Dungeons & Dragons/Pathfinder/*

Soldato
Hey fellas,

I was just curious to see how many other D&D/PF/RPG players we have on the forums.

I've recently started a new 5e game with my group and it's going well. I love the new system - it has that old-school feel to it, yet has enough new bits to make it feel like a new edition.

As ever, we're already looking at a few house rules, but that's nothing new (like the Escalation Die from 13th Age) and since the actual rules section of the PHB is only 30-odd pages long, it's quick to pick up and a pleasure to DM, and the players are enjoying the freedom the new system gives - there's no longer a list of things you can do, the world is completely open to come up with crazy combat stunts (and they have!). Plus resolving some combats in five minutes flat makes a nice change!

We are putting our 4e game on the shelf for now while we get into 5e, but we'll no doubt be back - I think it's a good system, but I think it's a little much for novices (like 50% of my group). This new edition is even looking sweet enough that we don't fall back into Pathfinder.

So, this post was purely curious about other groups on here. What do you play?

Soldato
Alternating Sunday evening games of Game of Thrones and League of Adventure.
Monthly weekend game of D&D v2 (will switch them to Pathfinder soon).
Midweek game of Traveller via Skype.

I think Pathfinder is my favourite system so far by a long way.
Apocalypse World was a bit easy but I blame the GM.

Associate
Kind of have a Dungeon World / Dark Heresy Group with two guys from here and a friend of mine, I say kinda because we have not played in about 2 months.

DW is fun and quite quick compared to Dark Heresy, but it feels quite limited at times.

DH is fun, but kinda heavy.

Soldato
We should really get our next game organised...

DW is quick but part of me doesn't like the lack of rules. I always feel I'm doing the same action with slightly different fluff around it.

Associate
We have a gaming group (board games / lan games) plan to try out some RPG/D&D stuff. Looks like its either going to be;

Starwars Edge of Galaxy
Dragon Age

Associate
We should really get our next game organised...

DW is quick but part of me doesn't like the lack of rules. I always feel I'm doing the same action with slightly different fluff around it.

yeah we do, been a busy few months though for a few of us, try and get something sorted in the next few weeks. Back to DH I think :D so get rolling your new character (I know one of you (or all of you) will make a psyker and tpk)

Soldato
OP
Nice to see there's a few players on the forum :)

Having played another session of 5e since my original post, I have to say that I really like to system more than I thought. So flexible and it's nice to have a system which provides a framework for your game, without hindering it. It used to be that I liked the kind of system which said, "this is what you can do, and as you level up, you get more options and better at doing those things" where 5e feels more like, "do whatever you want, you just might not be very good at it (but since the important bit is the die roll, not the number on your character sheet, why not give it a go?)". The way they've balanced characters and monsters as they level is quite nice as well.

Anyway, we're playing the 5e Starter Set module which is a nice little introduction to the game - and not too railroady. I like it when the party has a host of things to do and sit there arguing over what to do next :D

Soldato
Was looking for a thread like this, does anyone play pathfinder or d&d 5e?

Played this way back as a kid and really wanting to try it again, I may try and decide it isn't for me anymore but really got the itch.

If anyone plays and can let a new player (it's been that long I may as well be new!) tag along I'd be grateful.

Soldato
OP
Was looking for a thread like this, does anyone play pathfinder or d&d 5e?

Played this way back as a kid and really wanting to try it again, I may try and decide it isn't for me anymore but really got the itch.

If anyone plays and can let a new player (it's been that long I may as well be new!) tag along I'd be grateful.
We're currently playing 5e in the Northeast, but we're kinda full at the moment - 6 people in total squeezed into my dining room can be quite difficult as it is, I'm afraid. If anyone drops out, I can post a message up here, but everyone seems kind of settled at the moment, so it's somewhat unlikely.

I was planning a 5e campaign on Roll20, but dropped the idea when my normal group moved over.

Associate
Currently playing in 2 AD&D games and a 5E one. I'm part of a club in Liverpool that has its own city centre premises. We do rpg's, tabletop games and wargames (historical and 40k).

Associate
Please forgive the duplicate post :) Here's what I just posted in the "other" D & D thread, but it is relevant to both:-

Massive D & D fans here

My wife and I were partway through a 3.5 (I think) adventure but haven't touched it for a couple of years. We play as me = DM, her running two or three characters. Not ideal, but we have no-one else to play with

Last night I downloaded the free Version 5 Player & DM rules.

Does anyone have any advice to offer on how easy it will be for us to carry on or start a new adventure with just the two of us?

If it looks positive I'll buy the books right away

Soldato
OP
Sadly, I skipped an entire generation of D&D and so never played 3.5e although I understand it's somewhat like Pathfinder in scope and depth? If so, I think you'll find the move to 5e fairly straightforward (it has moved away from 4e quite dramatically). It's D&D at its core, with classes, races, spells and skills. It has enough new things to make you go "oohhhh, that's cool!" (advantage/disadvantage, magic system) and enough old things to make you think, "yeah, that's D&D!"

I'd strongly suggest starting over. Have you considered the Starter Set? It's not that expensive, has a nice introductory module in it (although it has its flaws), and some fairly well-fleshed out PCs with room for development. It means you can get a good feel for the game without shelling out on the books.

I run a little personal blog on our 5e adventures if you'd like a read - send me a trust if you'd like the link.

Associate
Sadly, I skipped an entire generation of D&D and so never played 3.5e although I understand it's somewhat like Pathfinder in scope and depth? If so, I think you'll find the move to 5e fairly straightforward (it has moved away from 4e quite dramatically). It's D&D at its core, with classes, races, spells and skills. It has enough new things to make you go "oohhhh, that's cool!" (advantage/disadvantage, magic system) and enough old things to make you think, "yeah, that's D&D!"

I'd strongly suggest starting over. Have you considered the Starter Set? It's not that expensive, has a nice introductory module in it (although it has its flaws), and some fairly well-fleshed out PCs with room for development. It means you can get a good feel for the game without shelling out on the books.

I run a little personal blog on our 5e adventures if you'd like a read - send me a trust if you'd like the link.

Hey there - thanks for taking the time to write that up.

I've spent this morning (the joys of owning one's own company! ;) ) watching YouTube vids on 5e and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I'll actually probably avoid the starter set, having seen what it contains, as we have heaps of dice, enjoy creating characters from scratch, have the free PDFs (which seem to have more content) and I enjoy writing my own adventures.

That said, two of the separate starter campaigns (Hoard and Tiamat?) look interesting too.

My shopping list currently looks like:-

Player's Handbook
DM's Guide
Monster Manual
The DM screen (looks ace - and massive!)
Those two campaign books
Some "couch vinyl" and gaming paper to make a new battle mat as per the YouTube tutorial I've just watched

Anyone know if the commercially available campaigns can be adjusted for just one Play Char? Mrs. M. has enjoyed playing two or three at once, but it's not easy as she doesn't have a background in the game like I do (been playing since about 1983, with huge gaps :( )

Cheers gamers.

Edit - tried to do the Trust thingy but no idea if it worked or not!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom