Do you charge your children "keep" or rent? Do/did you pay it yourself?

It wasn't called keep or rent for me in the 90s in the context of kids paying to stay on at home. It was called board.

I went to uni in 1998 and came back home during the holidays and didn't have to pay board.

It was only once I graduated in 2002 and started looking for jobs when I had to pay board for the first time. While on jobseekers, I paid half of it to my parents. When I found work a couple of months later, the first £150 of my monthly wages was board but it still included everything including food.

I left home properly in late 2002 and found a bedsit for £210/month which included council tax but had to split the bills which wasn't that expensive when split between 5 people.

I still go back to my parents for the odd weekend... free of charge! :D

Soldato
I didn't pay when I was living with my parents. I was good with saving my money I was earning for university and "lent" them a sizeable lump to pay off the mortgage until I moved out. At the time they were running a guest house so an extra mouth to feed wasn't too hard when you're already feeding 15 guests. I helped out a bit and could have helped more.

Caporegime
Same, mine was a considerable enough amount to move out but it meant I already expected bills. My peers however, having £1200 go out a month was a hell of a shock.

Living at home came with losing a lot of free time to have to do "housework".

We aren't talking just dishwasher stacking etc.
One weekend I had to dig a 6ft hole.. With a spade. And then there was mowing.. With a hand mower between loads of trees.

Caporegime

One weekend I had to dig a 6ft hole.. With a spade. And then there was mowing.. With a hand mower between loads of trees.

Wasn't this normal?

Soldato
Yes. Men and women are different, and I would parent as such.

:edit: I should clarify, I'm not sure about either. I don't think I would want to with a daughter, but for I son I'm less sure.
Well everyone parents slightly differently at times based on gender, but spill the beans, what are you thinking of that might make you charge a son rent, but not a daughter purely based on gender?

Genuine intrigue..

Associate
It wasn't called keep or rent for me in the 90s in the context of kids paying to stay on at home. It was called board.

I went to uni in 1998 and came back home during the holidays and didn't have to pay board.

It was only once I graduated in 2002 and started looking for jobs when I had to pay board for the first time. While on jobseekers, I paid half of it to my parents. When I found work a couple of months later, the first £150 of my monthly wages was board but it still included everything including food.

I left home properly in late 2002 and found a bedsit for £210/month which included council tax but had to split the bills which wasn't that expensive when split between 5 people.

I still go back to my parents for the odd weekend... free of charge! :D
My son will go straight to the cupboard to see if there's any chocolate bars to eat when he comes round and the obligatory cup of PG tips

Caporegime
Wasn't this normal?

Apparently not. Not in my friendship group.
Entire Saturdays and sometimes most of Sunday were spent working.

Would have been better to let the woodland go Natural. Ie not have ridiculous tatty grass in it

Last edited:
Soldato

were your parents mobsters afiliated with the local Italian Mafia family ?...................

Soldato
My parents charged me a small amount of rent once I started working full time. £100/month I think it was, from 2003 until I moved out in 2006.

They put it aside to give to me toward a house deposit. Unfortunately, my mum told me they were doing so but they then spent half of it, so rather than it being a nice surprise, it was quite disappointing for it to be much less than expected. They never had much cash, so I don't hold it against them, just a shame it wasn't quite as nice a moment as it could have been.

I think times are so different now that it wouldn't be right for parents to charge actual rent to their kids (unless their own finances are so stretched as to make it necessary): it's so hard for them to move out with housing costs as they are. Charging them and saving it on their behalf is still a good idea though.

Associate
It doesn’t stop when they get older… a few people are moaning about the council tax going up in the village fb group, then asking for Botox appointments.

This isn’t aimed just at females, I see both genders moaning about the cost of something that is essentially then flashing the cash in regards of something that is a luxury.
Yes this goes for everything in life when someone says one thing and does another. My niece would say the were hard up and couldn't afford this or that but went abroad for holidays that wouldn't have been cheap as a family of 4

Associate
My parents charged me a small amount of rent once I started working full time. £100/month I think it was, from 2003 until I moved out in 2006.

They put it aside to give to me toward a house deposit. Unfortunately, my mum told me they were doing so but they then spent half of it, so rather than it being a nice surprise, it was quite disappointing for it to be much less than expected. They never had much cash, so I don't hold it against them, just a shame it wasn't quite as nice a moment as it could have been.

I think times are so different now that it wouldn't be right for parents to charge actual rent to their kids (unless their own finances are so stretched as to make it necessary): it's so hard for them to move out with housing costs as they are. Charging them and saving it on their behalf is still a good idea though.
Yes it will depend on the parents circumstances and how they view it themselves

Caporegime
Apparently not. Not in my friendship group.
Entire Saturdays and sometimes most of Sunday were spent working.

Would have been better to let the woodland go Natural. Ie not have ridiculous tatty grass in it

Man literally my upbringing. I only cut the grass, painted the external house, I remember emptying the garage to paint internally etc etc etc. up at 5am everyday on school holidays to go work at family business and back at 8-9pm (unpaid ofc).

Just a normal upbringing imo. A good one too, young boys should 100% have tough chores.

Back
Top Bottom