Poll: Do you still have an optical drive?

Do you still have an optical drive?

• Yes

Votes: 102 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 84 45.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
I have an external one, still, yes. But then, my car still plays CDs, so I have a changer in the back and burn some tunes... mainly because it's easier than fussing about with Bluetooth or whatever off my phone.

I do have three 5.25" drive bays, which now get used for things like fan controllers and self-built mods. Very useful in that regard.
I know others who use them for DACs, OC panels and random other gubbins.

Permabanned
Mine started to act up (did not even use for years), ejecting itself randomly even with data cable removed so it was an internal problem, I unplugged it and bought a external unit so I can some day get round to finishing ripping my CD's to HDD and I have some games on DVD some I have not played.

Associate
Still have 2, 1 Blu-Ray writer in the Media machine, and an old DVD Writer on the old Windows 98 Machine (for old games, but I guess I should really start to migrate them all over to disc images and Virtual Machines really).

Soldato
Not for ten years in my actual rig, I've got one in my server (which is hidden in a cupboard) that I occasionally use for ripping music.

Soldato
Nope, haven't had one for 6 years or more now. I have a USB one just in case, and a decent SATA drive from a build many years ago with lightscribe which can come in handy. But always boot from USB now. The last disc I burned was a couple of years ago for my Dell server with firmware updates.

Associate
I have one in an older machine but when I went to use it to install new MB drivers found it won't read the disks. I bought a cheap USB3 portable to replace it but in the end just downloaded the drivers before the drive arrived in the post :) I have checked the new portable and it does work so I guess it will just sit on the shelf until needed. I do have a stock of RAM disks which I bought years ago when it seemed like a good idea.

Associate
I currently use mine a fair bit, movies and music rips to mp3 or flac. Lightlyhood is i'll have one in 5yrs too. On 10yrs if 4k discs are still a thing, i will also still have one, case dependent on dictating if the drive is internal or not. Will also depend if consoles remove their drives also. Hard to say on the future, but i like physical copies of stuff i buy, saves backing up.

Associate
Even though my case doesn't have a drive bay I still use and internal drive when ripping CD's or installing older games. I just take the side panel off and plug in the SATA cable and power when required.

Back
Top Bottom