Does something need to be done about dogs?

Got a source?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...involvingtheuseoffirearms/yearendingmarch2019

Says you're out by a large margin. That's total shooting murders not just those by licensed firearms.

I was talking about gun suicides

https://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/publications/168345

Over the past 20 years the number of gunshot suicides in the UK has declined by over 50% to a little over a hundred deaths per annum.

I did assume the majority would be by legally owned firearms, which is backed up by this study

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00127-005-0889-y

Sport or occupational usage was the main reason for owning the gun. Ten per cent were farmers or farm-workers. In 20% of cases the gun did not belong to the individual who used it for suicide. This was more likely in younger suicides. Seven (12.1 %) individuals used illegally owned handguns.

You can't distinguish the difference between self and others?

What does it matter, the discussion is about the ownership of dangerous objects and how licensing can reduce that risk. Suicide by gun is one of the risks associated with firearms so it seems silly to try and ignore that. In fact part of the licensing application for the ownership of firearms is about the persons mental state so it's very relevant!

What does it matter, the discussion is about the ownership of dangerous objects and how licensing can reduce that risk. Suicide by gun is one of the risks associated with firearms so it seems silly to try and ignore that. In fact part of the licensing application for the ownership of firearms is about the persons mental state so it's very relevant!

The mental state aspect tends to refer to their propensity to harm others with said firearm. If someone wants to kill themselves, they will, firearm or not. In fact, firearms are one of the least common ways to kill oneself in this country.

The mental state aspect tends to refer to their propensity to harm others with said firearm.

Not just that no, its about suicide risk too.

If someone wants to kill themselves, they will, firearm or not.

But a firearm is the most effective method by far, with a 90%+ success rate

In fact, firearms are one of the least common ways to kill oneself in this country.

You obviously know that's because they are so restricted, so people use other methods that are readily available.

So when you stated, 'Dog ownership in the UK is disproportionately high when compared with other countries.' You have no idea if that is true and just made it up :confused:

No, you misunderstand the meaning of anecdotal. I see far more dogs in London and the UK than I see elsewhere.

Dog ownership is such a sensitive issue, many people view it like children. Which is why you get so many polarised and strong views.

I think banning the usual suspects (staffies, pitbulls etc) would go a long way towards stopping attacks as it's almost always those breeds in the news.

I also think should be illegal to have a dog off a lead in public. They're fundamentally dangerous animals over a certain weight.

I tolerate them but never saw the big deal about them unless living in the sticks and having a guard dog.

No, you misunderstand the meaning of anecdotal. I see far more dogs in London and the UK than I see elsewhere.

Dog ownership is such a sensitive issue, many people view it like children. Which is why you get so many polarised and strong views.

It's not anecdotal when a simple google will give absolutes, well near enough :confused: I see more Lions in Chester zoo do I take that as a given for every place in the UK?

It's not anecdotal when a simple google will give absolutes, well near enough :confused: I see more Lions in Chester zoo do I take that as a given for every place in the UK?

Again you misunderstand the meaning of anecdotal. Might be worth taking a pass on this one mate, I don’t see what the issue is here.

You have seen more lions in Chester zoo than you have seen elsewhere in the UK: that is anecdotal. I’m sure you can Google statistics and share them if it will provide the empirical reassurance you require over a stranger posting what they have observed.

In fact, sharing those stats would maybe be on topic and helpful given some of the discussions around licencing.

Again you misunderstand the meaning of anecdotal. Might be worth taking a pass on this one mate, I don’t see what the issue is here.

You have seen more lions in Chester zoo than you have seen elsewhere in the UK: that is anecdotal. I’m sure you can Google statistics and share them if it will provide the empirical reassurance you require over a stranger posting what they have observed.

In fact, sharing those stats would maybe be on topic and helpful given some of the discussions around licencing.

I just don't understand the origin of your statement, 'Dog ownership in the UK is disproportionately high when compared with other countries.' Reading that you are stating a fact when it simply is not true and can be debunked easily :confused: You see far more dogs than what? I don't get what you are comparing to? If you gave a per capita figure then fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom