Do you charge your children "keep" or rent? Do/did you pay it yourself?

We never saw it like that, our kids were never asked to be born and we had fun making them and looking after them so when they got older paying board was never going to happen as long as they remained good kids.
Like I said, 36 year old is back home for the last 18 months, earns an amazing wage and hasn't paid one penny but she would if we needed it.
I do find it said that there's some parents who have kids knowing they might get a bit more income when there kids reach working age.
That's fine if you are OK with that, that's your choice. Other parent's will either see it as help for themselves if they are struggling or to teach them a life lesson, others will view it as both.

I never paid any rent when younger, I moved away a few months after Uni and finding a job.
Recently I've moved back in with my Mum and still not paying anything.

Is that double dipping?
It does sound like it but if they haven't asked....

22 year old, pays his way most of the time if we go out etc. works full time and I charge him £50 a week. He saves most of his money, rarely goes out etc so I don’t mind. If he was peeing it up a wall I might put it up though!

So you get your kids to fund your household and you get away with just paying the mortgage, which I imagine isn’t that much at your stage of life?
No, as my children are 12 and under :p

I was just stating what my bills are and rationally thinking I'd never charge my kids a total of £600pm to live in my house!

Also when I got my current job and still living with my parents
Best thing you can do is take a chunk of their salary / part-time job as "keep money" use some of the money if you need to for shopping/elec/gas etc but put as much as possible into a savings account for them. When it's time for them to leave home for real, they will already have a nice chunk of a deposit saved without realising it.
That's what my parents did with me - though it was buying white goods, bed, furniture etc when I moved into my current flat - 14 years ago! Had the deposit in a savings account which was from the sale of the flat I had with my ex plus the deposit. My ex didn't pay a penny towards the deposit and he signed something that the deposit was 100% mine.

All I keep reading here is parents do it to teach their kids how to budget properly. People must have really low opinions on their kids intelligence if they feel they all need to be taught to budget properly. Me and my brother were never taught how to budget by our parents, we just worked it out for ourselves using our brains.

All I keep reading here is parents do it to teach their kids how to budget properly. People must have really low opinions on their kids intelligence if they feel they all need to be taught to budget properly. Me and my brother were never taught how to budget by our parents, we just worked it out for ourselves using our brains.
Exactly. You don't have to force people to learn things.

I remember paying the electric (key meter)
Then I think I got the shopping in every other week and paid some small fee for actual rent.

Felt reasonable to me as one parent who was disabled.
I do remember running up a £110 internet bill on the Dreamcast !

Not thought about my own kids (they're both young) I guess it depends on circumstances. Oldest is very sensible.... Younger one.... Hmm hah.

My Dad charged a small amount when I lived with him, about 200 a month back in the early 00s - I got a reduction when I sorted and paid for broadband though.

I think it's a great idea, and only fair - if you're earning, why not contribute to the household. If your parents decide to spend it, then consider it their reward for all they put into you growing up. If they are astute and put it aside for you, when you need it in later life, then all the better.

My daughter is only 3, so the best I can muster is a bit of Dad tax here and there - but when she's working, and still living with us, I will certainly look at teaching her about rent and bills

Remember, getting a good financial start in life is a must.
By kicking your kids out or charging them, you should expect the same once you reach old age.
If you kicked your child out of the home.
Then you should expect to be placed in a home at old age.
And another important point you choose to have kids, it is a lifetime relationship and responsibility.
My son always says be nice to him as he's choosing the care home

Never paid any rent to my parents. I did however contributed towards bills shopping etc.. My parents never once mentioned about how to spend my money, it just came naturally. Over in time you just adapt.
I will never ask my kids to pay rent etc.

Why? I just find it absurd that you have to charge them something to live under your roof? And the idea kicking them out as soon as they turn 16/17 is baffling.
Why have children in the first place, if you’re already thinking about charging them rent for discipline reasons, so they can get their own place asap.

I would rather enjoy the time that they are at home, cherish the moments. Be a family, have a strong family bond, have fun together. Because once they eventually move out, you won’t see them as much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom