• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Do you care for Ray Tracing "now"?

Do you care for ray tracing "now"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah. Well, I guess the problem is going to be less in fantasy, sci-fi and historical games but probably still relevant. Overly realistic crashes in racers and rallies won't necessarily be a wonderful experience either. Agree on cardboard appearance. There are still some things games find difficult to do properly. There are still polygons, there are still flat surfaces that should be more three-dimensional, and there are three-dimensional surfaces that should be flatter. Foliage on walls is one of the typical problems. Zooms on foliage too. You can't really avoid pixellation or some other obvious artificiality without employing humongous amount of power… and what's ironic is that at the end of the road lies invisibility — the thing just looks like a film, not a game. And at that point we're likely to begin to miss the distinct game-like appearance. Also makes me think about how Mass Effect 1 used a grain filter to produce a film-like effect, so that it felt like watching a film but without needing as much power as a non-grainy version (emulating a clean rather than grainy tape) would have required. I think you could use a similar filter in some of the Witcher games, but I didn't like that in a fantasy/quasi-mediaeval setting.

I can appreciate the differences best when going up in the same series, e.g. TW1=>2=>3, DA1=>2=>3, ME1=>2=>3, and so on. But to tell you something, as much as I love the photo realism, I kind of really like, and really miss, the more distinctly game-like presentation of Neverwinter Nights 2 or even 1. It's good to have both. I hope someone's gonna start a new trend for comic/cartoon-style graphics, drawn rather than photographed.

I got myself new glasses yesterday, and it now feels like applying a sharpen filter on the foliage renders outside the window. I wonder if I can enable RT… oh wait. ;)

Seriously, though, at one point last year I was doing some shopping or walking over to my aunt's, I can't remember, but the landscape here (and everything else: plants, light, etc.) being very similar to Bohemia — and I was playing KCD at the time — I found myself trying to press E and crouch to pick up a plant in real life to make some potions. It was a very weird realization. And 4K in KCD already felt like walking a couple of miles from here to the forest I'd known as a child. With RT, I guess the illusion would be quite complete.

RT or path tracing don't make the games look ultra realistic like a rendered movie or something. You can have KCD doing RT with no issues and still remain the same "game feel". Already people recreated some areas of Skyrim in UT5 and with nanite and lumen (i think), look real good. Plus, some of the most advanced games out there in terms of path tracing are "simple" like a lego game, minecraft, serious sam... Personally I would love some old path traced games like Deus Ex, HL2, Mafia, Gothic 1, 2, 3... etc. :D

So basically RT just makes games easier to make while providing the "perfect" lighting and shadows even with little effort.

Plenty of people on this thread wopuld agree ; being forced to use 1080p upscaling on a £2000 gpu for ray tracing to be useable, means it isnt ready for general use. Thats Cp2077 and the RTX 3090 ofc.

I can play just fine at 1080p around 60fps on a rtx2080, Metro Exodus was fine at 5760x1080 and it dropped in 30fps range once I've got to the desert area... 3060ti is a bit faster, so for entry level point is just fine.

4k max settings is always a struggle. Even if you take out RT, rtx 3090 it seems it can't hold 60fps locked...

Caporegime
OP
Along with you insinuating that everyone who stated they didn't care about it yet....did.

I agree with you, it's the future. It's just not the now.

Read the post I replied to, tommy stating "when a poll has gone bad" i.e. insinuating that I wanted to see majority of votes saying "yes", presumably because I am a fan of RT and can see/understand what it brings to the table from both a developer and consumer POV as well as use it right "now" with good performance when others can't.... even though myself and the other RT fans stated that most will be voting for "not yet" because of said reasons.

Want to know what's funny is when highlighting that several people are stating amd can't render RT "fully" as shown in several videos from several different sources and even in matts own footage i.e. it wasn't "compression issues", nor "settings difference" (which looks like it somewhat got fixed in fc 6 later on), I get PM'd by Matt asking about it with some back and forth and best part:

Unless you are doing it to purposely mislead people, I'd politely ask you to exercise a bit more caution before throwing these unverified claims around and then passing them off as fact.

Yet....

To the 68.2% of people who voted in this poll that they do not care about RT either now or at all, I ask you to watch this video and tell me if this kind of graphically fidelity would make you change your mind?

:cry:

Caporegime
Oh boy. :eek:

I'm disappointed that you've posted private conversations here, that's not cool and I'd have expected a bit better from you to be honest. The only reason I contacted you privately was to seek some evidence about these claims you made about RT effects not being rendered properly since others were getting frustrated with the thread derailment in the VRAM thread.

