Do you talk to yourself?

Associate
Yes quite a lot I think. I was told off by an examiner for talking to myself in a virtual proctored exam recently because I was working through the complex problems out loud. I've noticed it more since COVID-19 because I live abroad and haven't seen my family or friends back in the UK for nearly a year or so and I can go days without any meaningful physical social interaction so I spend quite a lot of time thinking out loud, it helps with the silence as I'm quite a chatty and social person normally. I'm sure I'll be less weird once the pubs re-open. haha.

gEd

gEd

Associate
My wife came into the kitchen and said "what did you say"
"It's ok, I was just talking to myself"
"Really? It was quite loud"
"Well the microwave was on".....

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Not much, unless its rewarding. Tho the side-effect of pulsatile tinnitus (unremoved fistula) forces me to inner speak sometimes to overcome the automatic random phony 'phonic' stimulus pattern and response information associations it creates. Lately I've started / adapted the perturbation it produces as a 'for free' more general new pattern search probe driver.

Like most folk with autism, we dont waste processing time / energy on words unless necessary.

The biggest mistake I see most often is the false assumption that there is no intelligence in the frame. Of course, the "mistake" is only a function of adaptive (intelligent) niche behaviour optomisation. That cetainly allows time for external sources of sensory pleasure essential for healthy normal external social relationships. Without which the species itself dies in a descending cascading way. This view is the einsteinian perspective (the cross-context adaptive interpretative etc conceptual superposition), obviously.

Last edited:

RxR

RxR

Soldato
As far as the practical grasp and use of the einsteinian perspective is concerned - this is rather obviously the adaptive frame of social relationship leadership and has been so since day dot.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Not often. But I did just now due to anger. Internally, of course, which annoys me.

Which means I will be taking a holiday from autistic mode. Same mind, x times faster. Possibly at falling asleep.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes but only for two very specific cases -

1. If I do something particularly stupid I will chastise myself out loud in an odd 3rd/1st person mix "Oh you dopey git, I've left my wallet at home" etc - The most common use of "talking to myself" :D

2. If I'm working an particularly complex aircraft fault, but it's done more as an overview/reminder of what has been done previously so I can relist all the symptoms, testing and results (as if I were telling someone else what work I'd done) as I find that hearing everything "out loud", as if I was being told it by someone else, allows my mind to better connect the dots to find the fault, come up with new tests that I hadn't though of previously or dredge some long forgotten titbit of system info which helps find the issue.

Like the OP I'm also a very visually intuitive person for the most part (fantastic visual memory) but I find that, for fault finding/problem solving at least, "hearing it out loud" better engages some parts of my mind than seeing it written down.

Outside of that very limited use though, no I don't "out loud" talk to myself but I do have an internal monologue and I'm amazed to hear to some people don't have one.

Back
Top Bottom