Dune: Part 2 (2024)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Same here, never knew about dune until I watched the new movie, thought it was excellent. What would you rate part 1?

I thought it was brilliant with how they set the scene, the story, the lore, the protagonists, the antagonists. The legend and prophesy. I loved the hostile environment and how they managed to immerse the audience to Arrakis's harsh nature depicting a death world (if it was in 40k) and its equally ferocious native people, the Fremen. I was sceptical about the cast but they soon proved why they were a solid pick. The power struggle with the great houses for dominance for spice production was very clever. Overall 9/10 imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got back, even in a normal showing this was a visual and audio treat, tempted to go watch it again in Imax.

The worm riding looked amazing, didn't expect so many of certain scenes going into this if you've played Death Stranding that will give you a hint :) then again I haven't read the books so everything in this and part 1 was new to me.

Really liked how they showed the Giedi Prime, The way the planet is lit so harshly and unique, having a “black sun” that saps the colour from everything, reducing the world to greyscale, the complete lack of flora and fauna, the completely smooth and hairless inhabitants, and the horrifically beautiful black “fireworks” that are unlike anything I’ve ever seen all worked so perfectly to create this unimaginably alien and inhuman environment.

I'm all for throat singing being used and part 2 doesn't disappoint in that regard, the soundtrack has been improved from the first whilst keeping the same main themes that we all remember.

The sense of scale in this film too really does justice to some of the huge buildings and ships that are shown, especially the Emperor's.

Overall after the lackluster amount of recent film releases this feels like a great big palette cleanser that shows what can be done with films when studios don't interfere. I really hope we get a part 3 or at least another movie.

Soldato
$178m for the opening weekend so far. That's a true 3 day weekend, not a 5 or 6 day like some of the recent bombs.....

Screenshot-20240303-210811-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Agreed can see $1bn plus @Jokester.

I saw it Friday night in our local cineworld's main screen, circa 1/2 full, and deffo left needing to see it again.

So, trying to book for next week and even from tomorrow night, no seats left worth having for the odeon isense showings close by.

Last edited:
Soldato
FFS, we travelled a bit with friends to go see it yesterday on a better screen than available locally and ended up in a showing with a group of about 8-10 kids of the ADHD generation... #@!$'s

We knew they were going to be trouble during the trailers, standing up, shouting, laughing etc and yep they continued into the film. Loads of us telling them to shut up and sit down but they didn't give 1 **** :mad: By the time the staff had come in multiple times and finally got them out, with lots of drama, they had ruined the first 1/3 of the film, ******s

Have got free tickets from the cinema as compo, but you only get that first viewing once and as said, it's not a cinema that's near us at all, as it was closer to my friends. ****s

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
FFS, we travelled a bit with friends to go see it yesterday on a better screen than available locally and ended up in a showing with a group of about 8-10 kids of the ADHD generation... #@!$'s

We knew they were going to be trouble during the trailers, standing up, shouting, laughing etc and yep they continued into the film. Loads of us telling them to shut up and sit down but they didn't give 1 **** :mad: By the time the staff had come in multiple times and finally got them out, with lots of drama, they had ruined the first 1/3 of the film, ******s

Have got free tickets from the cinema as compo, but you only get that first viewing once and as said, it's not a cinema that's near us at all, as it was closer to my friends. ****s

Thats the worst unfortunately, despite a packed house our showing for once didnt have any drunken louts or obnoxious kids or people that talked loudly or played with their phones. Had that often enough and its really detracting and irritating. The cinema staff should have done something sooner.

Soldato
I saw it last night and thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed the first one, but this one raised the bar. Even my missus, who isn't a sci fi fan and wasn't excited to see it had a cry at the end and said it was worth watching, that's high praise from her! The only downside now, is having to wait a few years for the conclusion.

Associate
Saw it on Saturday, what an absolute spectacle. Big setups in the 1st movie, and big payoffs in this one. Denis continues to amaze me the way he captures what's in his mind. The production/sets on this one were so fantastically designed and just completely immersed you in it all. I'm not sure how much exactly was practical and how much was green screen, so I could be embarrasing myself here, but he comes off as the type to want to do as much practical that he can get away with. The sets and the world feels real, not like a bunch of people standing on a green screen. The whole Giedi Prime sequence was a standout and striking to look at.

Soldato
Debating going to see it (ciniworld superscreen) but the online booking is unclear where seats are. Can't even see what the room looks like.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cineworld should give you a seating plan when booking and show where the screen is, example just done this for Imax at my local for next screening:

cpDebTL.png
it does but it's just one big block. no idea if there are railings etc in the middle (sitting higher up) or how close to centre of the screen it is

Screenshot-20240304-173646-Chrome.png

The empire cinema nearby closed down so this is the nearest cinema now....

Last edited:
Soldato
i

it does but it's just one big block. no idea if there are railings etc in the middle (sitting higher up) or how close to centre of the screen it is

Screenshot-20240304-173311-Chrome.png

The empire cinema nearby closed down so this is the nearest cinema now....

Anywhere in this block and you'll be sorted with a in the middle of screen viewing experience.

YBJpq9n.png

Back
Top Bottom