Dragons Den

MeatLoaf said:
Nope, he went to one of the live shows and i dont think it will be on TV

dmpoole said:
I thought the guy on here had some kind of footstool !?!

Aye, That was me. I just applied for ITV Tycoons too :)

I got my £85,000 investment And a job as a Managing Director Trainee.

Not bad for 18 hey! :cool:

Just to point out some things about the stand by power switch.

Firstly no way in hell does a TV use 20W in standby like they showed, its more like 0.5W or less

Secondly the little receiver which they use in their power connector also has some residual power usage (AS its powered by the battery as they themselves said)

So overall the power saving are exxagerated.

I mean if you integrate that device into the telly ( as the dragons said) Doesn't it itself need power (through batteries or whatever) to wake the TV up from stand by ?

How is that different from what the integrated solution does in any case? Its presumably better but we don't have numbers on that.

sid

sid said:
Just to point out some things about the stand by power switch.

Firstly no way in hell does a TV use 20W in standby like they showed, its more like 0.5W or less

Secondly the little receiver which they use in their power connector also has some residual power usage (AS its powered by the battery as they themselves said)

So overall the power saving are exxagerated.

I mean if you integrate that device into the telly ( as the dragons said) Doesn't it itself need power (through batteries or whatever) to wake the TV up from stand by ?

How is that different from what the integrated solution does in any case? Its presumably better but we don't have numbers on that.

sid

which tv did they use in the experiment?

sid said:
It was a large screen LCD or plasma T.V, that's why it used 20W.

Browsing the web I found a chart, however it may be considered a competitor, so here are a few:

27" CRT - 85W On, 3W Standby
34" CRT - 180W On, 5W Standby
27" LCD - 105W On, 5W Standby
40" LCD - 200W On, 25W Standby
42" Plasma - 350W On, 20W Standby

So, yeah, 20W is roughly the maximum a T.V is going to use on stand by, but it's business, why advertise the poor side of the concept?

I still prefer to turn it off on the wall though.

Longbow said:
It was a large screen LCD or plasma T.V, that's why it used 20W.

Browsing the web I found a chart, however it may be considered a competitor, so here are a few:

27" CRT - 85W On, 3W Standby
34" CRT - 180W On, 5W Standby
27" LCD - 105W On, 5W Standby
40" LCD - 200W On, 25W Standby
42" Plasma - 350W On, 20W Standby

So, yeah, 20W is roughly the maximum a T.V is going to use on stand by, but it's business, why advertise the poor side of the concept?

I still prefer to turn it off on the wall though.

Well those stats are a surprise to me frankly

I have a 37" LG LCD and im pretty sure I read in the manual that it uses less than a watt on standby

sid

sorry i can't be bothered one bit to read any of this thread past the erd of 4th post so if this has been said excuse me.

one reason i tihnk they get made is because they are sitting there (i dont know how long or) with person after person coming along being stupid and lying to them with there figures, porjections, profit etc so they get mad.

I'd hate for peter jones to have a go at me, anyone seen the size of him? he's HUGE!!! money and a big feet ;) woman must love him

sid said:
sid

im presuming its more for the people that have the tv, vcr, dvd etc on standby for days/weeks without using them. I know my dvd player espcially will be on standby and i wont use it sometimes for upto a month.

oops double post, though someone would have psoted again when typing this. sos mod if i make you mad

addy_010 said:
im presuming its more for the people that have the tv, vcr, dvd etc on standby for days/weeks without using them. I know my dvd player espcially will be on standby and i wont use it sometimes for upto a month.

oops double post, though someone would have psoted again when typing this. sos mod if i make you mad

But what he is trying to say is that it IS no different than leaving a device on standby! A TV has to use power when it is off in order to 'listen' for when the remote control turns it on again. This is (unless I am mistaken) exactly what their 'product' does. The difference is that it turns your TV off completely and then the device itself listens for the remote (so it can turn the TV on again when you press it). So in both cases something is 'listening', the difference is only what is actually doing it.

Now they say that their way of 'listening' consumes less power than how a TV does it. Unfortunately for them TV companies could easily reduce the standby power consumption massively themselves if they wanted to, and they sure as well wouldn't infringe on their patent by doing so (they would be able to claim prior art). The only novel thing about their method was the use of a rechargable battery (I think?). There are plenty of people who already do this, so I seriously doubt that their patent would stand up in court.

Note that having a patent and having a patent that stands up in court are very different things. It is very easy to get a patent. The patent office dont really make sure that you are patenting something novel. If your not then you will still be granted a patent, only it will be completely useless.

Last edited:
AcidHell2 said:
And a great product, i would have gone alone. if they have a patent then they dont need the dragons. That is unusual as i would usually say there stupid for not accepting the dragons offer.

i agree.
if it was what they claimed, then to give away 50% is huge.... when they could have probablly mangaged with out their help

I caught a bit of last night episode, where the two numpties got all five dragons to invest but for a massive share. I have two things to say:

I understand that there is some discussion about introducing a law that will force manufacturers to remove standby functionality from such items. Thereby, in the longer term, making the incorporation into units irrelevant and the retro-fit market limited.

The second, why are people so lazy they just can't get up and switch the damn thing off. Perhaps we should consider the banning of remote controls as well and the fat biffers shovelling cakes down their gobs whilst being ripped off phoning to vote for 'Z-List Celebrity Love Brother Ice Dance Island' might actually get some exercise lifting their lardy arses off the sofa. :D

wedgie22 said:
You have to remember that they will see a lot of people with terrible ideas...

I would imagine that the shows producers could easily fill the programme with people with relatively good ideas but that wouldn't be such good telly.

Chrisss said:
The woman is annoying but the rest are fine, if they were all boring businessmen then the show wouldn't be worth watching.

I noticed last night that she came across as much nicer when they were filming her when she was out and about meeting with some guy she had promised to invest in.

the best idea was the idiot with the "driving in Europe glove"

it was a golf glove which you put on your right hand when in Europe to remind yourself to drive on the right side of the road!

GENIUS!

i love this program, some of the ideas are laughable, some genuinely clever. it makes good TV

I love the program, but that Duncan Bannatyne does my head in. He's always quick to put them down, never invests, and yesterday even said "I really hope that it doesn't work"!

I mean seriously, you have more money than hundreds combined, and you're still wishing people failure? I'd love it if some goon came along and made it despite the ramblings of that old ****.

AJUK said:
I caught a bit of last night episode, where the two numpties got all five dragons to invest but for a massive share. I have two things to say:

I understand that there is some discussion about introducing a law that will force manufacturers to remove standby functionality from such items. Thereby, in the longer term, making the incorporation into units irrelevant and the retro-fit market limited.

The second, why are people so lazy they just can't get up and switch the damn thing off. Perhaps we should consider the banning of remote controls as well and the fat biffers shovelling cakes down their gobs whilst being ripped off phoning to vote for 'Z-List Celebrity Love Brother Ice Dance Island' might actually get some exercise lifting their lardy arses off the sofa. :D

But if they've patented a design that works, is cheap, and the companies sign up to before the law is imposed then they're laughing - particularly as they're adament there's nothing else available to do the same job.

I think part of the problem is that people - even when told to their FACE - don't understand how an appliance could draw so much current when on standby, when they can't actually see them doing anything. Like that guy said, my set-top box for my freeview runs hot even when off, though my entire bedroom is pretty much rigged up to a fat mains switch that I turn off when I go out (my dad is crazy about wasting energy).

Back
Top Bottom