• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Downsampling Made Simple With Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

What exactly is this? Sorry to ask the noob questions but I have a dell 1400p and was wondering if I could use it or if I should use it and what would the benefits be?

It's essentially no different than SSAA, but instead of using your native res as a starting point and having the AA algorithm blow it up and send you back the interpolated results, you pick the res you want and it is scaled back down to native.

Ever noticed how a HD video looks much better when scaled down in a small window? Same thing! :)

It's essentially no different than SSAA, but instead of using your native res as a starting point and having the AA algorithm blow it up and send you back the interpolated results, you pick the res you want and it is scaled back down to native.

Ever noticed how a HD video looks much better when scaled down in a small window? Same thing! :)

So in a game with SSAA I wouldnt need to do it?

I run my games at 2560x1440p into my 24" Asus, I've gotten higher resolutions to work using nVidia control panel and automatic timings but this is the resolution I found myself sticking to a while back for gaming.

Was going to post this screen in the Assetto Corsa thread but will post it here too. :)

Spoiler tagged so I can keep it at full resolution.

btblQ45.jpg

When I use this my games don't look as sharp as they do when running native 1440p... they should look better right?

It's as if the scaling is bad when the down sampling is happening.

it does not seem to work with my 290 unless im doing something wrong keeps saying out of range.
I heard amd cards don't work with this is it true?

It should work on any screen, try setting it @ 59hz rather then 60...

not happening :(

it does not seem to work with my 290 unless im doing something wrong keeps saying out of range.
I heard amd cards don't work with this is it true?

I'm the same, I just get out of signal range anytime I try.

Screen or GPU then?

It seems to work for Matt, he has a 290.

My screen, about 4 years old now. great screen but getting near needing to be replaced.

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-IPS226V-PN-led-monitor

Last edited:
It's just CRU not being as good as the old Java downsampling too.
If you get that generic downsampling tool from Neogaf to work then you should be able to do some 4K downsampling easy.

AMD need to put downsampling in their drivers.

EDIT : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807472

Your monitor doesn't have much (anything?) to do with proper downsampling.

Last edited:
I think mine is too old, its an early IPS screen. one of the first, i think. its just not upto scratch anymore.

Try a small resolution bump humbug like 1200 dont jump all the way to 1440p in one go and try a lower refresh like 50 even then slowly work it up and see what you can hit

Back
Top Bottom