Drones over gatwick..

Caporegime
I fly my racer on the weekends, or at lunchtime.

No different than an RC car, or doing some other outside hobby.

Bit different to an RC car, shutting down an airport with an RC car is going to be rather difficult.

If some reckless RC car user drives into say a road then they're more likely to get their car crushed than cause an accident and the road itself isn't going to get shut down.

Soldato
I suppose they’ll be wary of shooting/taking it down incase it’s full of explosives!

Have there been any other incidents like this with drones spotted over airports?

I have no idea about weight/power of explosives btw :p

Caporegime
I suppose they’ll be wary of shooting/taking it down incase it’s full of explosives!

Have there been any other incidents like this with drones spotted over airports?

Yes, IIRC there was an incident at an RAF location not so long ago.

Given the cost of this sort of disruption then the apparent lack of countermeasures seems a bit silly.

Soldato
I fly my racer on the weekends, or at lunchtime.

No different than an RC car, or doing some other outside hobby.

I feel sorry for the racers & freesyle flyers. The most skillful drone pilots whose stripped-back drones are least likely to cause a nuisance due to very short flight times (typically 3-4 mins? Maybe 10 at a stretch with a super light with low kv motors?) yet they'll be lumped in with the larger, longer range, auto flying "camera birds". It doesn't seem fair.

Soldato
It just means the BBC are using meaningless buzzwords to make it more exciting.

Much like 'weapons grade novichok', in case people got confused with the novichok they could buy in Tesco.

mock them if you like but at least they've cleared this up for those who were cowering under their beds:

"What is a drone?
The term "drone" for some prompts images of air strikes but the sophisticated flying robots used on the battlefield are unlikely to be what we are talking about here."

"unlikely". but it MAY be....

Caporegime
I feel sorry for the racers & freesyle flyers. The most skillful drone pilots whose stripped-back drones are least likely to cause a nuisance due to very short flight times (typically 3-4 mins? Maybe 10 at a stretch with a super light with low kv motors?) yet they'll be lumped in with the larger, longer range, auto flying "camera birds". It doesn't seem fair.

Why do you feel sorry for them?

Caporegime
Because it's Christmas, Dowie.

You don't suppose that future legislation might categorise this stuff as per current legislation? Or are you also worried that one of the stocking filler drones that can mostly be used indoors will require licensing.

Frankly I don't think licensing for "drones" is necessarily a bad thing.

Soldato
You don't suppose that future legislation might categorise this stuff as per current legislation? Or are you also worried that one of the stocking filler drones that can mostly be used indoors will require licensing.

Frankly I don't think licensing for "drones" is necessarily a bad thing.

No idea mate.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
The thing is, if someone wants to cause disruption - then they will. Tighter controls of drones won't change that, they can just find other ways to disrupt.

Stand on the wrong side of the railings of a motorway, that'll close the road - disruption for thousands. Phone in a hoax at a large building, more disruption.

Caporegime
Can't be bothered replying to everyone to be honest.

It's a hobby, if you're going to be a tit and act irresponsibily, get the book thrown at you.

I have no issues with registering, but my main qualm with that is racer or freestyle drones aren't a set spec, so they'd need to have an option for adding customisation to your registered unit

Soldato
They should send up a police helicopter and a bloke holding a long pond dipping net :D

Catch the pigeon? I like it. :D

It's a hobby, if you're going to be a tit and act irresponsibily, get the book thrown at you.

I have no issues with registering, but my main qualm with that is racer or freestyle drones aren't a set spec, so they'd need to have an option for adding customisation to your registered unit

Yes, weight (500g?) and acceleration shouldn't be the only factors to consider when legislating drones IMO. Flight time should also be considered to separate the relatively harmless sport flyers from potentially more dangerous long range flyers.

Last edited:
Associate

I appreciate there is now going to be massive backlash against drones users and that is unfortunate for many responsible users. But there are relatively few hobbies that can realistically close down a massive airport for the day and have a huge impact on our national economy..

Further legislation will now be incoming (well once Brexit is sorted :p)

Soldato
Well, hopefully the snipers are there to take out the drone flyer :). Tough lesson but hey ho, risking lives of others and doing something so stupid - needs putting down. Dissuade others from doing the same = the majority of hobbyists left alone to enjoy their hobby.

Back
Top Bottom