Drivers to meet with FIA over Hamiltons driving

Caporegime
He has haters bc hes a liability and hes going to get someone killed

They said the same about Senna

They said the same about Schumacher

They are now saying the same about Hamilton.

Same BS, different people, different year.

Ultimately, i think the sport was better for having Senna / Schumacher despite the ill feelings at the time (Adelaide '94 anybody ?)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
You know, it's supremely irritating. You dare to criticise the way Hamilton is acting, and you're labelled a hater.

Newsflash, guys - Lewis Hamilton is acting like a complete arse. He's dismissive of other drivers (even those doing a far better job than he is), he's disrespectful to the stewards who are only trying to do their job (yet another sarcastic message on the radio last time out), and he's making mistakes that no-one of his talent should be making. Yes, in the same Singapore race Schumacher collided with another car. A car that slowed, unexpectedly, on a line that he was already committed to. That is not the same as not bothering to wait for a much cleaner overtaking opportunity and forgetting where your own ******* front wing is.

The sooner the old Lewis Hamilton - happy, confident, aggressive-but-clean, and biblically quick - comes back the better.

Caporegime
JRS - do you think Hamilton is being treated the way he is because of how he is acting, or do you think he is acting the way he is because of the way he is being treated?

Personally, I think its more of a reactive way of acting based on how he is being treated and (arguably more importantly) portrayed in the media? I mean look at the Massa incident. It was a tiny touch after a momentary tiny mistake, yet you get comments from the likes of iamtheoneneo above, and Hamilton then reacts with sarcasm. Yeah, sure, its not big and clever to react like that, but its got to the stage where anything he says or done will be wrong in peoples eyes.

I mean look at that Twitter apology he sent about something earlier in the year. He stood up, took the blame, and apologised to the F1 world and to the F1 public, and the response he got was.... people taking the **** out of his use of 'text speech' in his post!

I mean come on, when you get that kind of reaction to anything you do, you can either be sarcastic and joke about it, or get angry. I'm quite glad he's not shouting abuse down the radio.

But tbh, we all know its a loose loose for him. McLaren could produce an epic car next year and he wins the title in style, and people would still find things to complain about. Its the British way. We love to beat our sporting starts down, rather than big up their success.

For example, has anyone at any point stopped to commend him on the fact that even with the crash, spending 2 laps out there with half a front wing, an extended pit stop and a drive through, he still made it up to 5th? It was an epic drive by a supremely talented driver, but this has all been dismissed because he braked 50cm too late at one corner...

EDIT: The video above... Massa deliberately trying to get a rise out of Hamilton just shows the issue is with other peoples attitudes. Why does Massa feel he has any right to basically try to start fights with him? The fact Hamilton DIDNT smash his face in shows he is handling this well.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Perhaps Massa was trying too hard to 'destroy Hamilton's race' as requested by Rob Smedley.

As I said in the Singapore race weekend thread:

Just LOL at the Lewisterical crew taking that radio message and projecting so hard that reality distorts :D I mean, honestly. What was the message going to be if it wasn't 'Felipe, hold the guy behind you and we can finish ahead of him'? It's ******* Motor Racing! You try and stay ahead of the guys behind you!

JRS - do you think Hamilton is being treated the way he is because of how he is acting, or do you think he is acting the way he is because of the way he is being treated?

Bit from each column, I suspect. Stewards will rarely give him the benefit of the doubt, because of his comments in the past, so when he gets a penalty from them now that's a bit harsh but within the letter of the rulebook he throws a strop.

As for the way that people watching F1 are talking about him right now - well, neither side of the Hamilton debate are exactly covering themselves in glory are they? You've got the Lewisterical brigade on one side, convinced that everything is a dastardly plot against their boy and that anyone who dares to say that he's making mistakes is a hater. On the other side, you've got the hooting knobbers cheering every time he's penalised and berating him for every little thing that he does. And if you don't belong in either camp, you're met with derision from both sides.

He's not having a good season. His reaction to not having a good season has not been particularly clever for the most part. It is *not* an attack, or the mark of a hater, to say so. He's still got a truly awesome turn of speed, and he will be back fighting for the title as soon as McLaren build a car worthy of his prodigious talent.

Until then, I'm just hoping he can ride out what's left of this season without further incident.

Soldato
Hamilton is the most entertaining person in todays Formula 1, not only because of his driving but because of his straight forward personality and his ways.

The reason why he has haters is because he brings so much to F1.

Doubt it true, just over exaggerated crap. Though entertaining, just because of the fact it is LH.

Imagine no LH on the grid, even the haters would start to miss him.

Completely spot on. It's a sad state of affairs that the FIA are trying to reprimand the only thing entertaining about F1.

Take Hamilton out, and it's basically a procession.

Soldato
As I said in the Singapore race weekend thread:

Bit from each column, I suspect. Stewards will rarely give him the benefit of the doubt, because of his comments in the past, so when he gets a penalty from them now that's a bit harsh but within the letter of the rulebook he throws a strop.

As for the way that people watching F1 are talking about him right now - well, neither side of the Hamilton debate are exactly covering themselves in glory are they? You've got the Lewisterical brigade on one side, convinced that everything is a dastardly plot against their boy and that anyone who dares to say that he's making mistakes is a hater. On the other side, you've got the hooting knobbers cheering every time he's penalised and berating him for every little thing that he does. And if you don't belong in either camp, you're met with derision from both sides.

He's not having a good season. His reaction to not having a good season has not been particularly clever for the most part. It is *not* an attack, or the mark of a hater, to say so. He's still got a truly awesome turn of speed, and he will be back fighting for the title as soon as McLaren build a car worthy of his prodigious talent.

Until then, I'm just hoping he can ride out what's left of this season without further incident.

Good post

I also think that he (and most of the fans) thought JB was going to be a comfortable No2 driver. Whether through luck, judgement and/or skill, JB is having a really good year and I'm sure that is affecting LH mentally.

He could do with Petrov's aunty for bit :D

Caporegime
I don't think JB is worrying him. I think Hamilton is clever enough to know that JB is beating him because Hamilton is making mistakes, not simply because JB is better than him.

Soldato
It would also help, of course, if the car was more competitive. LH feels he needs to take more risks to close the gap up to Ferrari/RB. It makes for fantastic viewing but mistakes will be made.

I would hate to see him change his style because of this though.

Soldato
Stewards will rarely give him the benefit of the doubt, because of his comments in the past

That doesn't wash though. Because the FIA insists the stewards are different for each race. Some of these stewards have such a tenuous, sometimes totally non-existent, links to motorsport that it also isn't hard to believe most of them aren't even aware of who Lewis Hamilton is or any of his past incidents. So the only way your remark could be true is if there is at least one consistent person that attends this stewards meetings...

Last edited:
Associate
Didn't Hamilton admit to being in the wrong that evening after the Massa collision?
I would have said it was his fault as well but isn't that part of the excitement that is Motorsport? That this sort of thing can and will happen?

Sooner or later health and safety will ban overtaking, its obviously too dangerous.

Caporegime
That doesn't wash though. Because the FIA insists the stewards are different for each race. Some of these stewards have such a tenuous, sometimes totally non-existent, links to motorsport that it also isn't hard to believe most of them aren't even aware of who Lewis Hamilton is or any of his past incidents. So the only way your remark could be true is if there is at least one consistent person that attends this stewards meetings...

I thought it was 1 permanent, 1 guest, and 1 driver steward?

Caporegime
The way I see it is that LH isnt a dangerous driver, but makes some frankly careless mistakes on a frequent basis - for the fact they are doing this drivers meeting is probably the best thing to happen to him, as it will give him the (more than necesary) kick up the arse to prove his peers/media wrong.

He doesnt need a penalty (do we really think thats why the meeting has been called? Personally I think its just to get your views aired) when he knows what his fellow competitors think of him, especially when it doesnt seem purely politics are on the agenda...

Im not a fan of LH, but I feel Ive been a relatively fair critic of his. He really just needs to stop putting himself in the wrong place both off and on the track. Theres no harm in keeping a clean nose (pun intended :p). He needs to reassess his risk/reward strategy as that will pay off for him long-term...

P.S. I own an X360 or an ATI GFX card or love Linux or something - unfortunately in here thats how silly the arguments get when you dont love LH or criticise him...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes. Heikki made reference to it on Twitter:

"@duskyBlogF1: @H_Kovalainen Are all drivers attending a 'special meeting' in Japan about Hamilton's driving? I'm not I have no problem"

It's so so sad. I hope the names of drivers that attend the meeting are made public.

Caporegime
If the drivers have the choice to not go, then this to me sound more like somthing a group of drivers are taking to the FIA, rather than something the FIA has arranged and requested all the drivers to attend.

Which again just highlights the problem. Other people thinking they can just have a pop at Hamilton whenever they feel like. What is Lewis supposed to do when a bunch of his equals run to the boss to moan, not to mention tormenting him on camera to try to get a reaction. I hope the FIA just laugh at them and tell them to get on with it. Its like whining school kids.

"but siiiiiiir, Lewis drove into me and broke my tyre, its not faiiiir"
"drive fast enough so that he doesn't catch you then..."

Back
Top Bottom