• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Downsampling Made Simple With Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

Permabanned
2560x1440p 75Hz on my S27A750D 120hz monitor also worked. Will keep this setting for single player games but for online fps I need 120Hz goodness.

I did have the monitor show "not optimum mode" but touching the back button got rid of that. Also text seems blurry but sharpness setting should sort that out.

Does this have adverse affects mouse movement in anyway?

Soldato
1530p and 1440p worked for me no problem... for some reason 1440p even worked at 120hz...not sure why since people are having issues with it that high but it booted into any game for me.
4k worked at 30hz aswell and looks superb but theres no way I can enjoy games at 30hz lol.

Associate
I've got Dell U2412M( 1920x1200).
I put in this program values 2560x1440 but when I apply this resolution I got black screen and massage:
The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display.
Please change your input timing to 1920x1200 or any other monitor listed timing.
So shall I decrease refresh rate,to make this to work?

Soldato
OP
Great guide Tommy. Mixed success for me though.

I've overclocked my monitor safely to 66hz at 1440P, that's the max it well go sadly. Tried 3840x2160 @30hz but i get a black/blank screen when i enable it in say BF4 for example. Think it might work if i lowered the refresh rate some more but don't want to run it that low.

:cool:, it's handy, C3 looks absolutely superb downscaled.:eek:

It has quite a few uses too, if you are thinking about moving up to 1440p and testing out your fps or testing vram, no more you haven't tried it nonsense.:p

It did work but then I think I messed up somewhere and thought I damaged my GPU's. So I tuck it as a warning lol

Brown pants time!:eek:

Does this have adverse affects mouse movement in anyway?

BF4 spawn screen, doesn't register properly, in game it's fine.

4k worked at 30hz aswell and looks superb but theres no way I can enjoy games at 30hz lol.

BioShock Infinite looked amazing, but it's too choppy@30Hz.

So shall I decrease refresh rate,to make this to work?

Yes.

Soldato
lol bioshock infinite was the game I tried aswell and it runs really well at 4k. Looks stunning but no way you can play it at 30hz like you said too choppy so leaving games at 1530p which looks amazing... Crysis 3 especially and it seems less of a fps killer than adding AA in crysis does.

Can you explain though why 1440p is working for me at 120hz?
I didn't think it would but it seemed to accept it when most cant seem to get anything more than 75hz or close. Since the pixel clock is very very high at that refresh rate I thought it would just black screen but it worked fine.

Soldato
try using the modded monitor driver.... I tried CRU a few months ago and it didn't work at all. Now it works fine since I installed the modded monitor driver.. I know the OP said you don't need it but it didn't work without it for me.

also make sure GPU scaling isn't ticked in your CCC and make sure hide modes that this monitor cannot display isn't ticked in your monitor properties

http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/69050434/file.html

modded monitor driver is in that pack.

In order to install the Modified Monitor Driver, deactivation of the Windows Driver Signature enforcement is required. If you use Windows 8 or 8.1 deactivating the automatic driver installation is also required

Last edited:
Soldato
are you using windows 8 or 7?

If windows 7 just hit F8 when booting up and you will see the option.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm using W7,I disabled WDS, I started application adlutil,got program to start, where it says press enter to continue and later nothing happens...German instruction...
what's wrong?

Soldato
You don't run adlutil... leave that alone... Just open the folder with the Monitor.inf right click on it and press install... then reboot

Soldato
Im not sure... im on windows 8 and just right clicked on it and clicked install... or I guess you can double click on it and do it that way too.
aslong as the driver thingy is still disabled it should work fine. Its just that one monitor.inf file that you need to install that comes in the folder from the download I gave you... all I did was right click and press install and it installed it.. then restart the pc.

Associate
[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Monitor
ClassGUID={4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider=%MFG%

[Manufacturer]
%MFG%=MonMfg,NTamd64

[MonMfg.NTamd64]
%MODEL%=Mon.Install

[Mon.Install]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=Mon.AddReg,RES,DPMS

[Mon.AddReg]
HKR,%MODE%,Mode1,,%RANGE%

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS

[RES]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,%MAXRES%

[DPMS]
HKR,,DPMS,,0

[Strings]
MFG="Microsoft"
MODEL="DownSampling"
MAXRES="3840,2160"
MODE="MODES\3840,2160"
RANGE="15.0-83.0,24.0-75.0,+,+"

double click seems to work,this is what I supposed to see?now restart?

Associate
double click on monitor inf./do you want to open this file/yes
that what I did(I don't think anything was install,cos how,I only opened it )/ restarted pc/
shall I see some message after reboot?
what's next,applying 2560x1600 should work now?cos it doesn't
I started to feel thick as hell or all that just doesn't work.

Soldato
on windows 8 you just right click on the file and click install.... not sure how you do it on windows 7... maybe look at your monitor in device manager and update driver...

Associate
Yep uninstall current monitor driver and re-install in device manager using 'have disk' option and point it to the .inf file. CRU still just doesn't work for me, even with the 'include extension block' unchecked which I was unsure about previously. The regedit trick @Matson posted on here a while ago works a peach for me though.

Having played around a bit more with graphically demanding games like Metro LL, Crysis 3, BF4, AC4 etc I've noticed that on my 1080p monitor, running at 1530p is equivalent to 4-8X AA with lower drops in FPS. 1530p downsampled with no AA literally looks the same (to me) as 1080p with 8X AA. If I can put 2 or 4X AA on I will but it's barely necessary. It's even better in older games where you can downsample and add AA.

Back
Top Bottom