1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVLA Tax Disc Problem: Help!!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by kr236rk, Dec 18, 2010.

1. kr236rk

Associate

Hi,

My tax disc expires 31st December. Have been waiting for the DVLA V11 form to give me my unique reference number so I can buy a new tax disc, either online or down the Post Office. But the form has not arrived.

I cannot email the DVLA because they refuse to give out email addresses. I just spent 2 days trying to contact them by phone and all you get is an electronic switchboard asking you questions. It also asks you for the unique reference number - that's the one lost in the post.

So I'm now faced with being unable to buy a new tax disc over the PO counter or ordering one online - which would probably not reach me in time anyway due to the seasonal post situation.

Add to this the extreme weather (all types) we are now subject to in the UK: what is the logic behind an electronic registering system which relies on letter post for the delivery of key information ~ the unique reference number?

Add to this that the DVLA are part of the Civil Service - public servants paid for by us, the public, and you cannot contact them to ask a simple question like "Where is my V11 please, what should I do?"

Going round in circles here :mad:

Please advise -

Thanks,

Ric

2. MrMoonX

PermaBanned

use your v5 reference number online, whats hard about that? you dont need the v11 reminder to tax it online or at the post office as long as you have your V5.

Maybe you should have read the section on the dvla website about how to tax without a reminder before you **** them off???

3. 4T5

Man of Honour

Why can't you do it at the post office just taking your MOT & Insurance, You don't need a form any more they scan the bar code on the logbook slip.

4. kr236rk

Associate

Thanks - you may have answered in 5 seconds what the DVLA couldn't over 2 whole days!
    ;)

5. kr236rk

Associate

Thanks. Will the current MOT be okay for this? - the new MOT isn't for a couple of days.

R

6. MrMoonX

PermaBanned

their website could have told you that? :rolleyes:

7. kr236rk

Associate

Thanks but - not that I could see? - but what threw me was the V11, it never turned up :(

8. AtreuS

Soldato

Probably not, depends on the person at the counter. They usually like you to have at least a few weeks cover on the MOT and insurance.

9. kr236rk

Associate

What do you mean by the logbook please - you mean the book the garage stamp after the MOT?

R

10. kr236rk

Associate

Oh Kripes, I'll just have to submit the paper work and grit my teeth I guess - what a great system!

:eek:

11. Janesy B

Capodecina

The V5c, commonly known as a logbook.

12. Fr0dders

Caporegime

As posted already the V5c form that you have, that confirms who the registered keeper of the vehicle is, is what you need.

No idea why its called a logbook considering its not a book ! nor does it log particularly much other than the last keeper !

Probably a story behind it ?

13. 4T5

Man of Honour

Log means something completely different to me these days. :D

14. kr236rk

Associate

yep, it means the form V5C

;)

thanks to all :)

typical that we all refer to this form as a log BOOK when it's just a piece of paper, and hardly anyone talks about the form number: very confusing because there is also the service book to contend with of course!

beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel though - many thanks!

:)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  15. Dogbreath

Capodecina

The MOT needs to be valid on the month that the tax starts i.e. you couldn't get a tax disc starting from January if your MOT expires in December.

16. kr236rk

Associate

KRIST!

that means a sprint from the MOT garage to the Post Office?

no wait a mo - my MOT expires 01, Jan 2011: how does this look please?

:-o

17. Janesy B

Capodecina

You can renew the MOT a month before hand and keep the expiry date the same, so you renew the MOT whenever and either apply for your tax online with the V5c document number or go into a post office. You are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

18. kr236rk

Associate

OK thanks - the issue would never have arisen had the V11 turned up, at least I finally know what the Log Book looks like now: so a silver lining! ;)

19. Dave85

Sgarrista

going to have to go to the post office as well damn tax running out on the 31st December :D

20. GSDog

Soldato

I ordered mine online using the V5C reference number. Only took about 3 or 4 days to arrive.