Don't get burgled!

Caporegime
I haven't heard of many people being sent to prison for defending themselves in their homes. I'm sure it happens.

the last one i remember who got jailed was because after they robbed him, he chased them, got his cousin or brother or something from another house and a bat and then continued to chase them and then beat them into a coma in the street.

Associate
I get the need for prioritisation of calls. I'd hope the police would still attend quickly to a reported buglary in progress, but why should there be a need for them to attend promptly for a buglary which happened hours ago?

I reported the fact my car had been broken into at some point overnight, and was told by the 101 to expect an officer to attend 'at some point' that day. 20 mins later 2 police officers chapped my door. That seems reasonable to me, and not to different from coming home to find the house burgled. It's not time sensitive.

I work regularly with the police and they are really struggling under the impact of the cuts. According to the woman quoted in the BBC article their budget has been cut by 25% - you can't expect the same service for only 75% of the cost. It shouldn't surprise any of us that the police are going to need to make tougher prioritisation decisions in order to target their more limited resources at the most impactful crimes.

Soldato
Makes sense. In 99% of cases what does the police actually do. turn up take details and leave. This can be done on the phone.
It's not like ATM they actually dust for finger prints on every burglary. So yes it's a waste of police time ATM.

This! Both times I've been burgled, they just turned up, had a quick look around then took my statement and left. Then the CSI guy turned up a bit later to dust for finger prints everywhere.

Soldato
the last one i remember who got jailed was because after they robbed him, he chased them, got his cousin or brother or something from another house and a bat and then continued to chase them and then beat them into a coma in the street.

Seems reasonable? :p

I guess this depends whether they class "burglaries" and "burglaries in progress" in the same way?

If you come home to find your house has been burgled, but the burglar is clearly long gone, then I can sort of agree - there's not a huge amount of point in them coming to look at it and go "yup, you've been burgled".

On the other hand, if I apprehend a guy in my kitchen at 4am and call the police, they'd better be turning up sharpish because he's going to be sitting there with a freshly sharpened 27cm sashimi pointed at him until they do :p

Caporegime
What good is a "private police" force with no more rights than the man on the street?
PCSOs are crap but a private security firm advertising themselves as a police force for hire are good? :confused:

I always thought the police were just ordinary citizens and had no more rights that the man on the street. Oh well, I'm sure the Tories will pass some special laws if Serco, G4S etc ask for them.

Man of Honour
For reference this does not include burglaries in progress, just ones where the offenders are long gone, so talking about protecting your home and reasonable force are moot. If you come home to find someone in your home, you can still expect a normal police response.

Permabanned
It already is, but you must only use 'reasonable' force to do so.

Well then that reasonable bit must be abolished.

Catch a burglar; oh a slap on the face will suffice. **** that, stab the *******s and if they die then that's their problem. Burglars are armed and this is not just petty theft.

Soldato
I suspect the area in which you live in will determine whether you receive a visit from the police. The better the area the more chance you have, a council house or estate not a chance. But it has been that way for years so nothing is actually changing.

Caporegime
The one and only time i got burgled the local bobby turned up a few days later to take a statement and issue me a crime number for my insurance.

He was honest and said taking finger prints was pointless and the chances of me getting my stuff back was almost zero.

He then told me the name of the 2nd hand shops that usually sell all the stolen gear in the area and suggested a visit them over the coming weeks and if i recognise anything then to contact them again.

All pleasant but just a paperwork exercise really.

Associate
Anyone else thinking that the Insurance companies are going to have a few unhappy words with the their local Tory MP about this?

If this comes to pass I can expect insurance policies to increase in cost as more people get away with more burglaries :(

Soldato
This! Both times I've been burgled, they just turned up, had a quick look around then took my statement and left. Then the CSI guy turned up a bit later to dust for finger prints everywhere.

This is pretty much what happened when my house was burgled last November.

Alarm and CCTV systems now fitted along with re-enforced doors.

Soldato
Happy to be corrected by someone in the force but when police talk about 'priorities' I translate that as 'low hanging fruit'.

In other words their focus isn't on the severity of the crime (unless it has a lot of media attention in which case they'll throw everything at it) but how easy it is to solve.

Sadly, it seems getting your stats looking good is the driving force in public service nowadays (I say that as a public servant myself). Burglaries are hard to solve unless you throw money, time and highly skilled people at it. When those things are scarce it's much easier to send a couple of coppers in a van to a nearby road with a speed gun and bag numerous 'crimes' for the book quickly.

Soldato
When Gerri Halliwell got burgled and the burglar had left the police sent 7 cars round immediately.
The police said at the time it was the normal response to a domestic burglary.

It is if you're a spice girl.

Maybe she told them what she wanted, what she really, really wanted.

Back
Top Bottom