• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Do you care for Ray Tracing "now"?

Do you care for ray tracing "now"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
I think I mentioned early on that most people are ignorant of the subject matter. Some people expect the same level of quality that we have seen from a couple of UE5 demos, while others base their answer on poor or shallow implementations such as Dirt 5, SOTR, WoW, etc. We even have some falsely believe that ye olde ways are just as good. I think this explains many of the 'Not yet but in the future' votes.

Plenty of people on this thread wopuld agree ; being forced to use 1080p upscaling on a £2000 gpu for ray tracing to be useable, means it isnt ready for general use. Thats Cp2077 and the RTX 3090 ofc.

My 3080, ASUS TUF OC, only cost £720 (£600 excl.VAT), less than the amount people spend on mobile phones, less than the amount I spend on feeding the local birds. I actually prefer the image produced by DLSS due to less shimmering, more detail.

Caporegime
OP
I think I mentioned early on that most people are ignorant of the subject matter. Some people expect the same level of quality that we have seen from a couple of UE5 demos, while others base their answer on poor or shallow implementations such as Dirt 5, SOTR, WoW, etc. We even have some falsely believe that ye olde ways are just as good. I think this explains many of the 'Not yet but in the future' votes.

My 3080, ASUS TUF OC, only cost £720 (£600 excl.VAT). I actually prefer the image produced by DLSS due to less shimmering, more detail.
I couldn't have put it better myself. Linus's video is a very good showcase of this where he just looked at SOTR and one other game to come to the conclusion it wasn't worth it :cry: HU is quite good in this sense, way back with turing, they like the majority of people stated how **** it was but in their recent videos, they have emphasised how RT is becoming more and more common and is quite a selling point going forward now.

And same, as shown by various sources, in a lot of cases dlss produces "better than native" quality, which is why I will use it even when no need for more perf. and probably also use FSR 2 over native when dlss is not present for the same reasons.

PS. 3080 cost me £660 (including delivery) :D :p And even cheaper after selling old gpus on!

Associate
£2k? Last time I checked a 3090 cost £1400?
His overall point still stands... I've mentioned elsewhere I'm more excited about upscaling, as it will bring tech like this to a much wider audience.

Just read back in this thread to see how many posts we have where people have no idea
I have, but the poll result doesn't lie. As you've pointed out, number of posts is not the same as number of individuals
Maybe it's because I work in development so can see how valuable it is from a developers/project POV too
This is much more like it. This is a very good reason, but not one that the majority sees. All I see is the consumer side, where ray tracing looks very good, but will be more exciting when more completely implemented into games. I don't think we're there quite yet.

Caporegime
PS. might be worth reading matts posts way back with the fury x 4gb vram, power efficiency, tessellation comments etc. ;) He'll soon be changing his tune on RT :D
The only one changing his tune is you with the poll options to try and add an option that makes it look like some People care about Ray Tracing. I know you are on a crusade but at least try to stick to the topic. :cry:

Caporegime
OP
The only one changing his tune is you with the poll options to try and add an option that makes it look like some People care about Ray Tracing. I know you are on a crusade but at least try to stick to the topic. :cry:

See said point Bill ;) :D

Not really, most people are "making" it out like "no one/very small minority" cares for RT when the poll shows that they do care about it either now or in the future

70.6% do "care", be that now or in the future :cry:

Also, the "not yet, but in future" option was added as requested by several people (which is why we also added the "now" to the title to get a rough idea on who cares overall as of right now, who cares about RT but not yet and who doesn't care at all and never will), originally, I was just planning on a yes and no option.

Soldato
Its only very recently the RTYX 3090 has dropped in price, for the bulk of last year they were all north of £2000 (and yes i am ignoring the unicorn dust powered official drop ones, available for the nano second they were listed, last year) I downscale games - render at 6k (or even 8k it the title is light weight such as Overwatch) and display at 4k, no fsaa and frame rate capped at 60.

Associate
See said point Bill ;) :D
I did. You changed the poll to include in the future. This had the effect of .....
add (ing) an option that makes it look like some People care about Ray Tracing.

As stated, I agreed with adding that, but you can't use those people to say that they care about ray tracing now. I can't speak for anyone else, but I chose that option as yes wasn't correct, as I didn't care enough now.
originally, I was just planning on a yes and no option.
Which changed when it was clear loads of people were not going to select yes.

Soldato
Also, the "not yet, but in future" option was added as requested by several people (which is why we also added the "now" to the title to get a rough idea on who cares overall as of right now, who cares about RT but not yet and who doesn't care at all and never will), originally, I was just planning on a yes and no option.
^^^^
WTF was all that about?:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Forget the turnips bill that's went all Nexuscabbage.:p

Caporegime
I did. You changed the poll to include in the future. This had the effect of .....

As stated, I agreed with adding that, but you can't use those people to say that they care about ray tracing now. I can't speak for anyone else, but I chose that option as yes wasn't correct, as I didn't care enough now.

Yes I know. I just thought it was a bit rich for Nexus to quote something off topic to then talk about changing ones tune.

