Does something need to be done about dogs?

Caporegime
Police Scotland seem to have been spectacularly dumb here:

It's one thing perhaps to give words of advice to an owner caught taking an XL Bully out without a muzzle if that's all that's happened, but after taking one out without a muzzle *and* having it attack another dog then surely the owner ought to have been charged.

Associate
Police Scotland seem to have been spectacularly dumb here:

It's one thing perhaps to give words of advice to an owner caught taking an XL Bully out without a muzzle if that's all that's happened, but after taking one out without a muzzle *and* having it attack another dog then surely the owner ought to have been charged.

It sounds like the owner claimed it wasn't an XL Bully and the police took their word for it. Thick officers because it definitely looks just like one. Shouldn't the fact it's nigh on nearly killed another dog be reason enough to seize it? Makes me wonder if it's the same dog that killed this dog as it's in the same town

My Spaniel got bitten by what looked like an XL Bully or Pitbull. It was the scariest thing I'd seen in my life and I felt helpless. Luckily the owner got his dog off mine and it was only a cut in the leg. Anytime I see a dog from a distance that remotely looks like a pitbull or XL1111 I double back on myself

Associate
Seems like there's a new serious attack every other day

should have got a longer sentence IMO

Associate
Not just that, but attacks another dog, refuses to let go and tries to cause further damage.

On that basis, it is not just a minor attack or misunderstanding, the dog was looking to kill.
Therefore the dog should be destroyed.

Soldato
Woman dies after her XL Bully dog (who she treated like a baby :/) tore her arm off.

Probably wouldn't hurt a fly, probably.

Soldato
Caporegime
Woman dies after her XL Bully dog (who she treated like a baby :/) tore her arm off.

Yikes that's a real Darwin award - she's got some sort of TikTok clip with a defiant chav doing an XL Bully rap about the dogs themselves...

Associate
Yikes that's a real Darwin award - she's got some sort of TikTok clip with a defiant chav doing an XL Bully rap about the dogs themselves...
Cant wait for our usual suspect to turn around and say its because she's an uneducated chav and it has nothing to do with the dogs breed itself.

Darwin award indeed though, a massive shame peoples own thoughts outweigh logic and science.

Associate
It sounds like the owner claimed it wasn't an XL Bully and the police took their word for it. Thick officers because it definitely looks just like one. Shouldn't the fact it's nigh on nearly killed another dog be reason enough to seize it? Makes me wonder if it's the same dog that killed this dog as it's in the same town

My Spaniel got bitten by what looked like an XL Bully or Pitbull. It was the scariest thing I'd seen in my life and I felt helpless. Luckily the owner got his dog off mine and it was only a cut in the leg. Anytime I see a dog from a distance that remotely looks like a pitbull or XL1111 I double back on myself
Me too, when walking my dog if I see a dog coming that has any resemblance to 1 of the chav favourite dogs like XL’s I go the other way.

Associate
Me too, when walking my dog if I see a dog coming that has any resemblance to 1 of the chav favourite dogs like XL’s I go the other way.

Unfortunately when my dog was bitten we came around the corner and it went for her as soon as it saw her. The squeel she made was terrible. While I shock I'm not 100% sure but I think it was a male dog. This makes it far worse of a dog than if my dog had been male. Male dogs are never meant to attack female dogs. It means the dog's level of violence is off the charts. I read that a small girl's lip was bitten off about 200 meters where this happened, so it's very possibly the same dog.

Associate

A dog killing it's owner is clearly a different level of dog aggression. Most dogs love their owners more than anything and never hurt their owners even if abused.

XL Bully's ancestors were meant to be bred from numerous dogs who had killed people. So these dogs are purposely bred for aggression against every living thing

I believe all XL Bully's should be culled. They're doing far too much damage to both people and animals.

Soldato
Well yes.. They are bread to be aggressive and powerful, it's as simple as that.

You don't see dogs like German shephards killing people or other dogs, unless they feel threatened or their owners are threatened even though they are very capable.

Maybe in very isolated circumstances where they are completely untrained.

Pit bull type dogs just seem like a ticking time bomb until they flip and cause severe injury and death to thier owners or other dogs.

Last edited:
Soldato
This time line makes grim reading, note this is only since the ban.

Timeline of suspected XL Bully attacks since the start of the ban
February 3 - A grandmother was killed by two XL Bully dogs in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex.
February 9 - A woman was bitten in the face by a 'bully type dog' in Lanarkshire.
February 10 - An eight-year-old boy was mauled by a dog believed to be an XL Bully while playing outside in Merseyside.
February 18 - An XL bully-type dog was shot dead by police after attacking another dog and injuring three people.

February 19 - A four-year-old girl was left seriously injured after she was attacked by a suspected XL Bully cross-breed in Carmarthen.
March 18 - A suspected XL Bully was killed by armed police after going on a rampage and injuring four people in Battersea, London. On the same day a three-year-old boy was mauled by a registered XL Bully in Doncaster.
April 9 - A woman was attacked in her home in the Norfolk town of Holt by an XL Bully she was looking after.
April 16 - A suspected XL bully attacked a woman in Blackpool.
April 29 - A woman was taken to hospital with serious injuries after being attacked by a bully-type dog in Kelloholm, Dumfriesshire.
May 20 - A woman was mauled to death by her two registered XL Bully dogs in Havering, east London.
May 27 - A five-year-old boy was attacked by an XL Bully in Hull.
May 28 - A 15-year-old boy was attacked by an XL Bully in Caerphilly, South Wales.

Soldato
So it seems the XL Bully breed was created in USA in the 1990`s and the man credited with breeding it claims there were not issues with it in the USA. So if that is true then could it be that the UK breeders were morons who selected for aggression on purpose and bread a nasty variant of the dog.

Last edited:
Soldato
So it seems the XL Bully breed was created in USA in the 1990`s and the man credited with breeding it claims there were not issues with it in the USA. So if that is true then could it be that the UK breeders were morons who selected for aggression on purpose and bread a nasty variant of the dog.

Plenty of incidents in the US as well though and documented on youtube. A number have been shot while charging cops too.

Mostly still just referred to as "pit bulls" over there

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom