I have digital PS1 games I bought on the PS3 that can be played on the PS5, whereas my PS1 discs won't work. Sometimes a digital library has its benefits.

Back
Top Bottom