DOOM 3 - bfg

the version I have is rather dark and I can make it even more dark via the ambient light slider (this is the RB version with DX12 API and visual FX integrated)

I used to absolutely love Doom 3 back in the day, was so hyped for it coming out and played for ages. PC could only just handle it back then. Didn't get the same feelings from later Doom games even though they're good.

I used to absolutely love Doom 3 back in the day, was so hyped for it coming out and played for ages. PC could only just handle it back then. Didn't get the same feelings from later Doom games even though they're good.

I remember getting hold of the IHV test leaked version and it ran at like 10FPS LOL.

EDIT: Sadly I lost the source in a HDD crash and any compiled version is lost to time but I made a fully functional, if a very unfinished, Tribes like mod for it with one side playable as Doom monsters and the other as marines:

qO9fQIw.png

Last edited:
This is one of my all time favourite games. I remember at the time I thought it was awesome, but most on here were saying its rubbish and nothing like the originals. I played it when I was home alone as my family went on a camping trip and I was legit terrified. There was nothing like it with the same atmosphere at the time, and the mechanic where the flashlight was separate to your gun, meaning you had to choose one or the other was genius and gave me so much anxiety walking into pitch dark rooms and hallways.

and the mechanic where the flashlight was separate to your gun, meaning you had to choose one or the other was genius and gave me so much anxiety walking into pitch dark rooms and hallways.

Hated that mechanic personally, for me it made the game clunky at times.

Aside from one person who legit created their own script all the duct tape mods ripped off my mod for it, which I posted on Doom3World, without bothering to credit me :(

Hated that mechanic personally, for me it made the game clunky at times.

Aside from one person who legit created their own script all the duct tape mods ripped off my mod for it, which I posted on Doom3World, without bothering to credit me :(
For me it really increased the tension, but I can see why people wouldn't get on with it. That sucks they ripped off your mod. I think you can do something about it these days on sites like Nexus. I tried a few different duct tape mods years ago and could never get it to work. I might have to give yours a shot if its still around. Kinda want to replay it now as its been a while.

I might have to give yours a shot if its still around. Kinda want to replay it now as its been a while.

I lost most of my Doom 3 stuff in a HDD crash, I originally posted it as a minimum functionality example on the old Doom 3 World forums which seem to be long gone.

In regards to Doom 3, anyone looked into Doom 3: Phobos mod? It's basically an expansion sized campaign. But it's not quite complete yet.

On a side note, I've always found it funny that Doom was set on Phobos, the gravity is so low one could literally jump and enter orbit. Phobos is basically just a captured astroid.

Bump!

Couldn't get OG Doom 3 from 2004 working at 4K even with mods but BFG Edition worked fine and now using the D3HDP HD texture pack via RBDoom3BFG. The HD mod was updated last month so figured why not check it out, and surprisingly it's rather great.

Blast from the past. The movement and combat mechanics are so fluid, it's like HL2 and Doom 3, Quake and UT from that era just nailed movement and stuff like that.
This version of the game via mods is running in DX12, has SSAO, lighting enhancements and other stuff not in the base game. Running at 4K too.

Doom 3 vanilla works for me in 3440 x 1440. I've got this in DoomConfig.cfg

seta r_customHeight "1440"
seta r_customWidth "3440"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_multiSamples "8"

I think at one point I tried the Redux + SikkMod v1.2.

I wonder what mods I can stack now going from a Geforce 3 Ti200 when I first played it, to a 4090 (over almost 20 years of different GPUs inbetween)

Doom 3 vanilla works for me in 3440 x 1440. I've got this in DoomConfig.cfg

seta r_customHeight "1440"
seta r_customWidth "3440"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_multiSamples "8"

I think at one point I tried the Redux + SikkMod v1.2.

I wonder what mods I can stack now going from a Geforce 3 Ti200 when I first played it, to a 4090 (over almost 20 years of different GPUs inbetween)
You'll be limited by the engine, this is why Dhewm 3 exists.

Never finished this back in the day though wasn't far off, still got the saves from 2005! :p
You should definitely give it another playthrough, it's one of the best FPSes ever made, great narrative, great gameplay, great atmosphere, great everything. Although Resurrection of Evil is not quite as good, it's definitely worth a go. And you have the Lost Missions and the upcoming Phobos now.

People always slated Doom 3, but I thought it was fantastic. At the time, it looked incredible and played really well.

Half Life 2 sort of stole its thunder a few months later, but honestly I think I prefer Doom 3.

People always slated Doom 3, but I thought it was fantastic. At the time, it looked incredible and played really well.

Half Life 2 sort of stole its thunder a few months later, but honestly I think I prefer Doom 3.
I still think HL2 is better, HL2 is the best game ever made, followed by Crysis, Half-Life, maybe Dungeon Keeper 2 and then Doom 3. But the reason why some people disliked Doom 3 was because it was different from the first two games, same reason why some people dislike or hate Saint Row 3 & 4, because it's a "bad" sequel to what they liked about the previous game(s), a series hijack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom