Do you power off your PC?

Associate
Usually I leave it on 24/7, doesn't go to sleep, but it is pretty much idle but usually its doing something in the background.

It's heat goes into my flat so I guess it's not a waste? During a heatwave it might be switched off to lower the temp in the room by 0.1C.

Soldato
10 minutes? What is it that you open that takes that long?

I always turn off my PC when not using, not just overnight. As mentioned by some above, it boots up fast enough.
I often end up with 40+ windows open from various apps, most people who see my desktop are like wtf.

Preserving desktop state is important for me, but it isnt always like that, if there isnt much open, I will do a full shutdown, otherwise its a sleep. I was hibernating but sleep seems fine so use that now.

I am likely accelerating ageing of hardware though with power cycles, it will be interesting if my HDD failure rate shoots up, fans tend to stop working smoothly when I power cycle and since I stopped keeping PC on 24/7 I have done 2 replacements.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I often end up with 40+ windows open from various apps, most people who see my desktop are like wtf.

Preserving desktop state is important for me, but it isnt always like that, if there isnt much open, I will do a full shutdown, otherwise its a sleep. I was hibernating but sleep seems fine so use that now.

I am likely accelerating ageing of hardware though with power cycles, it will be interesting if my HDD failure rate shoots up, fans tend to stop working smoothly when I power cycle and since I stopped keeping PC on 24/7 I have done 2 replacements.

Over two decades I have been turning the pc off when not using it. Don't ever recall fan failure. Only fans I ever replaced was for extra cooling or one's that make less noise.

I am either lucky or you are unlucky :p

Back
Top Bottom