Dolby Atmos Soundbar

Soldato
Recently purchased an LG OLED C2 Evo and I'm in the market for a decent soundbar with Dolby Atmos and have been looking at the Sonos Beam Gen 2, any thoughts?

Soundbars will use reflective speakers/DSP to get virtual atmos, it won't be that good.

If you can spend on AVR and speakers those will offer far higher sound quality and proper atmos steering

Costs less, has 5.1 speakers, stands, the AVR, the subwoofer.

Can replace and add parts as needed. When you want atmos replace AVR, add height speakers. When you want to upgrade sub, just buy a new sub.

Compare back panel of that Yamaha to the Sono. lol

Recently purchased an LG OLED C2 Evo and I'm in the market for a decent soundbar with Dolby Atmos and have been looking at the Sonos Beam Gen 2, any thoughts?
Don't get a crappy little 5.1 system. Way too much hassle and fiddling needed, plus they are not that good compared to the below soundbars.

Also, a Sonos beam and sub isn't that great either, mostly just overpriced for what it is.

Just get a Samsung Q930b, or if you're feeling more flush a Q990b.

For reference, I've just sold up one hell of a 7.2 system due to how good the Q990b was. Wireless sub, wireless rear speakers and an ATMOS sound bubble that a normal AV setup cannot get near unless you spend 5-10x the cost.

Last edited:
Don't get a crappy little 5.1 system. Way too much hassle and fiddling needed, plus they are not that good compared to the below soundbars.

Also, a Sonos beam and sub isn't that great either, mostly just overpriced for what it is.

Just get a Samsung Q930b, or if you're feeling more flush a Q990b.

For reference, I've just sold up one hell of a 7.2 system due to how good the Q990b was. Wireless sub, wireless rear speakers and an ATMOS sound bubble that a normal AV setup cannot get near unless you spend 5-10x the cost.

Haha
You should write stand up comedyy

Haha
You should write stand up comedyy
You should go educate yourself, gain some experience and listen to some decent systems rather than posting useless unhelpful drivel.

I moved on a system made up of a pair of 12" XTZ cinema subs (parametric EQ'd), ATC front array, M&K tripole surrounds/rears, powered by Lyngdorf and Nakamichi amplification, all setup via REW and my UMIK mic.

Like I said, go have a read up on what such equipment is like and the setting up required, you may learn something.

The Samsung Q990b gives a better cohesive experience than that well setup system above, plus with mininal fuss and a lot less equipment. I was a skeptic, but for £650 it shocked me and selling the kit on was a no brainer.

Said q990b or even the cheaper q930b system would **** all over that little 5.1 system and would likely output more power than that little AVR and would give a decent ATMOS experience rather than just 5.1. That Yamaha only puts out around 70W/channel with 2chs driven, with all 5 going it would be significantly less.

Move with the times young padawan ;)

Last edited:
Ho ho comedian

Power output of that Yamaha will outclass that Samsung soundbar.

Two way speakers versus bass limited BMR all clumped together in tiny speakers. With ported sub that has a high tune. Poor frequency response of the speakers

All with limited connectivity, upgradability. Inferior stereo width. Poor quality two channel sound with the Samsung.

Higher quality 5.1 rather than lower quality Atmos anyway.

Get that mission system,.cheaper but better quality. Don't like the subwoofer then replace it. Want Atmos get new avr add some wall mount speakers.

Last edited:
Imagine thinking a sound bar sub was better than dual 12". Can only assume it wasnt set up correctly, be that room acoustics or configuration.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations folks but the price on some of these systems is something I'm not prepared to pay, Q930b is £700+. Again, a decent 'ish' soundbar would be more than ample for our needs.

It's deja vu with these threads, people ask for a simple plug and play soundbar and it's always the same person responding with "buy an AVR setup" instead...

I'm all to familiar with this in other forum categories. :cry:

Think I'll avoid the fuss with a Sonos Beam Gen 2 and pick up a Sonos Sub Mini at a later date as the prices on these drop frequently.

See what the likes of Richer Sounds have in your budget and check out rtings reviews and comparisons to see which best meets the criteria you feel is most important to you.

They give the Sonos Beam Gen 2 a fairly average write up.

See what the likes of Richer Sounds have in your budget and check out rtings reviews and comparisons to see which best meets the criteria you feel is most important to you.

They give the Sonos Beam Gen 2 a fairly average write up.

Not heard of Polk but Richer Sounds has the Signa S4 for £299, VIP £289.

Last edited:
We use the Arc and a Sub but I've heard the new Beam v2 is supposed to be a good step up from the v1 and I imagine paired with the new sub mini, it would probably sound great.

I get that dedicated 5.1/7.1 may well be lightyears ahead of a decent sound bar set up but not everyone wants multiple speakers around the room. I do, my partner doesn't. So a sound bar that can emulate surround sound and offer a better sound experience than the built in speakers is often worth getting.

I'm still hoping I can one day make her come around to adding in the rear speakers but that's not a fight I wish to waste my energy on

Back
Top Bottom