As you know, when I tested the examples provided (FC6, Bright Infinite, and Ghostwire) they all turned out to be false with the effects looking the same on the 6900 XT and the 3090.

EDIT - And yes, RT reflections do work in Dying Light 2 as shown here.

Associate
It means they can never care. Not allowed to ever use ray tracing, and if they turn it on, somebody will be round with a big hammer.
But then why do we have number 4? What is the difference?
Maybe a number 2 voter will play Metro EE if you give him a 3090 and the game for free, while the number 4 voter will refuse to start the game?

Caporegime
OP
Oh boy. :eek:

I'm disappointed that you've posted private conversations here, that's not cool and I'd have expected a bit better from you to be honest. The only reason I contacted you privately was to seek some evidence about these claims you made about RT effects not being rendered properly since others were getting frustrated with the thread derailment in the VRAM thread.

As you know, when I tested the examples provided (FC6, Bright Infinite, and Ghostwire) they all turned out to be false with the effects looking the same on the 6900 XT and the 3090.

EDIT - And yes, RT reflections do work in Dying Light 2 as shown here.
Lets be honest matt, you work for amd and one of the reasons you got a position with amd in the first place was because of the passion you have for pc gaming scene and amd products. You even officially "represented" them for a time being on the forum, which meant you couldn't get as "involved" with such topics like this.... Which I believe is partly why you went back to "LtMatt" instead of "AMDMatt", that and also in a different position now i.e. not a marketing/PR rep?

In this thread, you have made several posts picking scenarios where RT has little to no impact to suit a narrative of "RT does nothing, not worth it" hence your DL 2 youtube video, much like your doom screenshot where you pick an area with virtually no glass/metal to try and show RT reflections being pointless too, much like your dlss screenshot comparison of the close up radio claiming "native is better, dlss is incredibly blurry", much like how you created the guardians bench thread but intentionally left RT off because "oh it wasn't a preset option", several people immediately called it out too etc.

There is no problem with having a bias obviously but it's a bit tiresome trying to pass of the above as being a neutral source then pm'ing me accusing me of misleading people because several sources/videos show(ed) issues (including your own videos....) with RDNA 2 hardware then you go and do DL 2 video.... then saying I added the "not yet but in future" option to suit what I wanted to see i.e. "more people to care about RT" or something along those lines... when it was Bill, yourself and several others who wanted said option....

PS. I have only seen ghostwire screenshot, not bright memory, cp 2077 ;) As noted with your own footage, it looks like it was a game(s) or/and amd driver issue given your newer footage doesn't show the issue, at least not in fc 6 anyway (although it still doesn't look as good as the 3090, 6900xt looks much lower res.). Be good to see video comparisons of same scenes as we have seen with the other sources, it appears to only affect certain aspects and not the "whole" RT scene or rather not "consistently".

Round and round we go, same people, different thread :cry:
Pretty much, it's getting tiring now, you can't post anything or have a good discussion without people jumping on your posts saying fanboi, spouting oh said source isn't trust worthy because "nvidia shills" (funny how there are no amd shills in the tech press world though and people only ever take issue with said tech press when they say something bad about amd or do something which shows nvidia in a better light...), people taking snippets to suit their narrative despite having several sources showing otherwise, people with an axe to grind posting nothing of value to any threads and just echoing the same old comments over and over again with no interest in getting involved with the topic at hand.

It's always the same, just see g vs free sync, hairworks vs tressfx, power efficiency, vram (fury x 4gb fiasco) etc. threads, just swings and roundabouts.

Needless to say, I'm taking a step back too until something worthy comes up :cry:

So if someone answered No, what does that mean? He doesn't care now but he might care in the future? But then why didn't he picked the 3rd option? :)

No basically means never will care for it, the 4th option was bit of a joke/over the top option, however, you have had people say things like this before "will never use RT". Hence why on an enthusiast forum where people spend a lot of money to get the best visuals (some can't even bear the thought of dropping from max non RT graphical options....), it's very odd to see people saying "no we don't want better graphics"....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Associate
No basically means never will care for it, the 3rd option was bit of a joke/over the top option, however, you have had people say things like this before "will never use RT". Hence why on an enthusiast forum where people spend a lot of money to get the best visuals (some can't even bear the thought of dropping from max non RT graphical options....), it's very odd to see people saying "no we don't want better graphics"....
That is indeed odd as some of the things you can do with RT look awesome and probably next generation of cards will be able to handle better some heavy RTGI or "psycho" RT reflections or both. Or those shadows in the Riftbreaker, they really look cool. I am more skeptical and i don't get excited just because a game has good shadows or GI but if a good game has these features, why not using them?
Please fully star out swearing better graphics 8 bits all the way! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom