Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 front height speaker experience?

Soldato
Yeah, unfortunately the chimney breast is in the way of having wider spacing of the front speakers and the other end of the room is too narrow to use properly. Plus patio doors and a radiator up that end too.

If you bought two of those 4 X 18" powersound subs it'll dominate the room your wife won't be able to move the 300lb monsters and you'll sit there smugly.

Associate
Up-firing

This photo is a few years old, before I upgraded to a 65C9

VincentHanna_Atmos01.jpg

Heya, just wondering - where'd you get the tv stand? Been looking around for something that can fit a centre and amp in!

Associate
This is how my set up looks.

Q Acoustics i7000 for left, right, centre and rear surround.
Dali Alteco for front height.

This is room shape and wife friendly compromise in terms of speaker and TV placement. As well as speaker choice.

I do have a few movies in DTS X that I can try and report back.

I did watch Fury last night, which is in Dolby Atmos and the height speakers definitely added to my enjoyment. There were a couple of times when sound appeared to be directly over head.

So I've gone and got a pair of these to move up to 5.1.4 from .2.
Like you my sofa is against a wall so figured pair of these with the switch down would be as close as I can get to proper ceiling speakers.

Going to keep by upfiring PSB Imagine XAs for the front on top of floor standers. No idea how a mix of down and up firing will work out!

How did you wall mount you Dali's? Did you get a bracket from somewhere or just a couple fixings to hang them off?

Man of Honour
So I've gone and got a pair of these to move up to 5.1.4 from .2.
Like you my sofa is against a wall so figured pair of these with the switch down would be as close as I can get to proper ceiling speakers.

Going to keep by upfiring PSB Imagine XAs for the front on top of floor standers. No idea how a mix of down and up firing will work out!

How did you wall mount you Dali's? Did you get a bracket from somewhere or just a couple fixings to hang them off?

There's mounting holes in speakers, so just put a couple of screws in the wall and hung them on.

Soldato
This is how my set up looks.

Q Acoustics i7000 for left, right, centre and rear surround.
Dali Alteco for front height.

This is room shape and wife friendly compromise in terms of speaker and TV placement. As well as speaker choice.

I do have a few movies in DTS X that I can try and report back.

I did watch Fury last night, which is in Dolby Atmos and the height speakers definitely added to my enjoyment. There were a couple of times when sound appeared to be directly over head.

I have my Q Acoustics i7000 coming in today!! They also threw in two extra i7000 satellite speakers (and I choose white to match the ceiling colour) now suddenly I have the chance to set up atmos! Could i just mount them on the ceiling?

Man of Honour
I have my Q Acoustics i7000 coming in today!! They also threw in two extra i7000 satellite speakers (and I choose white to match the ceiling colour) now suddenly I have the chance to set up atmos! Could i just mount them on the ceiling?

No reason why not. In the past I've used them in an upfiring position on top of the floor staning speakers I used to have.

Going back to reporting on how the Dali's do as Atmos/DTS X speakers.

There have been numerous films I've watched since installing them and they do work quite well.

We watched The Revenant last night and even though it's only a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 mix, the height speakers were still utilised to great effect and rain and thunder sounded like it was above my head.

Associate
So, I've upgraded to the q acoustics 3000i series from my 1000 series bought about 12 years ago. Seem pretty good but not had a chance to put them through their paces just yet.
The 1000 series served me very well!

Also got the dalis for 5.1.4 and therefore went with a denon 4500 from the 2400 to get the extra channels - that's my receiver buying done I think for 10 years as this one should cover all bases for a while. Can do the last two channels for 7.1.4 too but would need a 2 channel amp to power them.

By the by, does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive 2 channel amp? Would only be powering either a pair of atmos or rear speakers. Would be good if it had auto-sense or whatever it's called to turn itself on/off without having to use a remote.

Sofa almost against a rear wall (radiator in between) so have the dalis up behind with the tweeters set to down. With them and the surrounds you really get a very clear object based movement above and behind.
The front soundstage is using upfiring psb xa's and they work well but the sound isn't as easy to pinpoint as the rear, I guess you'd expect that as it disperses off the ceiling. When an object moves from back to front overhead you get a slight drop off in the clarity/loudness but you can still sort of track it. Will need to play with it a bit. New floorstanders are a good bit taller so it's messed the angles up a bit.

By the way, don't use the audessey loudness thingies with a hybrid ceiling/upfire setup - fine if its moving left to right above on either the front or back set but when it tries to move from front to back of room the difference in the loudness totally throws it off.

Thinking could potentially go for another pair of dalis in the front heights but you'd be picking the sound up from above the tv rather that the middle of the ceiling in between...

Soldato
Can do the last two channels for 7.1.4 too but would need a 2 channel amp to power them.

By the by, does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive 2 channel amp? Would only be powering either a pair of atmos or rear speakers. Would be good if it had auto-sense or whatever it's called to turn itself on/off without having to use a remote.

Tibo PA150 (Black)
Stereo Power Amplifier

£250
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/amplifiers-receivers/tibo-pa150-black.html

£214
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PA150-Power-Stereo-Amplifier-Black/dp/B076ZQ4D3P

Richer sounds will price match it too. So if you want it from them .

I use one of these for the rear channels to get 7.2.4 out of a 9.2 channel amp to give me the 11 channels I need and it comes on with the AV receiver Pioneer 701 and goes off after about 3mins-5 mins after I turn the AV receiver off. It has an auto sense feature so you only need to plug in the phono cables and nothing else, once it detects sound they come to life. It's been great and a great price for it.

Associate
Tibo PA150 (Black)
Stereo Power Amplifier

£250
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/amplifiers-receivers/tibo-pa150-black.html

£214
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PA150-Power-Stereo-Amplifier-Black/dp/B076ZQ4D3P

Richer sounds will price match it too. So if you want it from them .

I use one of these for the rear channels to get 7.2.4 out of a 9.2 channel amp to give me the 11 channels I need and it comes on with the AV receiver Pioneer 701 and goes off after about 3mins-5 mins after I turn the AV receiver off. It has an auto sense feature so you only need to plug in the phono cables and nothing else, once it detects sound they come to life. It's been great and a great price for it.

Cheers, will see how long I last before getting the itch! Will have to be flat speakers for the wall so probably kef 101s.
Main issue will be running the cables in the existing trunking that already has 4xspeaker cables, one flat Ethernet and a satellite cable!

Soldato
I currently have 7.2.4 in my lounge TV/projector hybrid setup.
For a while I was reduced to 7.2.2 because I ran out of amplification on my AVR (Yamaha rx-A3070)

I now have an integrated amp with HT bypass ( Yamaha a-s1100) and so the system is back to 7.2.4 :)

For many months (maybe 5+) however, I ran with front heights only with the rear heights disabled.
I am using Dali altecos for height duties.

When I connected the rear heights again at last things were much more complete, the Atmos panning effect actually works and immersion goes up a fair notch.

With just front heights you basically get just that, a higher 'wall of sound' that isn't particularly differentiated from well mapped surround sources.
It's nice however and would rather have it than not.

For immersion however you have to get four height channels and this is the consensus on many forums and what I found myself.

The helicopter Pans in scicario 2 in my room are are wow moment that I know only works with my four heights and not two.

Soldato
I had front upfiring modules (Elac Debut A4) in our old house. They worked well at adding a certain extra dimension to the soundfield but they were nowhere near as convincing as a proper in-ceiling setup, which is what I have now.

Associate
I currently have 7.2.4 in my lounge TV/projector hybrid setup.
For a while I was reduced to 7.2.2 because I ran out of amplification on my AVR (Yamaha rx-A3070)

I now have an integrated amp with HT bypass ( Yamaha a-s1100) and so the system is back to 7.2.4 :)

For many months (maybe 5+) however, I ran with front heights only with the rear heights disabled.
I am using Dali altecos for height duties.

When I connected the rear heights again at last things were much more complete, the Atmos panning effect actually works and immersion goes up a fair notch.

With just front heights you basically get just that, a higher 'wall of sound' that isn't particularly differentiated from well mapped surround sources.
It's nice however and would rather have it than not.

For immersion however you have to get four height channels and this is the consensus on many forums and what I found myself.

The helicopter Pans in scicario 2 in my room are are wow moment that I know only works with my four heights and not two.

Out of interest, I know for the rear heights they recommend setting the tweeters to down - especially when the couch is closer to the wall.
What do you have your front heights set to? Just wondering if you get a better effect with them also 'down' so it sounds like it's coming from above the tv rather than their normal position where it's pointing at the seating position?

Soldato
Out of interest, I know for the rear heights they recommend setting the tweeters to down - especially when the couch is closer to the wall.
What do you have your front heights set to? Just wondering if you get a better effect with them also 'down' so it sounds like it's coming from above the tv rather than their normal position where it's pointing at the seating position?
You know what I never put the front heights in the down position but will try it.

The rears are in down position as only a foot or so behind the MLP.

Associate
You know what I never put the front heights in the down position but will try it.

The rears are in down position as only a foot or so behind the MLP.

Ha, let me know how you get on! Also have you set all 4 as heights in the amp assignment or ceiling?

Soldato
I have a 5.1.2 setup and its amazing. It just seems to fill the gaps in space which didn't have sound previously. Its subtle but nice.

It reminds me of when I got a subwoofer and added it to my 5.0 setup. It fills in whats missing. The difference is the subwoofer also does things no other speakers can dream of doing.

Back
Top Bottom