Doubling up speaker cable, improvement I've noticed

Soldato
This is a quick post about how I have improved audio by using 2 runs (doubling up) of identical speaker cable to my computer / desk speakers.

Previous I was using some 17AWG OFC to each of my desktop speakers, I was aware this might have been a little to thin, so I investigated the idea of doubling the speaker cable - I already had identical spare cable so trying this would cost me nothing.

Now typically you run a single positive and single negative cable, but I ran 2 positive and 2 negative cables to the speaker from the amp, please don't confuse with bi-wiring as my speakers only have a single pair of binding points.

Incidentally I had the original idea from this thread.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/doubling-a-set-of-speaker-cables

Now what difference has it's made, well the sound is softer (it's more relaxing) and more rounded. I tested this for 3 days just on one channel only, and I was switching left & right channel and there is definite improvement in sound, I have now doubled up cable on other speaker to match.

So if your looking for ideas of how to eek out some extra performance on the cheap, this could be another one in your armoury.

The cable I'm using is some discontinued Maplins cable I purchased in their closing down sale a few years ago, so not expensive cable.

Here is some photos, the speaker running single cable.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=ZFVKVk9oSHN4Z1F3SjVjR3NjNVMzbkt3bm9obF9n

Then speaker with double cable run

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=bUVwVG1wZVoyeHBtenNpSC15OUZSeWtYa2tfRkd3

Soldato
OP
Have you done a blind test? It could well be a placebo. I'd imagine the single run would be adequate for these speakers assuming it's a fairly short distance to the amp.

Yes I did, I ran one speaker with the double wire only for 3 days and switched left and right to compare. To be honest the difference was very much obvious, I noticed from the very first track I played. There is more detail and sound is more relaxed (tweeters less harsh) on the speakers with double cable.

Permabanned
Unless it was a few strands of corroded cable the first time then it is :

download.jpg

Soldato
OP
Unless it was a few strands of corroded cable the first time then it is :

You don't understand, by doubling the cables I have halved the resistance.

Also I have created a very basic ribbon cable, as one cable pair is positive, and the other is negative. PS Audio use multi speaker cables on their systems, if there was zero benefit PS Audio would not do this.

https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/cables-speaker-cable-design-part-1/

I already had this copper cable spare in my house, i wanted to try before buying more.

Soldato
OP
How long is the cable? If you can measure any resistance on an average length of speaker cable, I'll be utterly gobsmacked. There will be some but it'll be infinitesimally small.

About 4 meters for each speaker.

Just take my word for it that there was a difference, not a small difference either

I'm not aware if PS Audio sell cables, but they talk about them in their videos and use them on the systems they sell.

Soldato
Are these people selling speaker cables?

Yup.

They sell "USB Audio Cables" too.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/pauls-reference-diamond-usb/

Paul's Reference AudioQuest Diamond USB Interconnect is what's running our system in Music Room II. Sweet, open, detailed, yet without any evidence of grain, this curated AQ cable is Paul's choice for PS Audio's Reference System.

The AudioQuest Diamond USB cable is Paul’s pick to run between our server and DirectStream DAC. Perfect Surface Technology is applied to extreme-purity silver conductors to ensure unprecedented clarity and dynamic contrast. Also featured is AQ’s Noise-Dissipation System (NDS), incorporating alternating layers of metal and carbon-loaded synthetics to “shield the shield,” absorbing and reflecting most of the noise/RF energy that would otherwise damage the audio signal before it reaches the layer attached to ground. Getting the noise and jitter levels as low as possible is a critical task for the USB cable in any computer/DAC system. To date, we’ve not found a better combination than Diamond and DirectStream. Openness, musical purity, and an analog-like tonal balance lets music breathe.

:cry:

Last edited:
Commissario
You don't understand audio.
I understand electronics well enough to know that most of these expensive cable manufacturers are making claims based on ridiculous techno-babble phrases they've invented but which don't make sense and in many cases don't actually mean anything.

Then you get the claims that cable sounds different depending on which way it's been dr when it was manufactured and that it has to be run in for a period of time.

I struggle to comprehend that adding a second cable run will make any noticeable difference due to halving the already practically unmeasurable resistance but if that's what you've convinced yourself than great.

Back
Top Bottom