Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 front height speaker experience?

Associate
OP
I have KEF Q500 fronts in my 5.1.2 setup, i dread to think (in a good way) what the Q900's would be like (thinking of the old Maxell tape advert ) lol

in think in a 5.1.2 config, TMR/L is a good choice, I have Kef T101's as my atmos speakers, and T301's behind me, with a Q200 centre,

Forgive me but by TMR/L, does that mean 'top middle right/left'? As in your Atmos .2 speakers are on the ceiling between MLP and fronts? Those KEF T101 look remarkably slim! Did you ceiling mount them? How about cable management?

Associate
Forgive me but by TMR/L, does that mean 'top middle right/left'? As in your Atmos .2 speakers are on the ceiling between MLP and fronts? Those KEF T101 look remarkably slim! Did you ceiling mount them? How about cable management?

yes thats right as in just infront of MLP in my setup, they have plates that are slightly magnetic if i remember, but the actual speakers slot into them,

i used the micro D link stuff for the wires, runs from both speakers to the left and down the wall, i didnt really have the choice of putting the speakers and or cable in the ceiling, at the time, but to be honest not a single person that comes round even knows they are there

Associate
OP
yes thats right as in just infront of MLP in my setup, they have plates that are slightly magnetic if i remember, but the actual speakers slot into them,

i used the micro D link stuff for the wires, runs from both speakers to the left and down the wall, i didnt really have the choice of putting the speakers and or cable in the ceiling, at the time, but to be honest not a single person that comes round even knows they are there

That seems like the best alternative to in-ceiling speakers I've heard of! Truly down firing ceiling speakers have got to beat elevation type setup I'd have thought. How do you find them for Atmos content? Have you ever heard the difference with alternative setups?

Associate
That seems like the best alternative to in-ceiling speakers I've heard of! Truly down firing ceiling speakers have got to beat elevation type setup I'd have thought. How do you find them for Atmos content? Have you ever heard the difference with alternative setups?

no alternatives im afraid, but i have never tired of my setup, have dolby atmos demo discs that sound crazy, i do have a relatively low ceiling, , but the wife was quite happy how unobtrusive they seem, which is rare, im in wiltshire, if your close your more than welcome to have a demo,

off home shortly, so apologises if i dont reply till later or tomorrow,

Associate
OP
no alternatives im afraid, but i have never tired of my setup, have dolby atmos demo discs that sound crazy, i do have a relatively low ceiling, , but the wife was quite happy how unobtrusive they seem, which is rare, im in wiltshire, if your close your more than welcome to have a demo,

off home shortly, so apologises if i dont reply till later or tomorrow,

Wife approval is always good! Haha. Kind offer; I'm in Derby but if I find myself going that way in the near future I may get in touch. Cheers

Associate
OP
No worries

If you pm me your email address I could send some pics of my setup just to give you the idea , if not no problem ;)

That would be very helpful, cheers.

Edit: When I try and PM you it says I can't start a conversation with you. Not sure why; I've never tried before.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Got a pair of Dali Alteco speakers arriving today. I'm thinking of rear mounting, with them down firing first. Seeing as my sofa is on the back wall.

I'll report back after testing.

Man of Honour
Ended up mounting them at the front. The wife's preferred position, purely based on how they look on the wall. Either that or she doesn't want another speaker behind her ears.

Anyway, by the time that they'd arrived, I'd mounted them and went through the Audessy set up, it was a bit late so haven't really tested them properly yet.

Associate
What's the verdict? Half toying with an upgrade to a 9channel amp and getting four of these for a 5.1.4 setup. have 5.1.2 with psb upfiring atm.

Man of Honour
At one point I used a pair of Q Acoustics i7000 speakers, mounted on top of a pair of floor standers, pointed at the ceiling. And to be fair it did sometimes sound as if the effect was above your head. I found the helicopter chase scene from Mission Impossible Fallout was very good.

Fast forward the same scene with a pair of Dali Alteco speakers front mounted as height speakers and unsurprisingly the sound appears to be coming from the front at height.

I switched them in to down firing mode to see if that improved things, which I think it did. Despite Dali recommending the switch be left at up firing for front height mounting.

Now maybe I don't have the ideal listening position of being against the back wall and the height speakers mounted at the front. Even so I would say that add something, rather that take away anything from the movie watching experience.

It's just not game changing for me.

Not so far anyway.

Associate
At one point I used a pair of Q Acoustics i7000 speakers, mounted on top of a pair of floor standers, pointed at the ceiling. And to be fair it did sometimes sound as if the effect was above your head. I found the helicopter chase scene from Mission Impossible Fallout was very good.

Fast forward the same scene with a pair of Dali Alteco speakers front mounted as height speakers and unsurprisingly the sound appears to be coming from the front at height.

I switched them in to down firing mode to see if that improved things, which I think it did. Despite Dali recommending the switch be left at up firing for front height mounting.

Now maybe I don't have the ideal listening position of being against the back wall and the height speakers mounted at the front. Even so I would say that add something, rather that take away anything from the movie watching experience.

It's just not game changing for me.

Not so far anyway.
obviously without actually seeing your setup, to me it sounds like you have a good setup for DTS: X , its something i considered, but the wife wasnt keen on speakers high up on the facing wall lol

if you could find a movie or demo that does DTS: X you might notice a change for the better, but not sure how many movies actually had this, atmos is certainly the norm now, !, , where are your surrounds if your against the back wall so to speak ?

Man of Honour
This is how my set up looks.

Q Acoustics i7000 for left, right, centre and rear surround.
Dali Alteco for front height.

This is room shape and wife friendly compromise in terms of speaker and TV placement. As well as speaker choice.

I do have a few movies in DTS X that I can try and report back.

I did watch Fury last night, which is in Dolby Atmos and the height speakers definitely added to my enjoyment. There were a couple of times when sound appeared to be directly over head.

Last edited:
Associate
This is how my set up looks.

Q Acoustics i7000 for left, right, centre and rear surround.
Dali Alteco for front height.

This is room shape and wife friendly compromise in terms of speaker and TV placement. As well as speaker choice.

I do have a few movies in DTS X that I can try and report back.

I did watch Fury last night, which is in Dolby Atmos and the height speakers definitely added to my enjoyment. There were a couple of times when sound appeared to be directly over head.

Nice comfy setup there
Looks quite tight with the left n right at the sides of the tv but like life everything is a compromise,

That’s good you felt the sounds above you, so something is working right, I love Atmos when it comes to things like rain! In some of the John wick scenes it’s like your right in it but not getting wet! That’s when you know it’s setup right

Man of Honour
Nice comfy setup there
Looks quite tight with the left n right at the sides of the tv but like life everything is a compromise,

That’s good you felt the sounds above you, so something is working right, I love Atmos when it comes to things like rain! In some of the John wick scenes it’s like your right in it but not getting wet! That’s when you know it’s setup right

Yeah, unfortunately the chimney breast is in the way of having wider spacing of the front speakers and the other end of the room is too narrow to use properly. Plus patio doors and a radiator up that end too.

Associate
Yeah, unfortunately the chimney breast is in the way of having wider spacing of the front speakers and the other end of the room is too narrow to use properly. Plus patio doors and a radiator up that end too.

In other words FUBARED! ;)

Well you’ve got what you got, and made good use of it,

mines only a bit better, thankgod for uhd tv, if we still had crt’s I’d be buying one that including seats we’d be that close to it lol

Back
Top Bottom