DOOM 3 - bfg

Soldato
What I hate is how uninteresting the enemy is in most games - probably partly due to people increasingly gaming on controllers. So many games combat is just about health pool and damage output with the enemy not even doing anything interesting movement wise let alone any actual AI component.

Also I don't think AI developers even exist in the games industry anymore. It's just bundled in with the engine, or has the bare minimum to function.

Half Life 1 had enemies which took cover, tried to flush you out and flank you, avoided your aim etc. They took effort to beat. Same with Fear 1. They also designed the maps to make use of it (great map design being another art which has been lost).

Last edited:
Associate
Also I don't think AI developers even exist in the games industry anymore. It's just bundled in with the engine.

Half Life 1 had enemies which took cover, tried to flush you out and flank you. They took effort to beat. Same with Fear 1.
Exactly what I was thinking.

That’s what makes F.E.A.R so memorable. It’s not doing a lot, but doing the right things.

Here’s a nice conceptual video.

The old saying quantity does not equal quality.

AI needs to learn and then act, we learn and act simultaneously.

Therefore, AI can never truely exist.

Last edited:
Caporegime
^^ I watched that video recently, very interesting.
I also watched another where the man responsible for the AI in the game spoke, though I can't recall which video that was.

Soldato
Exactly what I was thinking.

That’s what makes F.E.A.R so memorable. It’s not doing a lot, but doing the right things.

Here’s a nice conceptual video.

The old saying quantity does not equal quality.

AI needs to learn and then act, we learn and act simultaneously.

Therefore, AI can never truely exist.

I liked the way bullet impacts created dust and debris which dispersed across the room as well, it looked great in slowmo. A level of realism you just don't see anymore (or even in the later FEAR games).

Last edited:
Associate
I liked the way bullet impacts created dust and debris which dispersed across the room as well, it looked great in slowmo. A level of realism you just don't see anymore (or even in the later FEAR games).
Yes, with part 2 they turned to off the shelf solutions.

Most people just moved on to COD4.

Caporegime
I think Extraction Point was still the same in regard to production standards, but I believe Perseus Mandate was scaled down in elements such as lighting. That said, I enjoyed all three greatly, and even Fear 2, for me, was a pretty solid experience. I don't think my 4870X2 liked it much, though.

Man of Honour
I can't remember now if it was FEAR or FEAR 2 which had some actually pretty decent "netcode" in the multiplayer, but then stuff like COD4 drained the player base, and some people kicked off because you could sometimes kill people after they'd gone into cover on their screen - but it was fairly rare and IMO acceptable for the overall quality of it.

Associate
It was FEAR 2 with all the classic multiplayer issues, including hit detection and too much detection when behind cover. :o
I think Extraction Point was still the same in regard to production standards, but I believe Perseus Mandate was scaled down in elements such as lighting. That said, I enjoyed all three greatly, and even Fear 2, for me, was a pretty solid experience. I don't think my 4870X2 liked it much, though.
Yes, I think it may have been Perseus Mandate. It sticks out as I remember somethings like lots of missing shadows.

I also remember playing FEAR originally on an x700 pro, I bought it on DVD for the single player, and the built in benchmark used to put serious strain on the graphics card. The last time I tried the benchmark again must have also been years ago, but at over 200 FPS it didn’t feel the same anymore. It did still look good though, even after so many years.

I then moved on to an x1950 pro, which is still one of favourite favourite graphics cards ever, largely because of Oblivion having loading screens almost every 30 seconds while travelling in the forests. That graphics card had some outstanding image quality at the time.

Oblivion was also another example of ground breaking AI, but perhaps for all the wrong reasons. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom