Doing things that scare you

Going back to jiu jitsu after a pretty bad neck injury was scary.

Everyone was so pleased to see me, and considerate of my injury when training, I was glad I risked it.

Walked on a wire tension grid when doing electrical work in a theatre, in order to get to the emergency lighting.

For an idea of what one is go to about 1:35 on this tom scott video:

The one at the place I was at was 'only' about 10m up, but it is very disconcerting to try and step out onto it for the first time, I must admit my reaction was similar to Tom's at first, but after being in it for a few minutes you stop instictivly trying to reach out for the lighting bars, and it doesn't actually take long before you're able to walk around on it just as if you were on the ground, just as the on-site lighting techs do.

Its seems to be a bit of a weird bit of pscyology, you know that there is no way you can fall, but there is something in the most basic part of your brain which trys to stop you walking out on it, but not everyone is affected, some people can step out onto it without having to overcome an initial fear response first.

Turning on the news each day and wondering who labour are going to screw or screw up today scares me.
I get your point but people have a pretty short memory of what the Tories were like. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt for the autumn and possibly spring budgets and seeing what actually happens.

I recently went on a train with my daughter for her first day at college. There was this real chav family sitting down and I sat with my daughter on the seat behind. It was jammed and her grand kids (teenagers) were taking up seats with bags next to them. Two elderly ladies come on and asked to sit down and for the teenage kids to move their bags. They just ignored them. It just flipped a switch in my head and I stood up and said "can you move your bags please or I can move them for you" which they then did straight away. Then it all went a bit pair shaped and the grandmother who couldn't have been more than early 50's starts laying into me saying her kids are disabled when they clearly weren't. F this and F that.

It then transpired the train was full of maybe 20 ISH at least of this chav/gypo family who I figured out were on their way to Skegness for the family holiday.

She was on the phone and was going on about me to some person on the phone saying "no you don't want to go back to prison"!

Let's just say I couldn't wait to get off at my stop and it instantly reminded me why public transport is just terrible. Even though I tried to be the good Samaritan.

Also last week I was doing Multidrop to cash and Carrys in my truck around Edmonton, Tottenham last week and that raised my heartbeat a bit till I managed to get back on the A406 and out of that cesspit!

Last edited:
Then it all went a bit pair shaped and the grandmother who couldn't have been more than early 50's starts laying into me saying her kids are disabled when they clearly weren't. F this and F that.
I know you mean well but not all disabilities are visable. This is why I have a sunflower lanyard so that people know I'm disabled even though it doesn't look like it.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just saying that some things are not always so obvious.

It then transpired the train was full of maybe 20 ISH at least of this chav/gypo family who I figured out were on their way to Skegness for the family holiday.

She was on the phone and was going on about me to some person on the phone saying "no you don't want to go back to prison"!

They're like a nest of angry wasps sometimes. You never know what you're getting into.

I know you mean well but not all disabilities are visable. This is why I have a sunflower lanyard so that people know I'm disabled even though it doesn't look like it.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just saying that some things are not always so obvious.

Fairly sure even most disabled people will either not take up a seat with bags or be able to shift their bag.

Last edited:
Fairly sure even most disabled people will either not take up a sit with bags or be able to shift their bag.
Fair point. I was just saying that you can't assume someone is not disabled just because they look fine. I agree that they can still be ********* like the rest of us.

This was a proper family. They were teenage boys on their phones. Chain necklace and all that jazz. It was all grift from the "head honcho" grandmother.

Any compassionate mother figure of children with disabilities wouldn't leave them sitting by themselves on the seats over from them but I understand what you mean but this wasn't the case. Prams and bags littered all over the walk ways etc.

My failure in judgement was not realising that the whole carriage was basically 1 family and chose to sit in the middle of it! Think of the television series Shameless and you get the picture.

Last edited:
got to the till in the supermarket with a trolley more full than id like, i .... you not it scared me seeing the total.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom