Do you keep your house/flat clean and tidy all the time?

Soldato
I can be very untidy and let things go, usually my ex gives me a telling off, but last week i gave it a really good going over and it feels so much better coming home to a tidy /clean house
It's also easier to keep up to a clean house than do a massive clean to a dirty one (note to self)

Caporegime
I live alone, never visitors apart from repair people.
it's almost pointless to clean for my self.

I shower daily, I give the shower a quick clean whilst I'm in there...

I don;t let the toilet get dirty etc, I was the dishes usually within hours of eating, I keep the kitchen counters clean.

the fridge/freezer aint been cleaned in years but it looks fine not filthy just slight stains on the glass shelves etc.

I don't dust so a lot of unused areas have a fine coating of light dust, the carpets get hoovered like every 2 weeks, hard floors maybe every 1-2 months I mop them.

bedding changed every 1-2 months.

I'm lazy but seems senseless to do more, if a repair guy is coming I spend 2 hours cleaning but maybe miss some things outside eyes would pick up on.

it's not a craphole so who cares.

when I lived with kids i always hoovered daily, washed hardfloors every other day etc but thats different I'm not touching everything with my hands and putting my hands in my mouth or playing on the floor.

I've known people who never cleaned and in their house was just filth their floors were the bin etc flies breeding everywhere, thick air.

like DAMN I would never go that bad I would be disgusted with my self, this person had 2 kids too

Soldato
I'm not a fan of unannounced visitors but we're pretty tidy/clean.

Living Room and dining room are always fine

Kitchen normally needs 2mins spent on it because we leave out herbs etc and the kitchen table can be a dumping spot at times

Bathroom is always fine

Soldato
We keep the house clean, but definitely not tidy!

Unfortunately 2 kids means stuff gets put down with "I'll sort that in a moment, just need to sort some milk/change a nappy/put on the 4th wash of the day" and finally gets put away 2 weeks later. Doesn't help that our oldest has come to the conclusion that we are here purely to wait on him 24/7 :cry:

Pet Northerner
Don
It varies depending on my mood (I have depression), but mostly the house is clean, just certain rooms get untidy if I'm lacking energy (mostly my office).

Front room and dining room are always clean, just incase people come over

Don
Much like many of the other posters in here, we're in a kind of "middle-ground". I wouldn't be embarrased if we had unexpected guests dropping round, but equally it's not kept pristine either (two kids, 9 & 6).

I always insist that the kitchen is clean before going to bed every night though, with worktops clear and all dirty crockery either in the dishwasher or washed up and drying.

I absolutely loathe coming down to the kitchen in the morning to find dirty pans / food from the night before.

Soldato
It's surface level clean most of the time and I also cannot stand going to bed with dirty dishes in the kitchen and kids toys still out.

I am quite ocd with tidyness and hate working from home in a messy house so it's been pretty clean for the past year.

Soldato
Much like many of the other posters in here, we're in a kind of "middle-ground". I wouldn't be embarrased if we had unexpected guests dropping round, but equally it's not kept pristine either (two kids, 9 & 6).

I always insist that the kitchen is clean before going to bed every night though, with worktops clear and all dirty crockery either in the dishwasher or washed up and drying.

I absolutely loathe coming down to the kitchen in the morning to find dirty pans / food from the night before.

Yep, this is probably us with the middle ground. We have 3 kids from 6 - 16 so it's always a bit of a challenge. Oh and the 2 dogs don't help that too. We have a cleaner every friday and by monday I'm already going round cleaning floors again. We have a lot of clutter, but it's generally fine for people to come over most times of the day. If someone came over now I wouldn't be bothered for example.

Soldato
Our house isn't operating room clean because we have pets (ie cat hair everywhere) but all surfaces get wiped down regularly and rooms vacuumed / floors mopped a few times a week. we do have clutter though, which we try to keep on top of. I would love to live the minimalist lifestyle, and probably would if I was a single bloke.

Soldato
I'd say yes it's tidy, we do have a cleaner on a Wednesday each week which helps i suppose. Especially as it's my mother in law who goes above and beyond (The bed doesn't need pulling out every other week!)

We then generally hoover at the weekend too, and there's no mess left lying around usually. Although we have 2 dogs that shed a lot, so whilst we're fine if someone does pop round unannounced as they often do, my wife would probably prefer to know so that we could hoover the dog hair up!

I should probably add that the cleanliness is mainly due to my wife who says her head can feel "messy" if there's stuff lying around. If i was on my own i imagine it'd be very different. Not least because i'd lose my cleaner!

Soldato
I've grown up doing chores at my parents so when I got married and got my own place it made sense to keep it clean.
Usually Sat morning after breakfast we do a quick once over of vacuum / mop and a wipe down of bathrooms.
Maybe once a month we will get a cleaner for a deep clean while were out.

I also love having people round and will always welcome visitors announced or not (I have a big family) so try and keep it presentable.

Soldato
Our house is tidy and pretty clean. Apart from the daily chores wee do housework once per week, so if we had visitors the day before cleaning it wouldn't be spotless, but the next day it would be cleaned.

The way I see it, with the cost of property as it is, is that living in a dirty messy house is a waste of money. If you don't have a place for things, you have less living space. If you stow things away, it's easier to clean and you get more square feet of living space per £ you're spending.

Soldato
I will never forget the picture someone posted of their kitchen, when they were asking about how raise the hob, so it's not burning the ends of the worktops

Capodecina
Soldato
I think that whatever is "clean" is completely relative to individual standards. I thought I was pretty clean until I moved in with my gf [now wife] who has astronomically higher cleaning standards. Everyone who comes into our flat is impressed by how it looks, it's like a show flat. Agreeing on cleaning schedules and standards has been one of the hardest things to compromise on in our relationship, but I make the effort since it's important to her.

With kids it must be a lot harder. One of my wife's friends has kids who run riot. They draw on the walls. That place is like a madhouse.

Associate
Generally we're pretty tidy, despite the best efforts of our 1 & 4 year olds.

It usually takes an hour in the evening to 'reset' the house again for the next days shenanigans. This includes finishing the washing up & putting dishes away etc, Putting the kids toys away followed by vacuuming the living room and dining room.

We're quite surprised when people come into our house and say its tidy because for us it doesn't feel it.

Soldato
Yes. For the most part anyway. We're both guilty of putting a bit of stuff on the table but nothing that can't be cleaned away within 5 minutes otherwise we frequently tidy up as we go along.

When I was younger my Mum would always say something along the lines of "keep your bedroom in a state that if you had an unexpected visitor, you wouldn't be embarrassed to let them in". Basically always lived by that as long as I've lived alone or with partners. I can't stand a messy or dirty house, I find it hard to relax.

Associate
I have definitely been getting much worse since working from home due to more time spent at home and increased laziness, but I am still only 30-60 minutes away from it being totally spotless.

Back
Top Bottom