Drones over gatwick..

Soldato
In the US they have anti-drone technology at nearly all of their major airports. Why we don't have this at ours is beyond comprehension, and even if we do in this instance , it clearly isn't very good...

I can't help but think that in the US they would have had teams of people searching the area to identify the perpetrators as well as multiple helicopters and their own drones hunting the perpetrators drones.

The whole operation is a farce.

My feeling is that the Government Minister who was overseeing this is out of their depth and won't call for outside help from the Army etc because of ego, and similarly I think the police involved are doing the same because they don't want to admit 'defeat' and call upon the Army.

What a complete and utter national embarrassment, just like everything else that has been happening.

Associate
Eagles and hawks that's what they need..i remember reading something a while. Back about trained hawks that were in guard over nfl stadiums to take out drones which were illigaly recording the football

Theres enough hawk displays on around the UK I'm sure they could borrow a few to train up and attack! xD

Caporegime
Looks like an inside job to me?

Shoot it down! From an RAF helicopter. This was bound to happen. Police a laughing stock! Where is all the technology GCHQ is supposed to have?

What does GCHQ have to do with drone countermeasures?

What do you mean by an "inside job"? In what way?

Soldato
OP
So now I see the police have admitted defeat now and have called upon the Mod... Finally...

It's going to be very interesting to see what they bring to bear on this problem, and crucially - if they catch the perpetrators, who by now must surely be thinking *oh ****....*

I'm wondering whether the military have advanced forms of radar, or systems that can track or even jam very small objects - that they could use to better detect and track a small drone, as opposed to airport systems designed for planes.

Soldato
Aren't US airports owned by the state? Therefor they tend to invest in them more? UK ones are owned by private companies who only care about money, it generally takes a big event before they act.

Gatwick is apparently owned by Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) which is a New York Based investment fund :D

Soldato
I think the thing that I find quite shocking (or perhaps not) is how slow and unprepared we are. The timing of this was almost perfect for the people doing this as mps had just gone for recess for Christmas as well.

Soldato
Why are you trying to make out that there's some sort of national shame to be had in this incident? Gatwick Airport has apparently failed to invest in anti-drone measures, but that's on them; I'm not sure how that becomes something anyone else should feel embarrassed about.

Seriously? For all the reasons I mentioned?

Man of Honour
It is being fixed, but it should not have gotten to the point of stopping flights. Plenty of proven tech out there that will remove drone problems and also lead you directly to the controller....from which point you can despatch them with a nice shot between the ears.

Associate
Its properly ruined our Christmas as my parents have had their flight cancelled and have been told that they wouldn't be rescheduled until after Christmas day anyway.

Also Easyjet just refunded the original cost to their account and washed their hands of it, classy behaviour.

Soldato
Its properly ruined our Christmas as my parents have had their flight cancelled and have been told that they wouldn't be rescheduled until after Christmas day anyway.

Also Easyjet just refunded the original cost to their account and washed their hands of it, classy behaviour.

kind of lucky - its been classed as an extraordinary event which means the airlines don't legally have to refund.

Associate
I cannot believe airports don't have systems in place for this because of the terror threat. You would be amazed at the measures they have for places such as big shopping centres like Bluewater (not for drones obviously). This is all starting to make my tin foil hat tingle a bit.

If it was an activist group i would have thought they would admit it for publicity by now.

I'm going for the trusted film type situation. A nerd was brought in to create a system to prevent drone attacks, the nerd believes the program is flawed and raises concerns but is ignored.... Nerd is furious because no one has taken him seriously... Nerd then teaches themselves to build and fly drones (quieue montage with 80's music).. Nerd then brings Gatwick Airport to its knees to prove said flaw in the program... credits...

On a serious note i do feel for the people that were meant to be flying out to see loved ones over Christmas.. My brother in law is caught up in this and will probably miss out as well.

Caporegime
Why are you trying to make out that there's some sort of national shame to be had in this incident? Gatwick Airport has apparently failed to invest in anti-drone measures, but that's on them; I'm not sure how that becomes something anyone else should feel embarrassed about.

True, a large part of the blame perhaps should be with the airport itself for not investing in countermeasures. (assuming they are allowed to or can be licensed to operate say ECM equipment with civilian staff?)

Though given that drones can be both a nuisance and a potential security threat not just in airports it does seem a bit short sighted that police forces, especially those in and around London, are seemingly not well equipped to deal with them. Not to mention that they're partly responsible for the security of major airports like Gatwick.

Back
Top Bottom