Dumbell workout?

Wow, I look and see that this thread is over a month old and if I'm honest, I haven't committed at all.

I want to, I really do. I hate myself and I hate my weight at the moment, but I just don't do anything about it.

How can I commit? Do I just stop being fat and lazy and just force myself to do it?

When I come home from work at 7, I'm usually drained and have no energy and the last thing I feel like doing is picking up weights. How can I get over this?

I want to, I really do. I hate myself and I hate my weight at the moment, but I just don't do anything about it.

Really? If you did, then you would. :)

How can I commit? Do I just stop being fat and lazy and just force myself to do it?

When I come home from work at 7, I'm usually drained and have no energy and the last thing I feel like doing is picking up weights. How can I get over this?

There are days when I get up in the morning and can't even think about facing the gym, and that carries on all day until I get past the first set of whatever I'm doing.

Sometimes i hate the fricking gym because my shoulders hurt, my back hurts, I have work on my mind and I just don't have the energy to even work with an unloaded bar. But I still do it because I want to lift big. My wife thinks my hobby is pointless, calls me fat, and nobody wants to train with me anymore because they think I will be derisive about what and how they lift.

It hurts, it's hard work, and it's never going to be easy. But the rewards that can be yours are pretty awesome.

So stop saying you want to commit and commit.

rear-foot elevated squats, I don't have anything to do these with. Which exercise should I replace it with?

Also I'm still confused with the super set thing, so I do for example on Monday:

A set of goblet squats and then straight into overhead dumbell press, rest for 60 seconds then do a set of reverse lunges then chinups... rinse repeat?

Cheers

You either want the results or you don't. There is no answer other than to push yourself until you are where you say you want to be. Other people have done it before you, so why can't you?

This thread has been handy and looks to be suitable to my needs (similar situation to OP, but have a lot more time on my hands to do the routine).

I currently do some cardio (running, not as much lately due to dreadful flooding weather) and want to look at something to compliment that and the advice in here looks to be good.

Can anyone suggest a good affordable set of dumbbells to get, baring in mind I haven't done anything like this before and I'm as weak as anything :p?

My diet is pretty stable/OK now, I initially lost quite a bit through that alone and then introduced some cardio and think its now time to step up into some weights too.

If you can afford it, even a basic gym is better than home dumbells-only. :)

Depending on what your objectives are, you might want to adjust the regime slightly, i.e. more weight for strength without the supersetting...

If you can afford it, even a basic gym is better than home dumbells-only. :)

Depending on what your objectives are, you might want to adjust the regime slightly, i.e. more weight for strength without the supersetting...

Apologies, but I'm pretty oblivious to most things equipment wise etc. I have read Gordys and Steedies threads and they've helped a bit - but in terms of what will help me most, I'm still unsure.

The part that attracted me to this thread was the relative cheap cost to get going and the access, ie. I'm more likely to do it if its at home with me (seems backwards, but if I can get right up, exercise and then shower I've found with the cardio it's started the days off well. I struggle with evenings.)

It also seemed quite simple to get going and wasn't so daunting :).

My main goal currently is just to shift the fat and get into a place that I feel comfortable with. I'm pretty young, nearly 20, so it's a good early time to get going with a routine!

The budget would be sub £50 certainly, ideally around the £30 price point to get me going. It's not the best budget, but it's better than nothing I hope!

So any recommendations based on that would be good, as I'm honestly clueless.

Apologies for hijacking the thread OP!

To be fair, with £50 you're not going to get too far.

Anything that gives you around 60kg of weight would not be a bad start.

Googling reveals a 'set' of weights with dumbells/barbell, but I would not advise you to drop £50 on that, because it will wind up limiting you within a couple of months.

However, from a pragmatic perspective, you have no other choice if you don't want to pay for a gym.

To be fair, with £50 you're not going to get too far.

Anything that gives you around 60kg of weight would not be a bad start.

Googling reveals a 'set' of weights with dumbells/barbell, but I would not advise you to drop £50 on that, because it will wind up limiting you within a couple of months.

However, from a pragmatic perspective, you have no other choice if you don't want to pay for a gym.

As suspected, unfortunately.

For arguments sake, could I get by with the routine posted and a set of dumb bells, just to get me started and see some progression as perhaps a starting point to which I could build on in the future with more funds?

I will look at gyms in the local area, however on previous looking there aren't many and it isn't the nicest of areas in terms of people, which makes me slightly apprehensive amongst other bits.

Absolutely. There is nothing 'wrong' with any weights, really.

The only issue is that it will be disappointing for you, two months down the line after your 'noob' gainz, realising that 50kg isn't really that much and having spent £50 on them.

Most of the stuff in the routine posted is single leg/arm/whatever, so should increase the impact of each exercise, but 50kg will have you champing at the bit in a short space of time, particularly if you're new to the game.

Thanks for the advice, I shall have a scout around the Internet and see what else I can find for a good price etc.

If it will last me a few months at least and see some progression then that's good for me, perhaps it will put me in a better position to know how I should move forward and I may be in a location better suited to going to the gym.

Some things to think over, but hopefully I can find something that will help.

Thanks for the advice, I shall have a scout around the Internet and see what else I can find for a good price etc.

If it will last me a few months at least and see some progression then that's good for me, perhaps it will put me in a better position to know how I should move forward and I may be in a location better suited to going to the gym.

Some things to think over, but hopefully I can find something that will help.

No worries. It will give you just enough to get hooked on those juicy endorphins. :D

If you're only looking for a gash set, you might as well check auction sites or whatever to get as cheap a set as possible, as the quality is not going to be what I would describe as 'awesome' at £35 or £50...

No worries. It will give you just enough to get hooked on those juicy endorphins. :D

If you're only looking for a gash set, you might as well check auction sites or whatever to get as cheap a set as possible, as the quality is not going to be what I would describe as 'awesome' at £35 or £50...

So essentially, there isn't going to be a significant difference between a £20 or whatever set and a £50 set so may as well just get the cheaper set anyway?

Good idea on the eBay front KD, although I imagine postage may be high. Ill take a look on Gumtree, too.

I would say so.

To be fair, if you can get additional weights for those funny Maximuscle fitness things in Argos, then it's not as bad as it could be, but if it's only going to do you for a few months, what's the worst that could happen?

Back
Top Bottom