Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
I don't think Denis Villeneuve is involved at all in the TV show.
To be perfectly honest, none of the Dune books are terribly good writing. The world-building is incredible though.

I would be very happy to see more film/TV material based around the world of the first few books, but telling their own stories.

Everything after the first book is meh, getting worse as it goes.

Associate
His writing is marmite but far from bad. God Emperor is where it starts to get weird and drop in quality imo.

I would be very happy to see more film/TV material based around the world of the first few books, but telling their own stories.

KJA and BHerbert have written a load of stuff like that if you like fanfic.

Soldato
For someone who never read the books is it worth listening to this podcast which goes through each chapter and I'm assuming explaining some intricacies? Or other podcasts?

Soldato
His writing is marmite but far from bad. God Emperor is where it starts to get weird and drop in quality imo.

KJA and BHerbert have written a load of stuff like that if you like fanfic.
I do not like fanfic. You can tell other stories without it being horrendous writing.

There is a rich vein of content to draw from though....in the vein of Andor, telling stories set in aspects on the wider universe, so much good stuff

Bene Gesserit.
Sardaukar.
Bene Tleilax.
Navigators/Spacing Guild
The Butlerian Jihad.

Soldato
@Steampunk what would you recommend?

I only watched the first minute of that video, and his voice is absolutely grating to me. If you're going to listen to the book, I would recommend a professionally read audiobook that is going to keep you engaged with a properly acted reading of the novel. The Audible version lists twelve narrators, so that is really like a radio play, which would be a great way to experience such a seminal work. Don't spoil it with an amateur Youtube version.

I think you should initially read or listen to the book as is. I believe you should experience the work as it was meant to be experienced before you start digging into the surrounding explanations and minutiae of the lore. Half of the fun is to figure out and learn about the universe and the characters in it. You want the story to carry you along to the reveals without influence from external commentators. You want to be able to absorb and digest the storyline yourself, think about it and come to your own understanding.

It's also worth noting that if you were left confused by some aspects of the film and think you need explanations as you go, the book actually is much better at filling in the things that were cut from the movie, so you'll understand more just from getting the whole of the story. There are many things in the movie that are just touched on or cut out of the movie which are completely explained in the book.

If you want more explanation afterwards, I can also second a recommendation for Quinn's Ideas on Youtube. His videos on Dune tend to be more long form, but you can go to Nerd Cookies on Youtube for shorter, more concise videos on Dune lore.

Last edited:
Associate
^ All of that. The audible version is great, although a bit wierd in how it does things (As Steampunk says the prominent characters get their own actors, if a chapter features just them it's done like an audiodrama. If the scene features other characters it's back to the main narrator, including him voicing the other characters).

Associate
I do not like fanfic. You can tell other stories without it being horrendous writing.

There is a rich vein of content to draw from though....in the vein of Andor, telling stories set in aspects on the wider universe, so much good stuff

Bene Gesserit.
Sardaukar.
Bene Tleilax.
Navigators/Spacing Guild
The Butlerian Jihad.

I was being derisive of BHerbert's work. Yes Andor was great. Most of that has already been done iirc. Unless someone does a Disney and buys the IP cancelling BHerbert's stuff it'll be fanfic tier ********.

Soldato
Just going through the audiobook about 6 hours in. They were having dinner and there was a banker who was a secret harkonan? Don't think that was in the movie right?

Back
Top Bottom