Do you have a window cleaner?

Soldato
we are on a new build estate that is still building so they get caked in dust daily, not paying for clean windows for 1 day!

our windows also release from the regular hinge and to go a 90 dengree anglein the middle of the window opening to allow you to clean them easily. once the site settles down i shall clean them myself.

we have had about 8 different window cleaners come round with prices from £8 every 2-3 weeks to £13 every 4 weeks for a 4 bed town house so 3 floors in Bolton.

Took their cards and said will think about it but i aint paying for something that takes 10 mins.

Soldato
I don't get a window cleaner myself, but a family member pays £3.50 every 4 weeks for 5 windows on a small house. It's just someone with a window cleaning round with a ladder and bucket that does other houses on the same street and area at the same time. Not one these pre-booked professional companies.

Soldato
3 bed semi in Nottingham, have all windows done front and back up and down for £8 a time. He came every 4 weeks origionally but I had it dropped to every 8 as I simply don't see the need for doing them more often than that.

Who are you using/whereabouts in Notts are you?

We briefly used a guy but wasn't reliable and I just never got around to getting a new one.

Associate
We pay £16 every 8 weeks for 4 bed with conservatory - outside windows only.

I thought that was decent but seems on the high side compared to some here.

Caporegime
I gave up on my window cleaner a long time ago as I wasn't impressed with the results, even after me pointing them out a few times.

From then on I've been cleaning them myself. However as I grow older I am longing for a window cleaner again, but a good one. They charge about £5 to do the front of the house as well as the frames here.

You don't actually need one. Our old house hadn't had the windows done in like 15 years. After that they needed done so I just called a guy out and he did them. One off fee and better than paying someone every week or month to do them as that is overkill.

I live in the countryside though. So not full of smoke and pollution with pretty clean air.

Ask yourself this. How often do you clean your car and why? Cars get dirty because they move around and go through puddles, have other cars tyres kick up stuff then brake dust, etc. Windows are fixed to a house. Rain is enough to keep them looking okay for a long time. Should only need proper cleaning 1-2 times a year with some rinses in between from a hose or pressure washer.

How often do you clean your driveway? They shouldn't be needing done unless something locally in your environment is causing them to get really dirty.

My solar panels for example will never be cleaned unless something happens which causes the need for them to get cleaned.

Soldato
You don't actually need one. Our old house hadn't had the windows done in like 15 years. After that they needed done so I just called a guy out and he did them. One off fee and better than paying someone every week or month to do them as that is overkill.

I live in the countryside though. So not full of smoke and pollution with pretty clean air.

Ask yourself this. How often do you clean your car and why? Cars get dirty because they move around and go through puddles, have other cars tyres kick up stuff then brake dust, etc. Windows are fixed to a house. Rain is enough to keep them looking okay for a long time. Should only need proper cleaning 1-2 times a year with some rinses in between from a hose or pressure washer.

How often do you clean your driveway? They shouldn't be needing done unless something locally in your environment is causing them to get really dirty.

My solar panels for example will never be cleaned unless something happens which causes the need for them to get cleaned.
Point taken, but I just like my windows clean so I can see out of them. ;):p

I have thought about a telescopic window cleaning brush that attaches to a hose for my first floor windows, however it needs to be at least 4m long, 5m+ would be best I think.

Soldato
It depends on how hard your water is. In Scotland, you can get away with spraying your windows with a hose though it won’t clean them properly. In England, especially areas of hard water, using tap water will create streaky windows that can be particularly difficult to remove. And do NOT use a pressure washer on your windows, especially double glazed ones. The pressure can break through the rubber seals, removing the vacuum between the panes so you’ll get no insulation and misting inside the glass.

With regards to solar panels, an engineer client of mine reckoned that every time his panels were cleaned (quarterly), the efficiency increased by between 5% and 10%. He did live next to a main road though.

Associate
Don't have a window cleaner, I just do them myself. 2 Bedroom flat so it only takes 10 minutes to them myself inside and out. Worked as a Window cleaner when I left school. Price up here for a 3 bedroom semi deatched is aroud £4-5

Caporegime
It depends on how hard your water is. In Scotland, you can get away with spraying your windows with a hose though it won’t clean them properly. In England, especially areas of hard water, using tap water will create streaky windows that can be particularly difficult to remove. And do NOT use a pressure washer on your windows, especially double glazed ones. The pressure can break through the rubber seals, removing the vacuum between the panes so you’ll get no insulation and misting inside the glass.

With regards to solar panels, an engineer client of mine reckoned that every time his panels were cleaned (quarterly), the efficiency increased by between 5% and 10%. He did live next to a main road though.

how much does he pay to clean them vs how much money he makes off that 5-10% improvement. for example my system only makes like £200 per year of savings.

so it would have to cost less than £10 to get them cleaned 4 times per year for it to make any sense. unless your mate has a massive system and is cleaning them himself.

Soldato
For what it’s worth, the price you pay for window cleaning varies incredibly by where you live. London and it’s immediate surrounds are ridiculously expensive. I’ve heard that £20 for a three bedroom semi is the norm. But cities are always more expensive than the towns and surrounds...

What I’ve learned is that if you want your windows cleaned, and you’re happy with the price you pay and the service you receive then stick with the window cleaner you have as there are a LOT of cowboys out there.

Associate
We live in a fairly standard Victorian terraced house, nothing excessive window wise, big bay window at the front and about 12 other windows and no access issues and I can't find a window cleaner for love nor money. Plenty of them around the area, but they are all too busy or not bothered. Lost count of the number of times I've stopped if I've seen one in a nearby street and asked the question about getting added to their round.

Back
Top Bottom