Do you take any supplements?

While I agree with the blood tests, etc. point, I generally supplement vitamin D especially over winter and find a benefit from light use of rehydration tablets with supplemental potassium and magnesium, etc. in both cases using effervescent tablets.

Probably because you get enough from a normal diet, then you are putting concentrated protein on top.

If you eat too much whether it's protein or carbs or fats they're just calories. Concentrated protein doesn't mean anything. Each gramme of protein is 4kcals as are carbs. Fats are 9kcals. Any excess gets stored and ultimately can become fat.

If you're active and do a lot of exercise getting extra protein if you need it via chicken or a protein shake will help. If you don't get enough calories or macronutrients your body will breakdown cells in your body to make up the deficit. Ultimately it's about rolling average over a week, that's how you work out your daily consumption based on an average week's activity and nutrition.

Protein supplements don't miraculously solve any problems nor do they do anything other than providing macronutrients to you. They're just a convenient and quick way of getting some of those nutrients into you.

Last edited:
By who though?

Probably labs who are subsidiaries of the company making it :D

Many many independent bodies, science research, sports scientists, academia and so on. As humans evolve and understand more about macronutrients it becomes studied more and better understood.

Refining our diets isn't a bad thing.

An example is fuel... We've moved from leaded 2 stroke to 4* fuel to 99RON unleaded which barely puts out as many emissions and provides a lot more power to your car. Why wouldn't you apply that refinement to your diets?

Food quality is arguably worse in some cases but better in others, it's up to you to fuel yourself in the way that makes your lifestyle complete.

irrelevant

"sounds good let's take some" is an outcome of the marketing department telling you what to do
Don't tar everyone with the same brush, if you're incapable of making informed decisions that's on you.
There's plenty of great information out there about nutrition it doesn't take a PHD to understand the basics.

Last edited:
Creatine is one of the most studied supplements around:
  • It's cheap
  • It's easy to take
  • There's a low risk of side effects
  • The side effects that can occur are mild
  • It has proven results relating to muscle performance
  • It appears to have other benefits like cognitive performance
Unless you're one of the rare cases that suffers from stomach discomfort, it's almost a no-brainer, especially if you're into sports.

Creatine is one of the most studied supplements around:
  • It's cheap
  • It's easy to take
  • There's a low risk of side effects
  • The side effects that can occur are mild
  • It has proven results relating to muscle performance
  • It appears to have other benefits like cognitive performance
Unless you're one of the rare cases that suffers from stomach discomfort, it's almost a no-brainer, especially if you're into sports.
I'd put of using it for so long thinking it was just for body builders. But it works really well at increasing my performance on the mountain bike. Like you say it's a no brainer and it's dirt cheap.

Some interesting newish research on creatine being able to counteract poor sleep and it's mental effects as well. Though in much higher doses (30g IIRC) than normal dosing.

I'll have the odd protein shake if I'm way off macros on a given day. Otherwise I'm trying to eat as well as possible.

Currently not training (beyond walking) atm thanks to a slipped disc, so no need for creatine.

Back
Top Bottom