Dolby Atmos Soundbar

We use the Arc and a Sub but I've heard the new Beam v2 is supposed to be a good step up from the v1 and I imagine paired with the new sub mini, it would probably sound great.

I get that dedicated 5.1/7.1 may well be lightyears ahead of a decent sound bar set up but not everyone wants multiple speakers around the room. I do, my partner doesn't. So a sound bar that can emulate surround sound and offer a better sound experience than the built in speakers is often worth getting.

I'm still hoping I can one day make her come around to adding in the rear speakers but that's not a fight I wish to waste my energy on

I did this by buying the IKEA Symfonisk - they look great and happen to be speaker too :)

Thanks for the recommendations folks but the price on some of these systems is something I'm not prepared to pay, Q930b is £700+. Again, a decent 'ish' soundbar would be more than ample for our needs.

I gave you a link that has everything for £250, avr, sub, 5 speakers, cables which'll outlcass any soundbar

Low fi Atmos over higher quality 5.1?

Don't fall into the must have Atmos over quality surround

A good 2.1 system will outclass a Atmos soundbar

You should go educate yourself, gain some experience and listen to some decent systems rather than posting useless unhelpful drivel.

I moved on a system made up of a pair of 12" XTZ cinema subs (parametric EQ'd), ATC front array, M&K tripole surrounds/rears, powered by Lyngdorf and Nakamichi amplification, all setup via REW and my UMIK mic.

Like I said, go have a read up on what such equipment is like and the setting up required, you may learn something.

The Samsung Q990b gives a better cohesive experience than that well setup system above, plus with mininal fuss and a lot less equipment. I was a skeptic, but for £650 it shocked me and selling the kit on was a no brainer.

Said q990b or even the cheaper q930b system would **** all over that little 5.1 system and would likely output more power than that little AVR and would give a decent ATMOS experience rather than just 5.1. That Yamaha only puts out around 70W/channel with 2chs driven, with all 5 going it would be significantly less.

Move with the times young padawan ;)

I think I know why you got rid of your seperates Hahahaha

I'd rather not. Cinema grade audio isn't that important to me. I just need to have audio better than the built in speakers and soundbars are great at doing that whilst being literally no faff to set up.

Fortunately there are products for everyone and for most people a soundbar sounds good enough

I'd rather not. Cinema grade audio isn't that important to me. I just need to have audio better than the built in speakers and soundbars are great at doing that whilst being literally no faff to set up.

Fortunately there are products for everyone and for most people a soundbar sounds good enough

You don't need to go crazy, just something better than soundbar.

It doesn't matter if someone doesn't want speakers all around their room. That's the situation many people find themselves in and for those of us in that group, a soundbar is the better solution than multiple speakers.

There's no argument. A multiple speaker scenario will always be better than a soundbar but if you can't have multiple speakers, for one reason or another, it's not exactly a great solution.

Hopefully one day, some of the contributors to this forum will realise not everyone wants a living room dedicated to AV with speakers dotted in every corner with the world's biggest TV.

People shopping for soundbars with a moderate budget don't need to be repeatedly told to buy something they don't want.

And a receiver, and cabling it all in. Most people don't want the hassle.

Budget = £450.

Suggests an £800 speaker pack that still requires a receiver and cables. :cry:

Ho ho comedian

Power output of that Yamaha will outclass that Samsung soundbar.

Two way speakers versus bass limited BMR all clumped together in tiny speakers. With ported sub that has a high tune. Poor frequency response of the speakers

All with limited connectivity, upgradability. Inferior stereo width. Poor quality two channel sound with the Samsung.

Higher quality 5.1 rather than lower quality Atmos anyway.

Get that mission system,.cheaper but better quality. Don't like the subwoofer then replace it. Want Atmos get new avr add some wall mount speakers.
Using the comedian line again, how mature of you.

So what is the power output of the Yamaha you linked then if you are so sure? Show us all and backup your argument.

Btw, that little SW150 has no more power than the one in a Q990b system and may acutally have less output. Granted it's 10" rather than 8"
Imagine thinking a sound bar sub was better than dual 12". Can only assume it wasnt set up correctly, be that room acoustics or configuration.
Re-read my post, I said the Q990b system gives a "better cohesive experience" not "the sub is better than x2 12s". The ATMOS effects from the top/side firing speakers on the soundbar and rear speakers is damn impressive.

There's no doubt I miss the dual 12", but the 8" samsung one does a great job for it's size. Still not dual 700W beasts though :D

Had a good listen to someones mental 9.2.4 setup when I was delivering him one of my spare Nak 7ch amps. It was incredible, but there were speakers and amplifiers everywhere, so it really wasn't for those who use a room for anything other than pure cinema mode.

I think I know why you got rid of your seperates Hahahaha

What an incredibly sexist view you have of women, tells us everything we need to know about you.

Stop being such an immature little troll, spamming out soo many pointless posts in this thread.

I'm all to familiar with this in other forum categories. :cry:

Think I'll avoid the fuss with a Sonos Beam Gen 2 and pick up a Sonos Sub Mini at a later date as the prices on these drop frequently.
Thought I'd reply direct to you, rather than lose it in my above post :)

A Sonos Beam is a decent soundbar, but it's just a standard soundbar. at a fair cost. If you grab that and the sub mini you'll be outlaying ciraca £900+ anyway and it's certainly not worth that. It doesn't even come with rear speakers.

That's where something like the Q930B shows the value, even at £750ish. Or there's the Q800b for £500 that doesn't come with rear speakers and there's no way the Sonos pairing is worth nearly double the price.

We've had an LG OLED48A26LA and Sonos Beam Gen2 in the front room for a couple of months now. It's been a complete revelation compared to a ten year old (very highly rated at the time) Panasonic 42" plasma. We find the sound to be exceptionally clear and immersive, as does everyone who visits us, regardless of the content being watched and this is without a sub or rears too. The base is punchy enough without being cranked up too we find, which was an added surprise. While my old 5.1 Kef speakers and Sony receiver did do a slightly better job at putting you right in the middle of the action say in films such as Gladiator, I don't feel this is too much of a downside at all in the occasional 'blockbuster'. If anything we found vollies of arrows wizzing overhead a little disconcerting truth be told lol. We're certainly not missing the cabling and space taken up by the speakers at all (and the look of most of them too).
Frankly I'd be hard pushed to fault it for most people's living rooms. Yes, there's always better systems out there regardless of your budget but this small and inconspicuous setup works exceptionally well for us. So if you're after a very simple non intrusive setup that can easily be upgraded with some wireless rears and sub if that's your bag, then I'd highly recommend it.

That's still a crazy amount to spend on audio for one room for the majority of folk. This is the problem when you're immersed in audiophilia, your perception on what others are willing to spend in both money and time becomes skewed.

That's still a crazy amount to spend on audio for one room for the majority of folk. This is the problem when you're immersed in audiophilia, your perception on what others are willing to spend in both money and time becomes skewed.

That isn't a crazy amount .That's pretty much budget. I've spent more on one speaker.

Cheapest I'd recommend would be this

It's a crazy amount for people who don't care as much as you do.

The internet is a funny place. You ask for help with X and then all they want to do is tell you why you need Y and not X.
I had it the same with laptops recently "Oh just buy a desktop" when asking about laptop models :rolleyes:

Op I suggest you go have a demo of a soundbar and budget system, listen to CD in stereo and movies

This site has mostly people happily spending £2000 on GPUs and just buy cheapest crap Logitech speakers.

If you bought that £450 wharfedale setup you could add or replace parts as needed, also in case of failure..

If you bought Sonos soundbar you have match it with their sub.

If I gave you a couple of PSA 21" subwoofers you wouldn't be able to them with the Sonos. If your TV lacks DTS out you wouldn't be able to use e-arc DTS.

Soundbars are better than built in flat panel but I'd rather recommend a t amp and some regular wall mount speakers rather than a soundbar.

That Samsung won't have 700w total power output not a chance. It'll be the usual overblown figures with high distortion

Back
Top Bottom