• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does a 6900XT really need a 900w+ PSU?

Associate
OP
Not 100% sure as I do not have issuew as have a 3090 on a 1600w, but I could search the posts and reread.

Interestingly, I also have a 3090 on a Corsair 850w PSU.

It's fine on every game I've played, but Cyperpunk will crash out consistently after anywhere from 5-30 minutes play.

I can't imagine it's PSU related, though, as I'd have thought over-current would be cutting power not causing instability.

Associate
Interestingly, I also have a 3090 on a Corsair 850w PSU.

It's fine on every game I've played, but Cyperpunk will crash out consistently after anywhere from 5-30 minutes play.

I can't imagine it's PSU related, though, as I'd have thought over-current would be cutting power not causing instability.

I have a 3090 on a Corsair 750w with a 3900x and it runs great. I doubt your psu is causing it to crash, likely just the game which is buggy.

Associate
OP
I have a 3090 on a Corsair 750w with a 3900x and it runs great. I doubt your psu is causing it to crash, likely just the game which is buggy.

Thanks, that was my assumption to be fair.

yes if it didnt they wouldnt say that it did mhm

You think it needs the same size PSU whether it's got a 10900k that'll pull 300-330w or a 5800x that'll pull 120-140w?

Last edited:
Soldato

You think it needs the same size PSU whether it's got a 10900k that'll pull 300-330w or a 5800x that'll pull 120-140w?

The 900w assumes you're gonna use your 6900xt which is a top of the line gpu with a top of the line cpu and even overclock it cause that's normally what people who spend 2k on a gpu would do. If you're one of those who pair entry level parts with top of the range parts then sure you can figure out your own psu requirement, you can even underclock your gpu to lower your pay some more

msi yeah obviously the 900w leaves bit of headroom especially important to try and limit complaints from people with old degradedpsu that can't withstand spikes on 12v rails

Associate
OP
The 900w assumes you're gonna use your 6900xt which is a top of the line gpu with a top of the line cpu and even overclock it cause that's normally what people who spend 2k on a gpu would do. If you're one of those who pair entry level parts with top of the range parts then sure you can figure out your own psu requirement, you can even underclock your gpu to lower your pay some more

The 5800x has the same power limits as the 5900x and 5950x, though.

Also, I certainly didn't spend anywhere near £2k on any GPU :eek:

Associate

Mildly oc 10700k that pulls about 180w according to the board software.
3090fe undervolted to 900/1950, pulls about 330w.
3ssd, 2hd, 4 ram, aio and lots of fans and fairy lights.
Most I've seen for the full system is 550w while gaming, 500 is more typical.
Boringly stable on an Asus Thor 850w.

Soldato
I am looking through here: Search Results for Query: Transient Spikes | Overclockers UK Forums

I know Cyberpunk is one very buggy overrated game and I will no doubt never play it but is it not very stressful game (like Crysis was) so could cause crashes others do not?
It is buggy for sure. Overrated? Compared to the expectations that were set, then yes it was overrated before it was released. Now? If anything it's underrated as there is so much hate flying around and folk dismissing it without giving it a chance. It's still a damn fine game and if you were looking forward to it previously, then you're only denying yourself a great gaming experience in my opinion.

Permabanned
WTF has that to do with his (the Op's) dilemma?

I have never gave Minecraft a chance but I sure as hell will not play it ever!

You do know like movie trailers you can watch gameplay video and get an idea of if it is your thing or not.

Soldato
Mildly oc 10700k that pulls about 180w according to the board software.
3090fe undervolted to 900/1950, pulls about 330w.
3ssd, 2hd, 4 ram, aio and lots of fans and fairy lights.
Most I've seen for the full system is 550w while gaming, 500 is more typical.
Boringly stable on an Asus Thor 850w.

And there is me with 3090 at 500w alone :p
I've seen over 800w from the wall with the full system going, using with those cheap wattage measurement plugs (but they don't capture transients as they aren't nearly sensitive enough not do they have the ability to output that data). Thisnis with a 5950x though, if I switched to something like the intel 10980xe there's no telling what I could do, probably over 1000w from the wall :D

Associate
And there is me with 3090 at 500w alone :p
I've seen over 800w from the wall with the full system going, using with those cheap wattage measurement plugs (but they don't capture transients as they aren't nearly sensitive enough not do they have the ability to output that data). Thisnis with a 5950x though, if I switched to something like the intel 10980xe there's no telling what I could do, probably over 1000w from the wall :D

Why do you hate dolphins? :)

I'm taking my max readings off the natty little screen on the psu, guessing they're more or less correct but as you say they won't catch transients. I've also got a 4790k at 4600 with a factory oc 2080ti strix running off an EVGA550 G2. Stripped back system, old psu but it hasn't exploded yet.

Associate
OP
Well I got a chance to game on the 6900xt properly today.

I spent 1-2 hours on Cyberpunk without a single crash.

That's on the 850w Thor PSU and Power limit maxed out - it seemed to hover around 330w according to Radeon overlay.

It'd be interesting to try the 3090 on this PSU and see if the crashes in CP go away.

Soldato
WTF has that to do with his (the Op's) dilemma?

I have never gave Minecraft a chance but I sure as hell will not play it ever!

You do know like movie trailers you can watch gameplay video and get an idea of if it is your thing or not.
Absolutely nothing to do with the OP dilemma. Simply expressing concern and pointing out to a fellow gamer that if he is deciding to not play the game based on the general mob consensus, then he could be denying himself a great gaming experience. I have over 100 hours in it and was still disappointed when it was over as I wanted more. I'm personally glad I decided to give it a shot and just wish the same for others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom