Does anyone here take creatine?

Don
he seems to have a fascination with supplements instead of hard work, this is one of a few post about starting cycling and needing various substances to help.

indeed... seems like a continuation of this: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/legal-epo-anyone-tried-it.18824760

Personally can't see the point - I'm not a professional athlete, and have no intention to be (where a 5%+ boost above and beyond whatever your actual fitness level is may be helpful).

Putting in more effort actually cycling (or at the gym) would likely yield better results than trying any such "short cuts".

Man of Honour
agreed..

@OP.. regardless of your sport...don’t get sucked in and fooled into the current marketing "need for supplements" bandwagon. Look at how even the breakfast cereal manufacturers have jumped on with their extra protein this and that; even *** Mars Bars... “Milk now with protein”!!! what the **!!

I went through a phase about 15 years ago of taking creatine.. To this day I never knew why. Maybe I did because everyone else did or i was fooled into the marektting even back then.. I'm not sure but what a waste of money so I stopped taking supplements years ago and with exception of my pocket, I don’t feel any worse off without .

Unless your at the edge of physical endurance and at the top of your game, I seriously would reconsider. Just eat a sensible diet, drink plenty of water, train as hard as you can and rest in between.

Man of Honour
I've been taking it for 2 days. What are your experiences?

In line with the previous posts, do your research. Creatine has some specific outcomes that are well-documented, but require serious commitment both in terms of training (hard enough to notice the difference) and in continuity of supplementation (6-10 weeks continuous dosing).

Associate
The effects of creatine have been studied extensively so you shouldn't really need to ask on a forum. Take a look at the peer reviewed material instead. It's dirt cheap if you stick to creatine monohydrate and won't do any harm if you stick to the recommended dosage and so on. Whether or not you'll see any benefit depends on your diet and how hard you work.

Personally, I've started using it as I'm transitioning to a predominately vegan diet and most of your body's creatine comes from animal products. Can't say I've noticed any difference in the 2-3 months I've been using it. My lifts have gone up but that could be the result of increasing the volume and intensity of my training and reducing the amount of junk food that I've been eating.

Last edited:
Soldato
Creatine is one supplement that is proven to increase performance, although only by a few %, I end up having to go pee every 20 minutes if I take it so I don't bother. As for OP, you have to take quite a bit for a number of weeks before it starts to effect, then continue to take it.

Man of Honour
The effects of creatine have been studied extensively so you shouldn't really need to ask on a forum. Take a look at the peer reviewed material instead. It's dirt cheap if you stick to creatine monohydrate and won't do any harm if you stick to the recommended dosage and so on. Whether or not you'll see any benefit depends on your diet and how hard you work.

Personally, I've started using it as I'm transitioning to a predominately vegan diet and most of your body's creatine comes from animal products. Can't say I've noticed any difference in the 2-3 months I've been using it. My lifts have gone up but that could be the result of increasing the volume and intensity of my training and reducing the amount of junk food that I've been eating.

Ah - but the benefits for vegans are actually a lot more important than just gainz. Relatively recent work shows that creatine improves memory in vegetarians... so it's actually far more important to people that don't eat fauna.

*INFERENCE ONLY* Veganism/vegetarianism is an evolutionary dead end. ;)

Soldato
It's one of the few legal sports supplements that actually does something, is cheap and is heavily researched. Doesn't make much of a difference but a 1% improvement is still better than none at all. Obviously if it made a huge difference it'd be on the WADA banned list.

Associate
I use to take cheap mono as it seemed to work best for me although you do need to wait and build I up in your system.
I found that it best benefit for me was that it would postpone the aches after a workout stopping me having down days.
I would say have a look a kreatine or purple-k creatine I did notice when I tried that it was strong and seemed to work in a couple hours, I had dry lips and a bit of cotton mouth unless I drank excessive amounts of water so be warned, but that stuff was fast acting.

Man of Honour
creatine - THE most overhyped supplement in the industry.
Absolutely zero need for it for the majority of peps lifting.

Yes and no; it is one of the few WADA-permitted ones that actually does anything, but I suspect it isn't anywhere near as hyped as supplements that make even less difference (betaine, BCAAs, brotein supplements themselves) to workouts and muscular output.

There's a reasonable likelihood that most people don't actually dose it correctly... it takes:

- 6+ weeks at 5g/day
- taking with carbs within 30 mins of consumption...

And even then most people won't lift heavy enough or train hard enough to notice.

So on that basis, it is a lot of work and consistency for not much overall gain. :)

Man of Honour
he seems to have a fascination with supplements instead of hard work, this is one of a few post about starting cycling and needing various substances to help.

It was amusing reading some reviews on supplements recently - how many people these days expect to be able to buy a pill, pop it and be superman on day one and savage the product when inevitably that doesn't happen :(

Soldato
OP
I use to take cheap mono as it seemed to work best for me although you do need to wait and build I up in your system.
I found that it best benefit for me was that it would postpone the aches after a workout stopping me having down days.
I would say have a look a kreatine or purple-k creatine I did notice when I tried that it was strong and seemed to work in a couple hours, I had dry lips and a bit of cotton mouth unless I drank excessive amounts of water so be warned, but that stuff was fast acting.

I am definitely noticing the cotton mouth.

I hope this isn't a stimulant where I end up with my eyes permanently popping out of my head and pupils dilated and all kinds of side effects like a rave pill popper of the 90's.

Soldato
OP
Yes and no; it is one of the few WADA-permitted ones that actually does anything, but I suspect it isn't anywhere near as hyped as supplements that make even less difference (betaine, BCAAs, brotein supplements themselves) to workouts and muscular output.

There's a reasonable likelihood that most people don't actually dose it correctly... it takes:

- 6+ weeks at 5g/day
- taking with carbs within 30 mins of consumption...

And even then most people won't lift heavy enough or train hard enough to notice.

So on that basis, it is a lot of work and consistency for not much overall gain. :)

I have creatine monohydride(I think that's the name). Instructions say if under 75kg then 5g for 7 days then 5g every other day and if over 75kg, 10g for 7 days then 5g every other say.

Back
Top Bottom