Dreaded Appointment

Soldato
Never had a pet myself. It must be dreadful having to decide to put your loved pet to sleep when it’s in such pain and discomfort.

Have friends and relatives with pets. They miss not being jumped on when they get home, walks etc

Soldato
Make sure you are there at the end.

From one of my Vets said:
“When you are a pet owner it is inevitable, the majority of the time, that your pet will die before you do,”

“So if and when you have to take your pet to the vet’s office for a humane pain-free ending I want you all to know something. You have been the centre of their world for THEIR ENTIRE LIVES!!!! “It is devastating for us as humans to lose them. But please I beg you DO NOT LEAVE THEM."

"Do not make them transition from life to death in a room of strangers in a place they don't like. The thing you people need to know that most of you don't is that THEY SEARCH FOR YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE THEM BEHIND!!!!"

“They search every face in the room for their loved person. They don’t understand why you left them when they are sick, scared, old, or dying from cancer and they need your comfort.

"Don't be a coward because you think it is just too hard for YOU, imagine what they feel as you leave them in their most vulnerable time and people like me are left to try our best every time to comfort them, make them less scared and try to explain why you just couldn't stay."

Soldato
I am sorry to hear this, it is never easy to lose a part of your family.

While you may say that you may not ever have another dog, do not rule it out. My mother said the same thing a few years ago when her cat passed away "I'm too old, and they cause my allergies to flare up", and within a couple of years, there's a new cat patrolling their house.

And

And

Associate
I really feel for you there kinetic, tough call, I hope you're ok.

Our cat is nearly 22 years old. She has special food and tablets for kidney problems, nearly died last year from an bug which caused chronic diarrhoea, lost her hearing a couple of years ago and will pee in the corner of the hallway at least once a week even though her tray is only a yard away. She also has a lump in her abdomen but the vet didn't want to do an exploratory op as he couldn't be sure she'd survive. The last time she was at the vets he called her 'miracle cat' and said to us he could see why we're so fond of her - she's very loving and, unless she's after food or wants to spend a little time outside in the yard, just wants to be fussed and curl up on your lap. We got her about six months after we moved into this house and, as we don't have any children (my wife suffers from epilepsy and lupus) the cat is all we have so when she does go we'll be devastated.

Made the heartbreaking but correct decision to have our 14 year old black Lab Max put to sleep next week. He's lost control of his bowels, doesn't want to go out and when he does go out, he keeps falling over. He's your typical Lab, soft as anything, loyal and a great guard dog, only barking when he hears something he doesn't like. His guarding days are over now as he's completely deaf and almost blind so he likes to stay close, which makes the thought of taking him to the vet very upsetting. The appointment is a week today, so we're going to give him our full attention over the next week, helped by my wife being on holiday. We're going to miss him but feel we've put it off long enough. :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the kind words guys he's now at peace. It was a dreadful experience but he literally fell asleep instantly with his head on my lap. The vet was very kind and she told us we'd done the right thing. We're having his ashes back in a box with a photo frame on one side, so I think I'll do a little montage with his first pic and last amongst them. His first photo is him at 8 weeks old sat in a makeshift bed, a washing up bowl with a blanket in it. He was an amazing dog and always said hello to whoever we met on our walks. The only people who didn't like him were the fishermen at the local pond, as he used to make a beeline for the water as soon as we let him off the lead. Great times and I'm going to miss him terribly. :(

Soldato
So sorry for your loss of a loved one. Keep the memories close to your heart. You certainly made the most difficult, yet correct, decision. It is so hard to lose a loved one, but it shouldn't stop us loving, it is worth it for the years of love and fun together and even the bittersweet memory years. I'd rather enjoy the good and endure the hurt than not have any of it.

Soldato
OP
So sorry for your loss of a loved one. Keep the memories close to your heart. You certainly made the most difficult, yet correct, decision. It is so hard to lose a loved one, but it shouldn't stop us loving, it is worth it for the years of love and fun together and even the bittersweet memory years. I'd rather enjoy the good and endure the hurt than not have any of it.
At this exact moment in time it's hard to agree with you but I know you're right. It was truly heartbreaking not to hear the thump of his tail when I opened the kitchen door this morning and the grief is pretty overwhelming. I feel I'm overreacting but it's good to get my feelings out to those who don't know me but sympathize anyway. By pure coincidence a local woman who fosters dogs was asking for bowls, bedding etc. so we're taking them round this morning. Hopefully I don't burst into tears when I hand them over. :(

Soldato
We lost Squeak the cat on Tuesday and handed his paraphernalia to AnimalCare yesterday. I nearly cried. Since yesterday, I have just about had it all in check and was smiling at the memories until I read your original post.

Soldato
OP
We lost Squeak the cat on Tuesday and handed his paraphernalia to AnimalCare yesterday. I nearly cried. Since yesterday, I have just about had it all in check and was smiling at the memories until I read your original post.
Sorry about that and for your loss. I guess we both know it will get easier with time and then hopefully the good memories will have outweighed the bad. :)

Soldato
Thanks. I am trying to concentrate on the two most salient points: I am capable of unconditional love, and I am worthy of the same in the eyes of Squeak. It helps me. I'm sure Max considered himself lucky to have you guys.

Soldato
OP
Sorry to drag this up again but just thought I'd give a quick update. It's been tough, really tough and my wife's taking it particularly badly. I'm coming to terms with it slowly but she's consumed by guilt. Not just the guilt of making the decision to end his life, but of the times she used to complain about dog hair etc. She spent the majority of the time with Max, as she was home all day and worked in the evening. He loved her and was always by her side, especially as he got older. When he was younger, he used to sit at the window just before she was due home, I swear he had a wrist watch! I try to remind her he loved her unconditionally, and that everyone complains about the endless amount of dog hair etc, but it's falling on deaf ears at the moment. :(

Soldato
Sorry to drag this up again but just thought I'd give a quick update. It's been tough, really tough and my wife's taking it particularly badly. I'm coming to terms with it slowly but she's consumed by guilt. Not just the guilt of making the decision to end his life, but of the times she used to complain about dog hair etc. She spent the majority of the time with Max, as she was home all day and worked in the evening. He loved her and was always by her side, especially as he got older. When he was younger, he used to sit at the window just before she was due home, I swear he had a wrist watch! I try to remind her he loved her unconditionally, and that everyone complains about the endless amount of dog hair etc, but it's falling on deaf ears at the moment. :(

Dam that was hard to read. Got a lump in my throat. You DID do what's right, however painful it is for you both.

Too early to surprise her with a new pup?

Back
Top Bottom