Do you take any supplements?

I was always dead set against supplements, my thought was if you eat a healthy diet you dont need to, however, someone recently convinced me that over the winter its reasonable to take Vit D and after reading up on it I decided no harm, so I do.

No, without a blood test and preferably some other more extensive tests to accurately monitor levels, you have no idea what you're doing to your system.

The quality of supplements also varies massively, with some being severely under or overdosed compared to what is stated on the label.

Even things like fish oil are often rancid by the time you get them.

As above. I was told by the GP not to take them without blood tests first. Including even extra protein for gym etc, as it can put a lot of stress on internal organs.

Last edited:
Yes and I have regular blood tests so can generally see what effects they are having on the specific markers I'm taking them for.

As above. I was told by the GP not to take them without blood tests first. Including even extra protein for gym etc, as it can put a lot of stress on internal organs.
That's a bit flawed really. What's the difference between having a protein shake Vs an extra chicken breast? Did he mention not eating an extra chicken breast.

I have 6 monthly blood tests and I'm in prime health for someone of my age.

That said, I do take vitamin D because of the benefits I get from it. Creatine because I train a lot. I do take protein supplements more these days just to get that extra protein. Otherwise everything else I get from my diet.

Vitamin D only.
Used to take Omega 3 fish oil but figured as I eat a few portions of oily fish a week not to take those, as too much omega 3 might cause prostate cancer which is not uncommon with older male relatives.
Would be interesting to see why people take certain supplements when listing them, and only those, considering the vast number of them available these days. Why does one choose Creatine for example while opting not to take other supplements?

Last edited:
COD liver oil currently, used to take a multivitamin but ran out and thought better to take a break from them after nearly a year, going to get some Vit D to start taking now the darker days / nights are starting to get here.

Vitamin D only.
Used to take have Omega 3 fish oil but figured as I eat a few portions of oily fish a week not to take those, as too much omega 3 might cause prostate cancer which is not uncommon with older male relatives.
Would be interesting to see why people take certain supplements when listing them, and only those, considering the vast number of them available these days. Why does one choose Creatine for example while opting not to take other supplements?
Creatine to increase high intensity performance.
Protein to help recover and build muscle aiming for around 2g per kg body weight per day.
Vitamin D, just seems sensible in the UK especially with a job that during most of the year I don't see daylight.

That's a bit flawed really. What's the difference between having a protein shake Vs an extra chicken breast? Did he mention not eating an extra chicken breast.

Probably because you get enough from a normal diet, then you are putting concentrated protein on top.

Probably because you get enough from a normal diet, then you are putting concentrated protein on top.
What's concentrated protein? How much is enough, and for who?
I don't get enough from my "normal" diet. It allows me to consume enough for me protein while not overdoing the calories. It's really very simple.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom