• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

Dom's Training Log

Associate
OP
Then you can probably eat pretty much as normal. The more normal you can keep things the better the chance that you can perform as normal. If you are concerned then just eat after the weigh in, it's best in your case to just eat what you find most comfortable. Make sure you have enough food for the day, you probably won't get much chance to go out and buy something. I find shakes work best because it's easy to get a lot in them. They will have some small snack and stuff on sale from the little cafe but it's obviously not the best.

If you need anything more specific then of course ask.

Something that just occurred to me was that you might be thinking about some king of pre-workout. I don't tend to take them but I will have caffeine just before I start to warm up for squats and then again at the same time for deadlifts. So you might want to have two doses, one at each of those points or what ever you prefer.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I've been taking a mix of creatine, beta alanine and taurine for my pre-workout, so I'll probably take that before squats.

I'll bring along a couple of other shakes with whey and dextrose with some oats to keep me going through the day.

Any plans for a post comp chow down? (Freefaller and Steedie are along)

Looking forward to the added comp gains.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah that sounds alright. I always find that I'm flagging a little by the time deads come around, hence the second dose of caffeine. I'm going to try and find a massive bag of jerky from somewhere to take, some peanut butter is always good and maybe some other stuff I'll prepare at home.

Yeah, there is an all you can eat round the corner that we went to last time which was pretty good and I think the plan is to go there again.

Soldato
Hello Dom,

I've just been catching up on your log and it's been a long one! I just wanted to give you bro bump/hi5 - You've really come a long way and it's inspiring :cool:

Looking back over the year, how do you feel? More importantly, I'd be interested to hear about the mental and physical challenges at the beginning of your injury. Cheers buddy :)

Associate
OP
Thanks man :D.

I think the last year has been quite a successful one from a training stand point. My injuries happened around September time 2011, so that's when recovery started really.

The first few months were spent just seeing if I could manage any training and whether the problems would work themselves out on their own, this obviously wasn't the case :).

For me there wasn't any question of whether I wanted to carry on training and try to recover or not it was going to happen.

I started a more directed recovery protocol around Christmas time, playing around with some new exercises and new knowledge I had gained through discussions with my physio and other guys I knew who know a lot about training. This then became the program that I have on the beginning of this log.

I had found that I could squat if I was careful and the same for benching. The other exercises were picked because, again, they didn't hurt and the would all have a beneficial affect on my recovery. I followed this and noticed my body getting stronger so the next routine could be a little more advanced and I could include some deadlifting. All the time through these recovery cycles mobility and form were placed above everything else.

I really enjoyed lifting again so at first I wasn't bothered at all that weights were so light but as I began to feel my strength coming back I became more and more annoyed at the fact that it was all easy, but I stuck with it and refused to let myself push too far and stuck with what I had planned. I think that is the main reason that I managed to come back so strong.

After getting half way through that routine was finding myself more than strong enough to do the weights I had down and I felt awesome so I decided to tentatively push it. I managed to get close to my old pbs after almost 9 months without lifting even kind of close to max and most of that time was spent not even squatting or deadlifting at all.

So the only real mental challenge was feeling that all of the weights were too easy but that must have been because my rehab training was so good. In starting again from scratch I built a base that was much stronger than I had before. If I hadn't been so strict on every single millimeter of positioning in every lift then I think it would have been different. I think that is why I didn't come across any physical problems.

You mentioned that you have some weaknesses in the small stabilising muscles (I'm guessing in your shoulder), so it will be vital for you to make sure every exercise is done perfectly. With regards to squats and deadlifts make sure that form is bang on and that you hammer your core training to make everything absolutely perfect once again. Mobility is something that must never be underestimated, having full range in all of your joints increases the chance of fully functioning muscles in those joint which means more stability, more strength and less chance of injury.

The best source of knowledge I know of for mobility information is mobility wod:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/

My biggest piece of advice would be to start at the beginning and work through and do the same with training.

I realise I have composed a small novel for you here so sorry about that, but I hope I have included everything that you wanted L). Let me know if you want any more information about anything.

All the best for you recovery good sir.

Associate
OP
Right so...

Squat: 160kg, easy. Quad is still giving me some gripe :/
Bench: 115kg, annoying. Left shoulder is causing some weird problems. The warm ups felt so easy I though I was on for a comfy 125kg but couldn't keep the line on the heavier reps.
Deadlift: 200kg, very easy. I mean really easy :cool:.

I spent ages trying to get the picture of me with the trophy while I was deadlifting so I ended up doing a crazy number of reps at 160kg to accomplish it :p.

Enjoy the power-face :D
8GUgAae.jpg

And some eye candy for you phaggots :). This was my back shot for my "fat" photos.
yGelei9.jpg

Soldato
Holy back width! Tensed or not? Hard to tell.

Also, for uhm, lots of 160 reps. Did you not think to lift the weight, hold it at the top then have someone to put the trophy on the weight? XD

Good session though it seems. Decided on your openers?

kd

Man of Honour
lol you have no idea how many attempts it took to place the the trophy carefully enough so that it would balance long enough for the photo.

brb need to warm up again :p

Associate
OP
Yep, some light-ish benching on Wednesday but not much else, probably some rowing movements as well. I will probably do some 60kg squats and dl just to crease the groove but that'll be it I reckon. A nice sleepy week of recovery :).

Associate
OP
Oh my god I'm so bored of not lifting :(.

I didn't actually do any lifting last night, I dedicated the session to soft tissue and mobility, 2 hours of it.

I was to lift heavy things again :(.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I feel your pain Dom. I'm going to be so bored waiting for Sunday.

Do you have caffeine in powder form? I'm tempted to use some on Sunday for extra gainz.

Back
Top Bottom