Doggcrapp and cow pat

Soldato
OP
The fact that you're getting such crippling DOMS after the stretch stuff is a testament to the brutalising you're giving yourself! Although I guess it could add to it if you're smashing the fascia that much...

/delvis post

I think it does decrease the tightness and increase the range I can stretch said muscle before the pain of my DOMS kicks in. The calf method with the deep stretch almost eliminates the DOMS entirely.

My triceps feel dead today which makes my arms feel completely useless!

I need to correct my deadlift form for Monday's session, I think I'm suffering too much hip rise but other than the rest of the lift is good. Having only done heavy SLDL's for about 2 years the difference between the lifts has disappeared slightly. I need to sit a little lower at the beginning of the lift. Will stop the bar feeling so close to the floor too.

Soldato
OP
B3 22.02.13

DB Curl Rest Pause

17.5KG x 11, x 6, x 4

Bicep Stretch

BB Wrist Curl Straight Set

22.5KG x 20

Wrist stretch

Leg Press Calf Raise - bent knees Straight Set

110KG x 11

RDL Straight Set

110KG x 10

Hamstring stretch

Front squat - clean grip Straight Set / Widow Maker

100KG x 4
60KG x 20

Quad stretch

I substituted a specific wrist exercise over another forearm targeted curl movement as my elbows have taken a bashing and also wanted to work other areas of my forearm other than the top.

I should have done my RDL's after my front squats as advised, didn't think my back would be quite as fatigued as it was so will swap this around next time.

I could have got 6-10 reps on the front squat but am learning the clean grip and correct form. Called it quits after 4 reps as I felt my form, more so my shoulders was becoming poor. Plenty left in the legs and lots of potential for a decent front squat.

Little bit miffed as I couldn't really hit my 6-10RM on front squats so didn't feel like I fully exerted myself today.

Will stick a chart up at some point over the weekend with the last two weeks sessions in a more comprehend-able manner.

Feel quite tired and quite tight in a few places (lats & triceps) so will stretch out this weekend ready to start beating the log book come Monday.

Cheeky shot off my legs & ass to keep Wills satisfied /somuchhomo /nohomo.

k7YE

(Looking fatter than I am :()

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ka9E

ka9K

Where ever the deficit/surplus is positive the weight for the exercise will be increase so I hit the target range. Wherever it's negative the weight will be lowered.

I'll post up the workouts as I have been, for the next 4 weeks, and will then review progress for each exercise as there will be a bit more data then.

Soldato
OP
A1 25.02.13
Flat Bench - Rest Pause

97.5KG x 11, x 5, x 3

22.5KG DB Chest stretch

DB Seated Press - no backrest - Rest Pause

22.5KG x 12, x 6, x 4

Shoulder stretch

Dips - Rest Pause

BW + 26.25KG x 8, x 4, x 2

Tricep Stretch 20KG DB

WG Lat Pulldown - Rest Pause

75KG x 10, x 5, x 4

BW hang stretch

Deadlift

142.5KG x 5, x 5

Significant improvement on bench.
DB Press was tough!
As were dips.
WG pull down 5KG felt like too much of a jump so will stick a 1.25 on the stack next time.
Deadlifts felt better, hip rise snuck in again at the end of the second set. **** shape plates making the bar roll around doesn't help. Will take a little more time next time and get some more reps out at lighter weight. When I sat back a little more it felt much better. I used to always find the bar dragging my shorts up my thighs so know when I'm doing it right.

My grip is improving too, which is always good. Having normally struggled to hang for 30 seconds without my forearms turning to fire (after back working sets) I managed the full minute without any problems and then also my grip felt solid on deads too.

I need to read some others logs to see how they juggled dropping exercises they missed target reps on.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
B1 27.02.13

BB Curl Rest Pause

22.5KG x 16, x 7, x 5

Bicep Stretch

DB Hammer Curl Straight Set

15KG x 13

Bicep Stretch

Seated Calf Raise Straight Set 5 - 15 - 0

72.5KG x 10

GHR Rest Pause

50KG x 7, x 6, x 5

Hamstring stretch

HS Leg Press Straight Set followed by a widowmaker

410KG x 8
260KG x 20

Quad stretches of peace.

Felt like a good session. Added 10KG to both the SS & WM for leg press so quite chuffed with that, got more reps too on the SS as well.

Some of the Bicep exercises will stagnate shortly, might buy some smaller denomination plates perhaps some 0.75's and 0.5's for the future and just keep them on my dipping belt.

Fell over after I stood up from the widowmaker so just decided to quad stretch where I lay :cool:

Edit: excluding warm ups almost 8.5tonnes of volume over 2 sets in the space of 5 minutes. Warm up/ramping brings that nearer to 10 tonnes and 10 minutes, not bad at the end of a session! Quad stretches are agony.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A2 1/3/13
HS Chest Press -rest pause

110KG x 12, x 4, x 3

22.5KG DB chest stretch

Despite dropping 10KG, I only manage 3 more reps, perhaps my first session wasn't 120KG but swear down it was! still 1 rep short of the target.

HS Shoulder Press Rest Pause

80KG x 8, x 5, x 3

Shoulder stretch

GCBP Rest Pause

85KG x 5, x 3, x, 2 (form didn't feel great, elbows were in but just the lift itself felt unnatural)

DB Tricep stretch

HS Pull Down Rest Pause

125KG x 9, x 6, x 3

BW hang stretch

BOR WG straight set

82.5KG x 10

Rhomb/trap stretch

Not quite sure what happened with the HS chest press, unless I had loaded 100KG in my first A2 workout but could have sworn it was 120KG :/

Reasonable improvement on HS shoulder press +10KG and 1 surplus rep.

Finished the session with a couple of light deadlifts just to see if I could 're-find' my form'. Hip rise and my back angle are the main issues - resulting the in path of the bar arching away from me slightly (I always used to have contact with my thighs dragging my shorts up my legs). I also find that I'm possibly hyper extending my back by concerning myself with hamstring activation. Weather permitting I will get the bar & some plates out the garage and film a few reps/sets on Sunday.

Sorted the front squat Olympic grip so will hopefully have a more promising B3 workout next week :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How close is your CGBP grip? I always kind of wing it, but I really don't get on with going super narrow.

it was just slightly narrower than shoulder width. I get on with diamond press ups really well but just something about the same grip on a barbell feels really awkward.

Soldato
OP
B2 4.3.13

EZ Preacher Curl Rest Pause

32.5KG x 10, x 4, x 2

Bicep Stretch

BB Reverse Curl Straight Set

17.5KG x 15

Bicep Stretch

Standing Calf Raise - Smith Straight Set

80KG x 12

Stretch

Seated Leg Curl Rest Pause

50KG x 9, x 5, x 5

Hamstring stretch

Back Squat Straight Set & Widowmaker

155KG x 5
112.5KG x 12/8

Quad stretch

I could do with getting some 0.5KG plates as a 2.5KG jump for the isolation exercises is too much. That said EZ Preacher will be swapped for something else come the next B2 workout.

Everything else felt good however having had my pelvis readjusted combined with a deadlift form check yesterday up to 160KG and today's squats being deeper than need be a little back pump on the right hand side, possibly related to the correction.

That said moving forward I'll slow things down a bit and stop @ parallel and stop chasing reps. I had to rest during my widowmaker due to fatigue and also pump which was frustrating. I think that this weight for widowmakers is also too much. In the B1 workout (260 / 410 = 63%). Today's workout (112.5 / 155 = 73%) so I'll knock it down to 100KG and work from there.

Feeling a little tired after today's workout. I would like to lean up a little bit so when possible will get some cardio in on a Saturday or Sunday morning, I'll keep on top of my diet too. I will also add in some core & hip flexor work on my off days (Tues & Thurs), nothing to strenuous.

I will give this more time, at least another 3 cycles (6 weeks), and can always return to it as I have found the exercise rotation a fresh change.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A3 6/3/13

Decline Bench - Rest Pause

110KG x 7, x 3, x 2

Chest stretch 22.5KG DB's

OHP - Rest Pause

62.5KG x 6, x 3, x 1

Shoulder stretch

EZ Skull Crushers - Rest Pause

32.5KG x 13, x 7, x 3

Tricep stretch 20KG DB

CG Chin Up - Rest Pause

+6.25KG x 9, x 3, x 2

T-Bar Row - Straight Set

70KG x 11

Rhomb/trap stretch

Considering decline bench should be my strongest angle it really isn't! or at least doesn't feel it! :/

I'm fairly certain I'm not eating enough, in fact I know I'm not because I'm not particularly happy with my fat levels at the moment which is making want to not turn my body into the 'furnace' the program dictates your body should be and is probably having a detrimental effect. The carb phobia I have is partly the cause and I hope the change I'm considering to my diet will address this (below).

That said in some areas I seem to be making reasonable progress, possibly due to the exercise variation & associated benefits and in others I seem to be strugling, sometimes with the weight progression and othertimes with the exercises themselves.

I really struggle to focus on any delt activation at all during OHP, despite using the method rippetoe teaches, moving under the bar etc unless I use a static hold & squeeze at the top. I have reasonably decent shoulder mobility but just find once the bar gets past the top of my head it feels like my triceps are taking over completely.

The CBL (Carb Back Loading) train that has been taking the SA by storm has taken my eye and as I seem to get on well with IF I think that I could get on well with it too, as it is just a modification of carb timing, volume & sources.

I will get some progress shots up tonight. I really do think you need to be eating like a fat monster and perhaps be 'assisted' to make the most from this program. With the possibility of a summer holiday looming and having already started at a higher bf% than I'd have like my goals have changed somewhat and now dropping fat & maintaining my size and strength (if possible, as CBL boasts, increasing them) are the priority rather than strength and consequently size.

My mind is pulling me in all different directions, towards HST again, but I do like the variety and intensity of DC but it's perhaps not the best choice for me at the moment.

I will finish another complete cycle as I think there is progress to be made still but after that I'm undecided.

I'm more a fan of daytime shots as my anabolic lighting is just highlighting the fat/water I'm holding:

ktUi

My back has thickened up and I'm certain the extreme stretching has improved my chest definition/shape significantly but it's all hidden at the moment :( looking back over my IF/HST journal has just concreted that I need to drop around 4-6KG.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
B3 8/3/13

DB Bicep Curl - Rest Pause

20KG x 7, x 4, x 3

Bicep stretch

BB Wrist Curl - Straight Set

25KG x 18

Forearm stretch

Leg Press Bent Knee Calf Raise - Straight set

120KG x 12

Stretch

Front Squat - Straight set + widowmaker

100KG x 8, 60KG x 20

Quad stretch

RDL - Straight Set

120KG x 10

Hamstring stretch

I haven't got around to charting this all out for the next steps, which exercises would be dropped etc.

As I have started to CBL with a view to a few more cycles of HST I may well come back to this in the future. Definitely enjoyed the DC training style and will use it again when my goals require it.

Back
Top Bottom