Does a car being towed need insurance?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13648096 said:
So you honestly think that you can rig the braking system of two cars up when towing?

Of course you can FOX, it isn't that hard at all :rolleyes:

Some pipe, some wires, twist them together, and hey presto, electric brakes, but I'm not entirely sure as I'm not a sparky, but it can be done, and I'm not wrong, right not wrong, Im not wrong, but maybe right if not wrong. :D:D

Caporegime
I seriously cannot wait fore the day when Yanto gets himself a car, has a crash while towing a car with an A frame with botched brakes, gets arrested for dangerous driving, a fine for all the motoring offences, and then his insurance company refuse to pay out as they discover he has fronted his insurance.

Soldato
Google came up with this:

No, Google pointed you in the direction of someone called "Ethel" on TheAnswerBank who is probably just as clueless.

This also explains where you got the terminology "A-bar" from.

Yes, with the right tools and equipment.

No standard caravans have the brakes linked to the car, it's an independent system that is operated by a linkage on the tow bar. It's not connected to the cars braking system in any way.

Permabanned
Of course you can FOX, it isn't that hard at all :rolleyes:

Some pipe, some wires, twist them together, and hey presto, electric brakes, but I'm not entirely sure as I'm not a sparky, but it can be done, and I'm not wrong, right not wrong, Im not wrong, but maybe right if not wrong. :D:D

I didn't say it wasn't hard. It would be hard. I just said it's possible, doable, which it is.

No, Google pointed you in the direction of someone called "Ethel" on TheAnswerBank who is probably just as clueless.

This also explains where you got the terminology "A-bar" from.

Yeah, so that's what google gave me. Obviously google itself didn't give me anything.

And they are called A bars in SA, well that's what we always called them on our caravans.

Permabanned
I seriously cannot wait fore the day when Yanto gets himself a car, has a crash while towing a car with an A frame with botched brakes, gets arrested for dangerous driving, a fine for all the motoring offences, and then his insurance company refuse to pay out as they discover he has fronted his insurance.

That's nice of you.

Caporegime
I haven't handed out any advice. I've simply stated what you can do do in the law. I'm not advising anyone to turn there car into a temporary trailer.

OH! MY! GOD! Do you suffer from amnesia? Or just lack the ability to read anything you have written.

Anyway, dragging this thread kicking and screaming back on topic, judging by the content in this thread (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17985489) while the car would need to be taxed to have its wheels on the road, it wouldnt need to be insured in its own right, it would just need to be covered by a policy, which could be the DoC cover of the person in it, insurance company permitting?

Permabanned
OH! MY! GOD! Do you suffer from amnesia? Or just lack the ability to read anything you have written.

No, do you have reading difficulties? Or do you just like to show lots of social conformity?

All I stated was that you can legally turn your car into a trailer so that it doesn't need tax/mot/insurance by atattching an A frame. Everybody else then started saying how you can't. When you can, I never said it is practical or a good idea. I have just been trying to say it is physically possible, and it would also providing certain things were adhered to it would be legal.

Soldato
Seriously Yantorsen, come back when you've grown up a bit. The advice you give is at best dangerous and wrong and your attitude is that of someone who won't benefit from people with years more experience, insisting that you are always right.

Eventually you will learn, maybe when you lose a limb or get arrested, but seriously, step away from any subject to which you have no knowledge, because posting here makes you look like a burke.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;13647611 said:
What, just like that? Haha, how do you suggest you do that? :p Even if by some miracle you managed to 'just connect the brakes' you'd have a non type approved braked trailer. These are... wait for it...

... Illegal. Fancy that.

Obviously you'd have to connect them up by doing some rewiring. I don't know how exactly you'd do it though. It's obviously possible though.

I'm sorry but I will be charging you for the keyboard which was damaged when I spat my Coffee everywhere. This is sole proof that your motoring knowledge can fit on the back of a 2nd Class stamp. Utterly hilarious.

Soldato
Yant i swear you quote everyone just to up the post count. 37 for this thread alone so far.

Learn to drive first and then come back and tell us all about your a-baring.

And who on their right mind, is gonna spend days and days converting their car into a trailer and dismiss the fact its a dumb ass move that doens't work and they should have got a trailer.

Back
Top Bottom