Don't get burgled!

Soldato
As mentioned previously, this is political posturing. That's not to say the headline isn't accurate, it may well be, it's just been fed to the press in an effort to put pressure on the administration to think twice about spending cuts.

It's similar to the local authorities going public re: living wage, the negotiations will happen in private but publicising the issue gives them more leverage.

Soldato
There isn't enough officers to do the job.

Perhaps not.

But I'd double the payment section of my council tax which goes on policing, if I could actually get some decent policing out of it - I wonder how many other forum members here would?

Instead, all we get are cuts, cuts, cuts? :(

Caporegime
Perhaps not.

But I'd double the payment section of my council tax which goes on policing, if I could actually get some decent policing out of it - I wonder how many other forum members here would?

Instead, all we get are cuts, cuts, cuts? :(

Sounds like a business opportunity for some entrepreneur - pay £££, get an actual police presence in your neighbourhood.

Wasn't there a private police force patrolling the streets of Southampton I think it was recently. Whatever happened to them?

Caporegime
They're going to have to make defending your property a right then.

You can defend your property as it is now... you can pretty much beat the **** out of someone breaking into your own home, what you can't reasonably do is things like shoot them in the back as they run away or tie them up and torture them.... but you're entitled to give them a kicking and/or restrain them until the police arrive. Reasonable force can be quite flexible when in your own home and confronted with an intruder. You can even use a household object in the heat of the moment if it is to hand.

Man of Honour
Sounds like a business opportunity for some entrepreneur - pay £££, get an actual police presence in your neighbourhood.

Wasn't there a private police force patrolling the streets of Southampton I think it was recently. Whatever happened to them?

What good is a "private police" force with no more rights than the man on the street?
PCSOs are crap but a private security firm advertising themselves as a police force for hire are good? :confused:

Soldato
Not to worry. I'm sure Michael Gove is working on a radical reform of the police in the same way he 'improved' schools. I'm sure a privatized police force would be a great success. Lets start by having people pay the police to investigate crimes and then sue the criminals once they've been caught! No need to waste hard working British tax-payers money.

Man of Honour
Makes sense. In 99% of cases what does the police actually do. turn up take details and leave. This can be done on the phone.
It's not like ATM they actually dust for finger prints on every burglary. So yes it's a waste of police time ATM.

Caporegime
"There are a lot less burglaries than there used to be, a lot less car crime, but the sorts of crimes that are on the increase - sexual offences, concerns about terrorism, cyber crime - that's where we really need to focus.

i like the fudging there they cant say terrorism is on the rise because it isn't so they say "concerns about terrorism" which apparently is a "sort of crime on the rise" :D

Caporegime
What good is a "private police" force with no more rights than the man on the street?
PCSOs are crap but a private security firm advertising themselves as a police force for hire are good? :confused:

same good as any security guard, they prevent crime by being there instead of trying to solve it after the fact?

Man of Honour
same good as any security guard, they prevent crime by being there instead of trying to solve it after the fact?

That's kind of my point they're not a police force in any way shape or form, they're just a bog standard security presence.
Although people would fully expect them to act like the police in much the same way as someone coming up to the door of a club I'm working on and telling me something is going on 100m down the street the answer is always the same "That's great but we're not the police and it's nothing to do with us or our venue".

Caporegime
"There are a lot less burglaries than there used to be, a lot less car crime, but the sorts of crimes that are on the increase - sexual offences, concerns about terrorism, cyber crime - that's where we really need to focus.

i like the fudging there they cant say terrorism is on the rise because it isn't so they say "concerns about terrorism" which apparently is a "sort of crime on the rise" :D

Also I'm not sure sexual offences are necessarily on the rise but rather reporting of them is on the rise... there is a different understanding of what rape, sexual assault etc.. is these days compared to the past.

Caporegime
I'm sure that figures suggest kidnappings, sexual crimes against children etc. haven't actually risen, they're just reported nationally now when they never used to be so it seems that way thanks to 24 hour news stations and news on tap thanks to the Internet?

Associate
Sadly and get me wrong nothing against immigrants but the Girl sounded polish or something and had that look. I live in a nice area and had this girl and two kids walking and stopping and taking pictures of the houses pretending she was taking pictures of the kids standing. The kids were bored stiff not one smile from them ( because they had probably been told to pose about fifteen times ) The picture was clear to see was of the house in the background. Nice area granted but not a picturesque street by any form of the imagination. Ten house further on they stop again with her taking her phone out and pictures taken even moving from one side to the next to get anther house in. She was not even interested in the kids. Even the next day a neighbour further up the road commented had I seen her what was she doing? Once I said it was all about the houses the penny dropped for him.

Sad to see and utter Scum! Like every street I guess you get that element that is thickly obvious and just out of place.

Always look out for your property and others and if you see anything just pass it in conversation to others.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's kind of my point they're not a police force in any way shape or form, they're just a bog standard security presence.

which is basically what people want from the police.

them to be there.

not what we have now which is "ok thanks for calling here is the crime number for your insurance, goodbye".

Back
Top Bottom