Poll: Does David Moyes need to go? **Spoilers**

MoyesIN or MoyesOUT?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I appreciate club threads aren't allowed, but I thought it might be a good idea to have one place for all the David Moyes related criticism and discussion, rather than every weekend football thread being derailed (if Man Utd play early in the weekend). Try and keep it about the man himself, and not general club discussion.

On from that, I am obviously very concerned. I do not expect to win anything at the moment, for me it's not about that. What I do expect is some sort of direction. What exactly is Moyes trying to do on the pitch?

5 defeats in 8 games in 2014 doesn't sound at all good, but it's more the manner of those defeats. We are getting played off the park by teams with vastly inferior players in almost every position. The team look as if they've had no coaching. They can't defend properly, especially set pieces. At times they look like they don't care as well.

Moyes and his staff have taken control of the league champions, spent £70m~ on players, and then managed to drop 7 places. Yes I know there have been injuries and the players are a year older, but that doesn't excuse it. People say it's "not his team", but he should be able to get the best out of the players he has, not moan because they can't play hoofball very well.

The fact he keeps saying "we played well" when we lose is just bizarre. I understand he wouldn't hang the team out to dry, but he seems to believe it - that this style of "football" would be doing wonders if only he had a bit more luck. The players are doing it now as well, the players who, despite not being great, have been ruthless and shown they can easily beat weaker teams if they really want to.

His position is apparently fairly secure purely based on the blind faith of Sir Alex, who thinks Moyes can emulate him. What are the chances of that? Pretty damn low. Managers who stay at a club for 15+ years are extremely rare, it's never really been common, and is even less so now.

The odds that with Moyes we get another Alex Ferguson are monumentally low, I've seen someone say it's like trying to win the lottery twice in a row with the same numbers. Moyes has to demonstrate he's got some sort of clue as to what he's doing and the direction he wants to take the club in. I don't care if we lose, as long as some sort of effort is being made.

Stability = success is the party line that keeps being rolled out. Is it true? Not really. The two most successful clubs in Europe at the moment - Barca and Bayern - have both had a combined total of 12 managers in the last decade.

I don't dislike Moyes, and I'd love nothing more than him to suddenly come good, but it's a risk and reward situation, and I'm not sure it's worth risking any more than we already have. :(

Caporegime
Yes.

I have no problem with a transition period and we hardly expected success this season. The thing about a transition period though is there needs to be progress. So far I've seen zero progress from him since game one. He's still making stupid basic mistakes on a weekly basis, he doesn't know the players and he's tactically incompetent. There is no shame in admitting we made a mistake and trying to move forward. The shame is if we stick with someone who is clearly not fit to be there just to prove we aren't like Chelsea or City.

Soldato
It's not just the fact that the manager changed though. A massive problem was the way that all the other senior coaching staff ended up leaving one way or another as well.

Don
I have no problem with a transition period and we hardly expected success this season. The thing about a transition period though is there needs to be progress. So far I've seen zero progress from him since game one. He's still making stupid basic mistakes on a weekly basis, he doesn't know the players and he's tactically incompetent. There is no shame in admitting we made a mistake and trying to move forward. The shame is if we stick with someone who is clearly not fit to be there just to prove we aren't like Chelsea or City.
That's my opinion as well. Wrong person for the job.

Caporegime
Can you have a poll with 40 options?

Who do you support and does Moyes need to go?

Arsenal - Yes
Arsenal - No
Aston Villa - Yes

etc.

:p

or just

Who do you support and does Moyes need to go?

Man Unted - Yes
Arsenal - No
Chelsea - No
Liverpool - No
Man City - No
Spurs - No

Man of Honour
OP
Poll options:

Man Utd fan - Sack him
Man Utd fan - Give him more time

Rival supporter - Sack him, wrong man
Rival supporter - Keep him, genius at work

Neutral supporter - Sack him, wrong man
Neutral supporter - Needs more time

That should work? Make it public too. :p

Soldato
I guess from Uniteds point of view it's very much a case of knowing when to hold and when to fold with the Moyes experiment. Pretty much every United fan seemed happy and prepared for a transitional period but I think their idea of a transitional period was coming 4th for a season or 2 not coming out of the top 6!!

Moyes probably needs time but how long do you give? 1 more year? 2? 3? You've got to trust him to spend 100+ million in the summer and not buy more square pegs to fit in round holes like he has already with Fellani and potentially Mata if he trys shoehorning him in with Rooney and RVP.

Nearly all of the good will he's been given is revolving round the "well Fergie needed 4/5 years to come good so we're a club which gives time to managers to get it right" fact is Fergie took control of a team which was second from bottom and hadn't won the league for 20 years, Moyes took control of the champions (admittedly a team in decline) he can't seriously expect to get even half that time in the modern game.

I'd give him till the end of the season if there's not even the hint of some shoots of recovery in their performances then it's time to write him off as a mistake and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom