Doing a spot of hiking

Caporegime
Who knew people had such strong opinions on footwear.
It's ocuk the land of gucci belts and honey.

one can not simply do an 8mile walk without spending large sums of money on something.

its a forum for mostly bored old people with too much money looking for a way to fritter it away.

8mile walk is now some monumental hike in the year 2024.

in the 90s we'd class that as a trip to the local shop

never had a wet ankle from walking, but then again I wouldn't be hiking in shorts...... there's these spikey things that often line the paths and cut your legs to shreds, and these insects that like to feast on human flesh

only ocuk needs a 4page thread discussing how to prepare for a 7.45mile walk along a foot path

My advice buy a dog and you can do it daily

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP

one can not simply do an 8mile walk without spending large sums of money on something.

its a forum for mostly bored old people with too much money looking for a way to fritter it away.

never had a wet ankle from walking, but then again I wouldn't be hiking in shorts...... there's these spikey things that often line the paths and cut your legs to shreds, and these insects that like to feast on human flesh

only ocuk needs a 4page thread discussing how to prepare for a 7.45mile walk along a foot path

You're really struggling with this aren't you :cry:

Caporegime

It's funny how much it seems to annoy you that people are happy to give advice to someone starting a new hobby/pastime just because they've decided to start slowly and not overdo it from day 1 :cry:

Caporegime

Yeah but he was saying he's looking to get into it.

Footwear and is priority 1 for me as a starter.

Unfortunately my feet would be wrecked if I walked 8 miles in bad footwear

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're really struggling with this aren't you :cry:
It blows my mind every time a thread comes up for someone starting a hobby that those people need to spend money first.
it's the literally conditioned into people by companies trying to sell things, you need this, you need that or you can't get started.

weren't we hunter gatherers? I wonder how far humans were walking back in the day and they did it without capitalism brain washing them.
The romans were marching Legions 20 milkes a day whilst in full armor and carrying heavy equipment needed to built a camp when they got there, that camp wasn't a few sticks and a fire either

Most people will get bored of walking within a week, I do it solo and always whilst listening to audio books so for me its something reasonably enjoyable.

Honestly without a smart watch tracking my vitals/stats I don't think I would keep up with the motivation though.

easy way to slowly lose weight if you can control your diet and not use burning calories as an excuse to eat nice things.

cycling is more fun though

Last edited:
Man of Honour
probably everything obvious has been mentioned already but i would take a powerful flashlight even if you think you would never possibly have need for one.

headlamp is.mucj better, so your hands are free

In terms of more serious advice yeah - I never go anywhere without a keyring torch (Olight EOS), but if doing hiking proper something a bit more powerful would be ideal, headlamp very useful but I'm kind of "allergic" to them personally not sure why - I'd rather just cuss and swear while trying to grapple with something and hold a light on it :cry: I'm a big fan of the Olight brand personally though a touch expensive, just don't rely on the thin bit they put between the lanyard and the body of the torch - no idea why they've still not reinforced or replaced that as it'll snap sooner rather than later.

Caporegime
It blows my mind every time a thread comes up for someone starting a hobby that those people need to spend money first.
it's the literally conditioned into people by companies trying to sell things, you need this, you need that or you can't get started.

weren't we hunter gatherers? I wonder how far humans were walking back in the day and they did it without capitalism brain washing them.
The romans were marching Legions 20 milkes a day whilst in full armor and carrying heavy equipment needed to built a camp when they got there, that camp wasn't a few sticks and a fire either

Most people will get bored of walking within a week, I do it solo and always whilst listening to audio books so for me its something reasonably enjoyable.

Honestly without a smart watch tracking my vitals/stats I don't think I would keep up with the motivation though.

easy way to slowly lose weight if you can control your diet and not use burning calories as an excuse to eat nice things.

cycling is more fun though
OP literally asked for suggestions for kit.
And that they were planning to take it up as a hobbies.

No ones suggesting you buy 2k worth of stuff to be able to walk.
Its taken me a long time to decide on what to buy and how to pack etc, sending stuff back.

I think we're all smart enough to realise you don't need a huge kit list for an 8 mile walk on flat ground.

But also, people shouldn't be climbing Snowden in the snow in flip flops.

Better to have to much info than too little

I do walking for 4 reaaons
-dog
-nice to see new places
-fitness
-social (yes even in my leggings I've been invited back!)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Most people will get bored of walking within a week

I think this depends on what you have accessible to you - I've got some decent walks around where I live but most of them you have to drive 2-8 miles and I can't be bothered with that part more often than not LOL.

Caporegime
I think this depends on what you have accessible to you - I've got some decent walks around where I live but most of them you have to drive 2-8 miles and I can't be bothered with that part more often than not LOL.

My main motivation is social/seeing new stuff. So rarely go to same place 3 times in a row. But sometimes I drive over an hour.
If I was still living in Lincolnshire I probably wouldn't go

Soldato
But also, people shouldn't be climbing Snowden in the snow in flip flops.

A few years back we went for a family hike somewhere in wales.

My nieces got all geared up in hiking boots et al.. I drove down in flip flops and google mapped the terrain the night before and just decided to walked the 15km mud/pebble path in my flip flops carrying just a bottle of water. Would have been much quicker if I wasn’t slowed down by two girls moaning how much their feet hurt. Lol

Man of Honour

My nieces got all geared up in hiking boots et al.. I drove down in flip flops and google mapped the terrain the night before and just decided to walked the 15km mud/pebble path in my flip flops carrying just a bottle of water. Would have been much quicker if I wasn’t slowed down by two girls moaning how much their feet hurt. Lol

To be fair just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Though I wouldn't bother personally with hiking boots for a lot of moderate walking and hiking over trail shoes.

Caporegime

A hike in flip flops? Omg!

I don't think I'd get. Ore than a mile before my feet would be broken! :D

Soldato
To be fair just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Though I wouldn't bother personally with hiking boots for a lot of moderate walking and hiking over trail shoes.

A hike in flip flops? Omg!

I don't think I'd get. Ore than a mile before my feet would be broken! :D

a few years ago I experimented with bare soles footwear. a lot of people's feet; mine included at the time become "flat feet" due to all the lovely cushioned soles we have now a days and they become misshaped and rubbed against areas of the shoes due to it.

started of slowly wearing them to and from yoga, it freaking hurt to start with as you really do feel every step and your legs feel like you been walking in Amsterdam. Went for longer and longer walks in them over time and I think the most I ever did in one go was 15km, couldn't bare thinking running in them. Then winter came and I switched to boots.. lol I need to start it back up again this summer. :)

I used to wearing flip flops from when I was a kid.. and if it wasn't for the rule against wearing shorts or crocs in the office I would just turn up to work in shorts and crocs. I spend most days bare footed around the house in summer and in winter switching from my indoors totes and running socks before going out for a run.

Soldato
Absolutely shoes are just about the most important bit of gear. That said, I did 4.6 million steps last year, and easily the vast majority of them would have been in a pair of Muck Boots Wellies while walking the dog. They have just died. I was hoping for more than a year, but then the majority of nearly 2,000 miles of walking was done in them, so I probably got my monies worth.

Back
Top Bottom