My vote still stands btw. I do not care about RT right now due to the performance cost not being worth the image quality improvement - yet.

That might change in the future, maybe in a couple of years as performance and quality improve. Then I might be interested and might change 'my tune'. :p

Doubt I am going to change my tune in a few months though as is being predicted, we shall see. I would not say No never though and my vote reflects that.

Caporegime
OP
Its only very recently the RTYX 3090 has dropped in price, for the bulk of last year they were all north of £2000 (and yes i am ignoring the unicorn dust powered official drop ones, available for the nano second they were listed, last year) I downscale games - render at 6k (or even 8k it the title is light weight such as Overwatch) and display at 4k, no fsaa and frame rate capped at 60.
3090 launched at £1400 and has been that since launch unless people "chose" to overpay for an AIB model (3090 FE were in stock the most and lasted the longest too so it was much easier than trying to get a 3080 fe). Either way, you don't "need" a 3090 to get playable experience "now", 3070 and 3080 are capable of it too and even a 3060 to some extent, 6900xt and 6800xt do alright in the lesser RT titles and with FSR, it will also get a much more playable experience.

But as said before, it's very subjective performance and what people deem as being acceptable/good as well as the type of games you play.

Maybe read the start of the thread again :p

As per subject title.

Will get a poll created, probably keep it to basic yes and no options?

- Yes
- No
Was considering that but kind of want to keep the thread for just the here and now as ultimately every game at some point will become RT only.

Hence why I was wanting just a yes or no option to start with....

Based on several comments, I suggested these options, which majority said yes too, in fact it as your idea for the "not yet but in future option".....

Even Matt agreed with you:

Maybe a not yet? By that I mean that I do care for Ray tracing, but I wouldn't necessarily base a purchasing decision on it yet. I think it probably has a little more maturing to do.
Yes I think that makes sense and probably an option most people would pick.

Which then lead onto me suggesting the final options, which everyone agreed with:
Ok, so then perhaps these options? Along with a title change to "do you care for ray tracing now?"

- Yes
- No
- Not yet but in the future
- Never will care for it

So not sure how it was my choice? :cry:

Caporegime
3090 launched at £1400 and has been that since launch unless people "chose" to overpay for an AIB model (3090 FE were in stock the most and lasted the longest too so it was much easier than trying to get a 3080 fe). Either way, you don't "need" a 3090 to get playable experience "now", 3070 and 3080 are capable of it too and even a 3060 to some extent, 6900xt and 6800xt do alright in the lesser RT titles and with FSR, it will also get a much more playable experience.

But as said before, it's very subjective performance and what people deem as being acceptable/good as well as the type of games you play.

Maybe read the start of the thread again :p

Hence why I was wanting just a yes or no option to start with....

Based on several comments, I suggested these options, which majority said yes too, in fact it as your idea for the "not yet but in future option".....

Even Matt agreed with you:

Which then lead onto me suggesting the final options, which everyone agreed with:

So not sure how it was my choice? :cry:
My suggestion was I don’t care about it now, but I might in the future. It was not, I care about it now. :p

Associate
Like I said, I agreed with including the not yet option. But my point is you can't then claim that all the "not yet" votes are "yes" votes in relation to how they feel about it now - The poll has changed, as you pointed out.

Caporegime
OP
Like I said, I agreed with including the not yet option. But my point is you can't then claim that all the "not yet" votes are "yes" votes in relation to how they feel about it now - The poll has changed, as you pointed out.
I'm not disputing the here and now vs future votes, it's pretty self explanatory that, well I would like to think so..... Problem is you have people insinuating that all of the not yet votes means people don't care about it at all.

Now we have people insinuating that the only reason the not yet option exists is to suit a narrative from my end despite it not being my idea :D Probably because they realise it isn't showing said narrative they want i.e. to have more votes for the outright "no" option.....

Maybe we should just stick with the basic yes and no options :cry: Which tbh as I said further back would have been better because whether people care for it or not, it is going to become the norm in the "future" regardless of how people view it.

Soldato
Should be other options:

1) I have RT but choose not to use it
2) i have RT and use it WITH upscaling
3) i have RT and use it WITHOUT upscaling
4) i do not have RT and want it
5) i do not have RT but use upscaling
6)i do not want RT
7) I dont have a pc - console powerrrrrr
8) you do all have phones?

Associate
The results are quite interesting:

- 70.6% of the forum do care about RT
- 29.4% of the forum don't care at all and never will (which is weird, basically saying no, we don't want better graphics in which case, why bother with pc gaming, just get a console :cry:)
Along with you insinuating that everyone who stated they didn't care about it yet....did.

I agree with you, it's the future. It's just not the now.

Permabanned
Should be other options:

1) I have RT but choose not to use it
2) i have RT and use it WITH upscaling
3) i have RT and use it WITHOUT upscaling
4) i do not have RT and want it
5) i do not have RT but use upscaling
6)i do not want RT
7) I dont have a pc - console powerrrrrr
8) you do all have phones?

9) I care about perfromance and that's why I game at 4k :p

As far as I know the 'pro gamers' use 20" 1080p as performance matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom