1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driveways!

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by IceCream, Sep 16, 2019.

1. IceCream

Associate

Does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to creating a driveway? I know we have to get the council to drop the kerb, but how about any new fangled eco-materials out there so we can avoid concrete or gravel? Thanks.

2. robj20

Sgarrista

I'd probably have mine tarmacked or just concrete.
    Looked at resin but to be done properly it's tarmacked first then done and it's not easy to repair.
    Flags are rubbish always come loose and crack.
    Blocks I don't like either.

3. Syla5

Soldato

Had ours block paved last year, 100m2 and looks so much better then when it was previously gravelled. Cost wise blocks are pretty reasonable. Had plenty of complements on how much better it looks since getting it done. Best advice is get at least 3-4 quotes from trades people with good reviews or recommendations.

4. SquirrelMadness

Gangster

I like those grey paving bricks that go together like a jigsaw puzzle.

5. keylion

Gangster

I like a natural stone block, but it can be expensive.

6. ANDARIAL

Soldato

7. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

Block paving. Make sure you have the foundations built to cope with the vehicles that will be parked on it.

8. koolpc

Capodecina

Railway sleepers dug in and bedded onto well compacted ground and bolted together if need be

Google it. Different and can look really good!

9. IceCream

Associate

Brilliant thank you all.

10. Relentless81

Capodecina

If you can, can you keep us updated. All of the exterior of my house needs ripping up and replacing so I'm interested in this type of thing at the moment

11. IceCream

Associate

Will do.

12. sovietspybob

Mobster

Yeah i'd be interested too, i need to do something with our driveway as it's currently just slate which is a pain to keep on top of the weeds.

13. gav_172

Associate

We are currently having ours done at the moment. Gone with the block paved route. Had a tarmac drive at previous house and felt it looked cheap. Contemplated resin, but worried about oil dripping on it or marking it and the whole thing being ruined. With blocks worst case you can pop some out and replace.

14. IceCream

Associate

15. koolpc

Capodecina

16. SeatIbiza

Wise Guy

Agreed! OK for commercial applications, or areas where flooding is an issue, but for home use - no thanks. It would also be terrible to work on if you wanted to change the oil or something and it's be muddy in the winter and you'd get mud in your car.

17. UTmaniac

Soldato

Two generous strips of something solid for tyres to grip on, running front to back on drive, leave rest to allow water drainage.

18. Steeps

Soldato

We laid similar to the ecogrid on the edge of our turf to allow driving on the grass to help shuffle 3 cars on the drive after the previous owner built an extension. It helps keep the ground level for access instead of churning up mud with regular driving but don't expect grass to survive on the area you're regularly driving over or under the car if parked for long periods during the day, it will look a mess after a few weeks. For a drive I'd use ecogrid with small loose gravel if that's the system you want to use, grass won't grow properly.

19. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

It should be permeable

Could be block paving, reinforced grass/gravel systems (e.g. Golpla) as IceCream has already suggested.

20. Skiddley

Mobster

I'm having a nightmare with SuDS at the moment. 50K driveway, and all sorts of issues relating to this. I look around, and everyone's just slapping down resin\non-perm tarmac\pressed concrete without a care in the world and the council don't seem to bat an eye-lid. I must be doing something wrong.