DOOM 3 - bfg

Associate
Bought the BFG edition, why, because I'm bored of BF3, Skyrim and all the other games I've got. Played Wolf, doom etc as a kid and never really gave Doom 3 the time of day when it was released.

I seem to remember my pc not being able to handle it! Still, I reckon its got to be one of the most atmospheric/scary games since AVP2?! Granted the game plays a bit clunky, but I its aged OK I reckon, a nice break from the norm..

Even played a bit of Doom 1 and 2 - the noise the shotty makes is unforgettable :)

Now where did I put that Quake cd...

Associate
OP
Just played Quake, as fun as i recall. Graphics as interesting as i recall - still in the day they seemed acceptable on a 14" crt :). Quake 2 - dont remember it much - was it really this gash!? Granted theyve got the aim up and down by mouse thing sorted but it doesnt have the same atmos as the first does it?!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Bump!

Couldn't get OG Doom 3 from 2004 working at 4K even with mods but BFG Edition worked fine and now using the D3HDP HD texture pack via RBDoom3BFG. The HD mod was updated last month so figured why not check it out, and surprisingly it's rather great.

Blast from the past. The movement and combat mechanics are so fluid, it's like HL2 and Doom 3, Quake and UT from that era just nailed movement and stuff like that.
This version of the game via mods is running in DX12, has SSAO, lighting enhancements and other stuff not in the base game. Running at 4K too.

Soldato
Bump!

Couldn't get OG Doom 3 from 2004 working at 4K even with mods but BFG Edition worked fine and now using the D3HDP HD texture pack via RBDoom3BFG. The HD mod was updated last month so figured why not check it out, and surprisingly it's rather great.

Blast from the past. The movement and combat mechanics are so fluid, it's like HL2 and Doom 3, Quake and UT from that era just nailed movement and stuff like that.
This version of the game via mods is running in DX12, has SSAO, lighting enhancements and other stuff not in the base game. Running at 4K too.

I still prefer the horror approach, and the game looks fantastic in so many ways even 20 years on.

Man of Honour
I still prefer the horror approach, and the game looks fantastic in so many ways even 20 years on.

I much prefer the style of Doom 3 over Eternal - but for me the perfect Doom would be somewhere between Doom 3 and the open fights and skill elements of the older Dooms. The 2016 Doom isn't terrible in that respect but doesn't quite hit the spot.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Doom 3/BFG has quite a few jump scares, stuff I had long forgotten. Even in that video above you'll see some of them and the atmosphere, the sounds and other interactions are things many games even today lack to the same level of polish. It's just retro excellence and I do remember the original E3 alpha video that leaked and the world went mad for it.

Associate
Bump!

Did you try Dhewm 3?

Back
Top Bottom